Fitness

Tuney

Well, ski season is around the corner for those of us who don't ski year round. Who has kept up with their fitness goals? What kind of programs are you on? I've had a steady diet of squats and deadlifts, I work everything in the gym on a 5 day split (move to 4 day split when trying to cut weight) but I am hoping my skiing will really benefit from those two lifts. I should be a lean 155 by ski season... I was skiing at 175 most of last season. 

• Baller
I'm coming off of shoulder surgery (3.5 months post op) and it will be several more months before I can lift any weight, so my upper body is pretty much out the window.  I have been doing cardio, managing to keep the weight reasonable after 2 consecutive winters of surgery rehab.  My ortho stil says no skiing until August, so I guess I don't need to be in a hurry.http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cry.gif

• Administrators

I have lost almost 10 pounds since January 1. The first 5 pounds came off faster and easier then the next five. I try to get into the gym three or four times a week but that is a little hit and miss.

Yeah Marco, I remember reading about that in another thread. Really sucks, but at least you can keep the lower half of you moving to keep you in shape. I crashed a motorcycle awhile back and that had me laid up for awhile, I couldn't move and I got chubby. Then I lost motivation and got fat.

P90X and crossfit both seem like appropriate programs for overall fitness. I have a friend that is really into crossfit so I tried it out. I like some of their movements, but not others (like those kiping pullups).

John, good going that is a good pace. I found when I really started paying attention to what was going into my mouth my weight loss was a lot more consistent. If you hit a wall try counting calories. Also, I stopped drinking calories, except beer.

• Administrators
I am counting every calorie. Or was when I was losing weight faster. And NO Beer, Wine or Booze. Think I have had 3 glassed of wine since 1/1/11

• Baller_
I've been at it since November. Three days a week lifting, three days on the bike, two days at the mountain telemark skiing. I've regained a lot of strength and overall fitness, but the weight is still plus 8 over where I need to be. I'm going to continue doing what I am doing for another 5 weeks to finish my program, then I'm going to start HIIT to try to cut the rest of the weight, although I assume I'll be down to plus 3 or 4 at that point. I'll also be on the water around 4/1.

Lpskier

Since I've started with what I call ski training no more wait is coming off, wanted to lose 10 by summer. Question muscle weighs more than fat? So I need to stop training to lose? In 5th week of busted up knees will have lots of work on the lower body once I can bend them again so might is well work upstairs! My Ortho wont tell me even if I can ski this coming season, got to be ready.

• Baller

jefflyman wrote "Since I've started with what I call ski training no more wait is coming off, wanted to lose 10 by summer. Question muscle weighs more than fat? So I need to stop training to lose? "

Yes, muscle weighs more than fat.  They say don't worry about the scale, look in the mirror and see what you look like naked.  If you're slimming down you're losing fat and likely replacing it with muscle whether you weigh less or not.  If you quit training and you're losing weight it's as likely to be lost muscle as fat.  Good diet is 80% of losing weight/body fat percentage.  Don't quit.  Clean up the diet (kick the junk carbs) and add some cardio to drop fat.  Beer (maltose) unfortunately is one of the worst carbs.  #1 rule of weight loss - don't drink your calories.

I've knuckled down more this off season than ever before, wanna get that one more ball to put me into 38 this year.  Dropped from 200 to around 194 by cleaning up my diet and doing more cardio in addition to the regular lifting etc.  More important than losing weight is the roll around the waist in finally (slowly) leaving.  Not completely but better than it's been in a very long time.  Wife has even noticed!

Started back in the gym 2 days after my last ski back in later October.  Work once a week with a trainer and once a week with my 23 year old gym rat son which is like having a 2nd trainer, plus 2 other workouts a week.  I'm probably in the best condition I've been in in a whole lot of years; not bad for an old f**k.  Can't wait for spring!

Ed

Jefflyman, keep lifting weights. You will only add muscle mass if you are eating a caloric surplus. On a deficit you are preventing atrophy more than anything. Even if you were adding a little muscle, people trying to add muscle by eating a surplus and lifting properly still only put on about a pound of muscle a month. Your fat loss will more than counteract any muscle gain if you are eating below your bodies maintenance level.

• Baller

Just doing anything in the winter is a must.  I lift heavy things 4x a week in the winter, short track skate 2x a week and hit cardio on a couple of the weightlifting days.  I do core every time I'm in the gym, as my low back is the most delicate part of my dainty physique. 

I typically put on 10lbs of muscle in the winter (up to around 200), then lose it again during ski season as I do not lift weights at all during ski season.  I just do core, stretch and ski.  As for earlier comments about body composition vs. weight, I would say the following.  Whether it is muscle or fat, skiing heavier is definitively harder.  The lighter I get during the ski season, the easier it is on my body overall.  I plan to increase cardio and lift easier in March to start cutting weight before ski season this year given what I've learned voer the years about weight and skiing.  Closer to 190 is the best for me (I have skied as big as 210).    

Wow, most of you guys weight what I do, yes skiing at a lighter weight is huge in energy savings. I found that out last summer after loseing 25 lbs and now 200. Not sure what the P90X is but after knee surgery on both 5 weeks ago I'm limited to what I can do. I hired a trainer to help out in the gym 2 days a week because I cannot stand by myslef in double braces. He spent alot of time investigating our sport and the muscle groups. He's got me stretching more than weight training and it hurts! He says flexability is as important as strength and hes makeing dam sure I can, ouch.... but does feel good. Told him last night he should make a dvd for my skiing buddies. Any info I get here I pass on to him keep it coming, please.

Skidog... Your not serious about drink more beer and eat pizza are you??? I'll have to check with my trainer first, lol . Anything is better than sitting on a couch day after day healing I guess. 

• Baller

"Skidog... Your not serious about drink more beer and eat pizza are you??? I'll have to check with my trainer first, lol . Anything is better than sitting on a couch day after day healing I guess. "

If you knew him, you'd know how utterly hilarious this question is. Also, P90x is an intense workout video series by Tony Horton (that lasts for 90 days). Part cardio, part strength and 100% crazy. It'll get you in shape for sure but you definitely need good knees.

Ed- if you can't handle plyo you can always do the cardio workout instead, you'll still see results!

• Baller
This is my second round of P90X, I have some sort of "itis" in both of my knees. I was concerned about doing P90X because all sorts of activities cause my knees to become inflamed (including slalom). I was surprised that they actually felt better to some degree after getting acclimated to the routines, I assume it's due to the warmup, stretching, exercise, cool down. Don't get me wrong, it didn't give me the knees of a 20 year old (I'm 51), but I'm very pleased with the program. I do put in more rest days than they do unless you count that I'm also skiing 1 or 2 sets a week through the winter. I'll probably complete it in closer to 115-120 days as opposed to 90.

• Baller

Skifreak - thanks for the suggestion.  Actually I'm doing 25 - 40 minutes of cardio at least 3x a week now (rower, stair mill, elyptical, strider, spin bike) on top of the other stuff, don't know if I could handle any more.  My trainer hammers me on core and legs; my knees are definitely better for it (like 9400 said) but they'll never be right.  Both have had meniscus and torn cartiledge repairs, I wear a Breg full metal brace (like NFL linemen wear) on my right knee to ski as is (MCL issues).  Age ain't helping either (55).  But I'm still kicking it as best I can.  Might take another look at P90X next year, too close to the season now.  Working on the knees and quads, stretching etc like 9400 said definitely seems to be helping.

Scot - if you only added 3 lbs you're doing pretty damn good IMO.

Ed

I went Fla. in late Oct. and skied at Chet's for a week skied well. Chet to go home a work on my core and balance. Started going to the gym in early Nov. and worked out 3 days a week. Just got back from FLA. skied with Chet again 3 sraight days 2 sets and day 16-20 passes had not skied since the last time I was there in Oct. Was not sore the whole time there and skied better than I ever have. I'm also 55 yrs. and have had 6 different knee surgery's 4 ACL's alone both rotator's fixed along with 3 bones removed from wrist due to arthritis all due to years of motorcycle racing. Working out over the winter is the key to good skiing ( strenght ,core and balance) IMHO

Skied on my new A2 LOVE it!

• Baller

I did p90x last year to get myself ready for ski season and it really worked.  Went from 173 down to 155...gained strength, flexibility, endurance.  I didn't even get sore in the spring season skiing.

I felt p90x was a little too much for an in-season workout however.  I tired to keep up for about 4 - 5 weeks during May/June timeframe and just couldn't do it.  The upper body workouts really affected my skiing performance.

I picked up Insansity (from Beachbody.com the makers of p90x) and it's ALL cardio, core, plyo and it's really really hard.  But since there's much less resistance training I'm going to use this as my in-season workout program.

The exercise guru behind p90x is not Tony Horton (he's just the face man).

The brain's behind it all is a fellow named Steve Edwards; his blog is here - http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/

Check it out, there's a new p90x coming out soon called p90 mc2 (mc = "muscle confusion")