A2

• Baller
I am looking for a new ski this year. I currently ride a 2007 F1 but would like to get into either an A2, Z7ST, or Strada.  Just wondering if with things warming up down south people have had more experience on the A2.  My brother has the A1 and likes it but says he has to really stay "on top" of the ski to keep it moving.  I think he means to keep a lot of the ski in the water.  The little bit I have read the A2 is a little more forgiving than the A1 with all the positives.  Also any suggestions on size.  On the chart I think I am at 67.  I am 6' and 190 with like most people hoping to lose 20lbs.  I have only skied the course a few times and can sometimes get through 22 off at 34 mph but have bought a portable slalom course and want to hit it hard this summer to get through 28 off.  I do slow down to 32 to start learning a pass.  Still have a couple of months until the ice disappears up here so hoping to make up my mind before summer (in Canada that means sometime in June).

• Baller
Thanks for the advice MS.  I like the used idea which limits the options for the A2 as it is so new.  I have seen a few Stradas on SIA which is an option and it appears it is only cosmetic differences between 2011 and 2010.  I have also talked with Tadd at H2Oz and he was very helpful but by the time I ship skis back and forth from Canada I will have paid for two skis. 

• Baller

Moved to a 67 Strada at the end of last summer.

Found it to be very friendly.You wouldn't regret buying one used without trying it first.

6'2" 192#.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

I know it’s tough but if at all possible you really should try to ski them before you buy if you can. I’ve tested each one of those on your list this winter, in my opinion they are each very different from one another. They are all good skis just need to find the one you are most comfortable on.

It’s not that the A2 is more forgiving it’s just does everything better than the A1. The ZST is a good ski I wish it had more liveliness is all. A lot of people like the Strada there’s merit to that though I couldn’t find the balance I was looking for.

Have you thought about finding a Radar Senate C this is a great ski at good price point. A good friend is on that ski it’s helped him a great deal, he’s running the same length you are.

• Baller

So, I am not really a ski guru but most of the video I watch seems to show the Strada ripping but the tip seems to be way out of the water and guys riding the tail pretty hard.  Seems to work but does not look balanced watching it.  Is this just my perception or reality.  People seem to say it is very stable but the few clips I have seen of people skiing it appears to be the opposite eventhough they are ripping through the course.  It may just be the shorter line lengths.  It seems at 41 all the skiers on any ski seem to about get ripped out of the water on the turn and then have to reset and go hard. 

I have thought about the Vice which is also at a nice price point but I just can't bring myself to ride that pimped out ugly ski.  I asked if they would change the graphics as there are lots of guys like me who would prefer a ski that actually looks nice but no luck.  I think Radar shot themselves in the foot on that one not offering two graphic options.  I only know 6-7 hardcore skiers and 6 out of the 7 said they were interested inthe ski until they saw the graphics.  That being said 6 out of the 7 were over the age of 30 which appears to be about 95% of the waterski demographic.  I am 36 and am the second youngest somewhat serious skier at my lake.

I have thought about the Senate C and the few guys I have talked to said I am definitely in the Senate C range but for where I am now and hoping to get to they recommended the Strada over the Senate C.  As I haven't ridden either I don't know but that is what I was told.  I have heard the Senate C rocks so maybe it is back on the list.  I know guys can ride it deep into the course but I know the same guys can run a combo ski deep into the course.

Baumer, your comment on the A2 almost sold me saying it was better all around than the A1.

So, maybe a Senate C until I am through 28 and then go to a A2 or Strada next year if things progress?  I have to admit it is hard on my ego to not buy the top of the line ski even though it may not be the best option for me.

Sorry for the rambling.  I have writtenthis over 6 interupted phone calls.  Darn work:)

• Baller

Pimped out ugly ski?  Hey Horton can you revoke his login?  I turn 42 in a couple weeks and dig my Vice graphics. Detoured a few weeks to try an X7, but back on my Radar prepping for the season. Another buddy testing the A2 next week. He can run 39 pretty well so will be good info. By the way, saw a Vice run 39 @ 36 pretty easy today. Graphics looked pretty dam good doing that!

Can't go wrong with the Senate C, Vice, or the Strada. I have ridden each one into 39 during practice. They like the tip a little looser than most skis, but also are forgiving, fast and easy on your body.

• Baller

Sorry MAD11, to each their own.  The Vice is a great ski and probably looked great in your slammed ElCamino with hydrolics and fuzzy dice pulling the boat to the lake with all the honeys:)   I just barely signed up so you can't revoke me yet.  From my lurking I think I have a ways to go to catch up to Horton's love of MS. 

MAD, I would love to hear how your buddy likes the A2 after a few rides.  Sounds like you guys have a bit more skill in the course than I do but your review would be really helpful.  Sounds like you are a Radar guy.  Any advice as to my skill level and Stada or Senate C.  My heart says Strada and guys are seeming to say it is forgiving enough for a rookie like me but the Senate C might be a better fit.  If it is close I will go Strada just so I can feel like a big dawg on the dock. 

• Baller

FWIW I think the graphics on the Vice are butt ugly too Anderson.  Looks like a fugitive from a wakeboard graphics shop.  My opinion.  Doesn't change how well is skis though.

Your comment on ego was spot on - leave your ego out of it and go for a ski in your ability range that will still allow you the head room to progress and you'll make progress more quickly.  Been there...  IMO a Senate C or maybe the Vice would be the correct ski for you from the Radar line.  There is an arguement for the statement that the Strada is forgiving enough for someone at your ability level (34 mph, 22 off).  IMO if the Strada were that forgiving why would they build the Senate C or the Vice, which as I understand it are the two steps below the Strada?  I ski a Strada and love it and I agree that it is a forgiving ski; I'm at mid 35 on mine though.  The skiers I work with who are at your level or below are on Senate's and Senate C's.  You asked for advice, that's mine FWIW.

Cheers, Ed   

According to Radar, the new Senate is from the Strada rocker.  The 2010 Senate is from the RS-1 rocker.  The new Senate, according to Grant, their rep, is a bit more forgiving and smoother out of the completion of the turn.  As ice still covers my lake, I do not know from personal experience.  I have the older Senate design and love it.

• Baller

"Sounds like a Radar guy"

MAD11 having a preference for one ski or ski brand is like Charlie Sheen only having one girlfriend.

But back to the original question - when I was looking a new ski I tried an Elite, Z7ST and Strada. All three had different personalities. Unless you are going to pick up a used one on SIA super cheap always try before you buy.

• Baller

Ok, this has gotten out of hand and I only hope MS jumps in to add some sanity to this conversation. The El Camino was such a awesome ride that the Australians still make the same dam thing we gave up on in 1980 and call it a yute. (or something like that) I would proudly drive one to the lake if my pimped out and raised Polaris was broken down and I needed a lift to the dock.(Although, you guys must remember that the BOS 2010 Intergalactic Champ lives here too and she may not be willing to ride in an El Camino)

The Senate C 2011 is a great option.  I rode an early version and it was fun. Actually, really easy through 38. You could not go wrong with the Vice. The graphics may even loosen you up a bit and make you feel younger. Live a little! Strada is great, but not necessary. It's a buyers choice at this point. The clear thing is that Radar does offer the most versatile line that gives you options.The X7 is the best D3 ski I have ridden, but I'm not sure when our water is 96 degrees in Aug if I would have the energy to ride it. Made me work a lot.

"Don't Forget the Ballers Bash at Aquaplex Sept 3rd and 4th. Don't miss it! "

• Baller
Thanks for all the help guys.  I am heading to Dallas area to ski with my brother in May so I might have H2oz send a 2011 senate c with double strada bindings to give a rip.  If I don't like I can send back and try one of the other options.  Easier to do in Texas than Canada.  Maybe I need to change the Dallas trip to an H2Oz trip and try them all.  I am now going to make the Vice my screen saver and drink good beverages to see if I can get a positve association going with the graphics.  However, looking at the graphics LSD might be a better option.

• Baller

Shane, As she gets older I'm sure you will be proven right. 

Andersonskiteam, Now that I know your Canadian there is no excuse for lack of appreciation for the Vice graphics. It is a proud Canadian team members signature edition. I hear talk of modifying your flag to match the ski is in the works.  If in TX your welcome to come here and ski a set or two and continue the conversation. Only other advice is never try  a new ski and bindings at the same time unless your expectations are low. Much more difficult to adapt to new bindings than a new ski.

MS must not be feeling well. I give him the opportunity to talk crap on red neck cars, skis and all kinds of stuff and that's all we get.

• Administrators

I need to clarify for Anderson that Senate is not the same ski between 2010 and 2011. The 2010 ski is based on the old RS one shape in the 2011 ski is based on the Strada shape. The new ski is just way better.

As for the graphics on the vice, yeah whatever if it is good who cares. The rumor is that some of the first drafts of the graphics were way crazier than the ones for sale. I spoke to Trent a few weeks ago about the ski and he's really fired up. He's going against conventional wisdom making a somewhat heavier and more dampened ski. To hear him explain it, it sounds like a very good idea.

• Administrators
Considering the design team I am very excited about the A2. My current plan is, it will be the second ski I reviewed this year. I'm just waiting for the weather.

I don't think many people have had a chance to ride this ski yet and that’s why you may be getting that impression. I can tell you that coming off an A1 and now riding an A2 it is a much, much better ski. I think this ski will surprise a lot people in the next few months.

I’ve struggle to find the analogies to describe the differences since I started riding the A2. For me what the A1 did well the A2 does better. It casts out better, it doesn’t bite at the end of your offside turn and seems even more symmetrical throughout the course not just at the turns, and it’s a lot freer. It’s one of those same sept different sayings though the difference if very noticeable in a good way. To me it rides somewhat like the Elite but has more grip at the first wake and then releases really smooth/quick out to the ball and is smoother off the ball, not as twitchy. I tried each of the new skis this winter they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses but for me the A2 was by far the best, probably because I was coming off the A1. HO did a good job of updating this ski.

FWIW, a friend of mine tried the A2 and liked it but he just came off a Goode 9900 to new Elite and likes the Elite better.

• Baller
The good skiers I've seen on the A1, looked REALLY, REALLY good.  Especially the 36mph ones. At 36mph, the ski seemed to always finish with a lot of angle and not bleed momentum after the apex.  I watched Tyler Boyd, who had never run past 4 at 38 off get on one last year and after a few months on it started running 3+ at 39.5 at 36.  That's a big improvement over the course of just about 60 days. 

• Administrators
Interesting thing about the A1, at the Diablo Pro Am last year I noticed many of the unsponsored elite skiers on A1s and 9900s. Seemed to be those two skis way more than other skis. Totally unscientific

I personally don't like qualifying what I feel by speed and length, because what I feel is what I feel from a ski and you may feel something completely different.

I'm a 55k skier averaging 100 balls in practice at the end of last season, sucking in tournaments.

• Baller

baumer,

not 100% sure I understand your answer. Obviously line length and speed are crucial for talking about a ski. I am pretty sure the A1, A2, 9900, Z7 and Warp suck @ 43 kph. People I hear talking about the A2 feeling stiffer are 32 off to low 35 off skiers 55k.

Ral,

All I’m say is one really needs to try a ski to find the one that feels the best. For instance my friend is a 55k skier skis into 35 off is 6 foot weighs 200 and likes his Elite better. I’m 6 foot weigh 160 ski 55k into 38 off and like the A2 better. I didn’t notice the A2 being any stiffer than the A1, but the Elite is stiffer than the A2.