Virtual Tournaments this summer for Ball Of Spray

Bud Man

How would it be as a motivator to start a thread where all interested skiers could post a score the four Wednesdays of a month; the first three would be averaged together for the handicap and the last Wednesday would be used for the most improved score. We could take our score from the (first off the dock cutting the rope.) Just like a regular tournament, but once you get your score, you can finish your set without changing your score. It would not matter what your level was, the handicap would level the field. If it works the first month, then we can continue.

We can use the rules below, but modify them for what we are doing.

Who is interested? And are there any suggestions? I don’t mind doing the math and posting the results. Is this OK with yo John?

http://sites.google.com/site/skilittledawg/Home/rules

Handicapped Rules (BEFORE WE MODIFY FOR BOS)

First two rounds will not count towards the head to head. They will count towards your USAWS ranking as any other tournament.

You will know your competitor in the first round of the head to head prior to the tournament starting.

When it is your pair’s time to ski, we will flip a coin. The winner will have the choice of picking their boat (2 boats will be in the water), or they can elect to go first or second. If they decide to pick the boat, the loser of the coin toss can elect to go first or second.

During the head to head, you will need to start 3 passes back from your average (on USAWS rankings list). For example, if your average is 3 at 35off, you will start each round at 28 off. Another example, if your average is 4 at 15off 34mph (your max speed), then you will start at 15off / 32mph.

The first skier will ski his/her opening pass and wait at the opposite end of the lake. The second skier will ski his/her opening pass and join you at the other end of the lake. This will continue until someone misses a pass. The second skier will need to get at least a 1/4 a buoy better than the first skier. If there is a tie, the first skier will win and advance.

Most of the handicaps will be taken care of by everyone starting 3 passes back from their average. However, there may be cases where one skier’s average is 5 at their hardest pass, when the competitor’s average is 1 at their hardest pass. In that case, the latter skier will have 4 buoys added to their score. If the difference is 1.5 buoys or less we are not going to worry about the difference. The additional handicap will only apply if the difference exceeds 1.5 buoys at the competitors’ hardest pass. The examples below should help.

Example 1:

Skier A has a 3.5 @ 38off average.

Skier B has a 2 @ 35off average.

Buoy difference equal to or less than 1.5. No handicap applied.

Skier A will start at 32 off. Skier B will start at 28 off. As the head to head begins, Skier A and Skier B both run their first two passes. Skier A comes back and gets 2 @ 38. Skier B will then have to get at least 2 ¼ at 35 to win and proceed to the next round.

Example 2:

Skier C has a 5 at 35 off average

Skier D has a 1 at 32 off average

Buoy difference greater than 1.5. 4 buoys given to skier D.

Skier C will start at 28 off. Skier D will start at 22 off. As the head to head begins, Skier C and D run their opening pass. Skier C gets 5 on his/her second pass. Skier D will then need to get 1 ¼ on his/her second pass to win.

• Baller

Here are last years rules from last June. @Horton these correct?

The Official Rules (Unless someone convinces me otherwise)

Entries are 1 per month

Cost is $1.00

The first official round will be June 2010

Your highest single score from any USAWS event in the month of June 2010 will be your score.

Your June score will be subtracted from your handicap

Your handicap will equal your 2009 USAWS Ranking Score

The skier with the highest delta score wins

The Winner will receive one EZ-Fin Tool & One BallOfSpray T-Shirt

John,

What I was proposing would be totally different from EZFTC and would not take away from EZFTC.

I think my tournament proposal would add excitement to skiing and to your Website. And it is a training exercise for the skiers.

It would just be another thread, so no extra work for you.

Example:

We all pick a weekday ahead of time that will be our tournament days. Ski your first set on that day, cutting the rope until you miss or fall. That is you score. You can continue to ski that set, but it does not change your score. When you get back home, log you score on the BOS thread. Do this once a week for a month. I will average the first three weeks score and then calculate the difference between that average and the fourth score. Whoever has the highest difference wins that month. This handicap would not totally level the playing field, because the people at longer lines and slower speeds often reach PBs more often showing faster improvement. However, when I list the results at the end of the month, you can compare your score with your competitor friend (where ever they live), sort of your own “who won this month”.

Speaking for myself; if I know I am going to post my score, I will feel some sort of tournament pressure.

So now what do you think John? What would it hurt? What would it help? What do we have to lose? What do we have to gain?

If the first format does not work, we can try to adjust with suggestions.

• Baller

Bud,

The reason you want to use the honor system and not the rules from the EZFTC from last year is that you do not ski tournaments correct? The system you are proposing is virtually the same as the EZFTC but with out utilizing the official scores from tournaments.

This is good input.

Honor system – yes What would be the point in cheating?

Anyone able to video can add it it they wanted to.

We could follow score with PPC, PPSG or ZO.

Matt, You are correct, I rarely ski tournaments. I thought this might be a way to put a bit of pressure on us without having to leave home and have fun doing it.

If it works we could do it once a month. No one has to do it. It would just be a new thread each month.

I can post some examples but I did not want to take the time if John does not want us to have the tournaments.

• Administrators
You guys can feel free to do whatever you want. I like the idea of a honor system tournament but for 2011 BallOfSpray is doing a bigger version of the EZFTC

This is an example of scoring. There are just three people here but I would post the entire order of everyone. Even if you and your competition buddy across the country are half way down the list there would still be that competition between each other.

Even if you are trying different skis or just starting back, it does not matter; just put a note under your score. We have nothing to lose and so much to gain. It is free and should be fun.

1st place went to Jill, 2nd place went to Pat, and 3rd place went to Jack.

Jill, Girls 2, Wednesday April 6, 2011, 5 @ 15 off, ZO, 65 buoys

Jill, Girls 2, Tuesday April 12, 2011, 2.5 @ 15 off, ZO, 62.5 buoys

Jill, Girls 2, Thursday April 21, 2011, 1.25 @ 15 off, ZO, 61.25 buoys

Average for Jill is 62.917, ZO

Jill, Girls 2, Friday April 29, 2011, 4.25 @ 15 off, ZO, 64.25 buoys

Jill’s score is 1.333, ZO

Jack, Men 3, Thursday April 7, 2011, 4@ 35 off, PPC, 94 buoys

Jack, Men 3, Thursday April 14, 2011, 3.5@ 35 off, PPC, 93.5 buoys

Jack, Men 3, Thursday April 21, 2011, 5.5@ 35 off, PPC, 95.5 buoys

Average for Jack is 94.333, PPC

Jack, Men 3, Saturday April 30, 2011, 5@ 35 off, PPC, 95 buoys

Jack’s score is 0.666 PPC

Pat, Men 1, Tuesday April 5, 2011, 5@ 32 off, PPSG, 95 buoys

Pat, Men 1, Thursday April 14, 2011, 3@ 32 off, PPSG, 93 buoys

Pat, Men 1, Wednesday April 20, 2011, 5.5@ 32 off, PPSG, 95.5 buoys

Average for Jack is 94.5, PPC

Pat, Men 1, Friday April 29, 2011, 5.5@ 32 off, PPSG, 95 buoys

Pat’s score is 1 PPSG

Let’s have a head count. Who would like to give this a shot? I am one. Now who else?

• Administrators

The 2011 version is on the back burner for a month or so. Bud if you want to admin it that would be great. I just can not deal w/ it at the moment

The April tournament is on.

My plans are to count my score on Wednesdays this April, (weather permitting) but you can pick your own days. I post the winning order at the end of the month. If you ski, you will be one of the winners.

Please use this format for posting your scores so that I can transfer it to spreadsheet efficiently.

Name, Division, Day, Date [April ?, 2011], speed [kph as shown in Slalom Buoy Quick-Count Chart] Speed control [PPC or PPSG or ZO or hand], number of buoys (see attached chart)

Example:

Jill, Girls 2, Wednesday April 6, 2011, 55 kph, 5 @ 15 off, 18.25m, 65 buoys, ZO

Or if Jill has not gotten up to her max speed, and is at (28.6 mph) and is still at 18.25m, see below:

Jill, Girls 2, Wednesday April 6, 2011, 46 kph, 5 @ 15 off, 18.25m, 23 buoys, ZO

Or if Jill has not gotten up to her max speed, and is at (28.6 mph) and is still at full line 23m, see below:

Jill, Girls 2, Wednesday April 6, 2011, 46 kph, 5 @ 0 off, 23m, 23 buoys, ZO

Feel free to make notes below your post like: 15 mph head/tail. Or Stiff cross wind.

Most scoring answers can be found on the attached Slalom Buoy Quick-Count Chart, and other things like ½ and ¼ buoys can be found in the attached Rule book.

To help get the most out of the “tournament feel” plan ahead of time the days your score will count. This is all about fun, so you cannot really cheat anyone but yourself.

Come on beginners and seasoned skiers, boys, girls, men and women. The more the merrier.

I am open for suggestion on the way to do things. Post any question also.

If you have any questions that you do not want to post, you can contact me at budlake1 at yahoo dot com.

richarddoane,

In an attempt to get a little tournament pressure; One round per week and pick the days ahead of time. First three rounds averaged and fourth round shows most improved over that average.

Post from above: “How would it be as a motivator to start a thread where all interested skiers could post a score the four Wednesdays of a month; the first three would be averaged together for the handicap and the last Wednesday would be used for the most improved score. We could take our score from the (first off the dock cutting the rope.) Just like a regular tournament, but once you get your score, you can finish your set without changing your score. It would not matter what your level was, the handicap would level the field. If it works the first month, then we can continue.”

jdarwin,

You don’t need a third to judge. Your assessment is good enough. And use whatever boat and speed control you have. You post your speed control type by your score (see post above) and any other notes below your score if you wish.

Let’s have fun everyone!

This is about having fun and trying to put a little tournament pressure on ourselves. Also, the way the score is recorded, we should be able to freshen up the conversions in our heads. i.e. 14.25m = 28 off etc…

Everyone that skis, wins.

clemsondave,

Look at the eight line down in the first post of this thread, then say oops I overlooked it, then say yea man I’m going to participate in this virtual tournament.

The first time you posted those rules a while back I thought it was so cool. I would love to do that head to head.

The closest I have ever come to head to head was runoffs at state championships. Once in M2 against Rick Anderson and second was M3 against Dean Collins. The crazy thing is that I rarely ski tournaments so I am first off the dock when I do ski one. Then when I tied those guys for first place, they had just skied. Before the State championship when I was in M3, I would practice 12m right off the dock. It paid off, because that is the loop we had to start on and it had been a long while since I skied and Dean had just skied.

So are you in?

....She is 14.... But she kicks everyone's ass! Fierce competitor. She had to win the last tournament to win the championship. I think she got 3 PB's that day.

Bud, I did see that, no mention of where you got it. A few of us worked pretty hard on this concept. No big deal....

I got a little lazy last year and did not publish the other 'tour stop' points, but here is a link to the 2009 points. At the bottom of the spreadsheet, you can see a link to each 'tour stop'.

https://sites.google.com/site/skilittledawg/Home/2009-points