Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Now Defunct Ski Companies Of the World

jipster43

• Baller

This is kind of a companion thread to Scot Chipman's "Waterski companies of the world". How many waterski companies are now defunct but hold a place in your heart? For me it's these three:

1.) EP - First real slalom ski my brothers and I had.

2.) Excel - Somehow my family received a prototype for free. My dad knew someone I guess, 'cause my oldest brother had only skied in one tournament.

3.) Cut 'N Jump - I learned to ski on a set of 67" Cut 'N Jumps. I weighed about 40lbs, had to wear shoes to fit into the bindings, and could stand up as soon as the boat went into gear.

I'm also going to include KIDDER even though D3 lives on. I grew up on Lake Tapps (Sumner, WA - home of Denny Kidder). If you skied Lake Tapps in the 80's you were either on a KIDDER or an HO. The KIDDER crew was way more obnoxious and dominant. The HO crowd were usually the folks that wished they lived in Redmond or on Lake Sammamish.

JP :)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller
Stinger. I still have an orange and yellow Stinger slalom in the basement. How about Northland I also have a Northland Bantam although my dad stripped it and painted it yellow. Western Wood is another one that comes to mind I bought a Western Wood slalom ski from Carl Roberge out of the Water Skier when I was about 11. It was the first ski I had with a tunnel. I moved from that to an EP Comp 1 (still have it) to the Stinger to an EP Stilleto. The HO Monza I bought 3 years ago was the first ski I had from a company still in business.

• Baller
Hedlund made the Joe Cash Concave. My first competition ski after the Cypress Gardens Lil' Monster (that I still have)(Billy Spencer Tournament Bevel). Torque, MasterCraft, Northland, Excel (have one at the lake), Saucier, Lund, SkiMaster, SkiCraft, Sea Gliders, EP, and more.

• Baller

Maherajah! Do they still make race skis? But their slaloms were the best - ask KLP. Until he picked up the Hexcel line and renamed it (or sold it to?) Ajax. Ajax sold to Kimball (who built tons of doubles and also bought the EP comp 1 molds). Kimball switched to making train parts for BART - some nice molds got lost.

Hexcel snow skis rocked! Mine didn't survive the cabin rebuild - bummer. K2 Threes Red White and Blue survived for display only after I spruce them up but the edges didn't make it. Nor did the old K2 slalom water skis - which were horrible - survive.

Then of course, there is the Leeski...

Eric

I know some one mentioned Stinger. I seem to remember the name as "Western Stinger", & I think that was from the mid to late 70's. Was Denny Kidder who was behind them or someone else. I know it was one of the well known names from the industry.

Still got a 1979 EP Comp X-2, Comp 1 & '80 Trick ski on my wall. Actually my boys were on the trick just yesterday.

Anyone know who was behind EP back then (Besides Hart Industries & Composite Structures).

Few more names to add to the list from Aussie Manufactures:-

Fred Williams, Ron Marks, Vel Aqua & Rapid Waterskis.

Maybe John can dedicate a page in the history section to all these old names & we could all send in some photos.

Phil

• Baller

Horton that is pretty cool having the original EP in the box.

Phil I remember the Stinger being late 70s at my lake at least. The one I have has a Maherajah high wrap on it. The beach we used to ski out of went through phases where everyone was on similar skis and I remember EP, Torque, Taperflex and Stinger all being on the beach.

I had the Boys Life magazine with Sammy on the cover when I was a kid.

• Baller

Phil 2360 ,

Roger Teeter was behind EP and was at our tourneys a lot in MN. Was running 35 and into 38 and I thought the guy was ancient. Must have been 35 years old or so. I think there was only senior Mens for an old farts division then. He usually won if I remember correctly.

Kona, The comments from the kids going up the lifts are usually hilarious! One girl wanted to know who made them. She said "Shaped skis were so boring"!

I inherited a beautiful old wood Connelly Hook from a buddy (He had no appreciation of it). It's got a handle pop mark on it but otherwise is pristine. I'm gonna take it through the course once before I refinish it and mount it on the wall in the living room.

• Baller_
My personal favorite wooden ski was a Mesle. Made in West Germany. Very bright orange or very bright greeinish yellow. Paul Seaton of GB and Willi Ellimeier of WG skied on them. I also had a bright yellow French made Reflex. In fact, I still have those skis

Lpskier

• Baller

I learned to slalom on an old Cypress Gardens ski, it now hangs on our wall.

The camp I worked at used Dick Pope skis for years. I skied on a number of those growing up. However, I have no idea if Dick Pope ever made tournament skis.

• Baller

So, having been a lurker for since the original ballers were just starting, what would I contribute but a photo from 40 years ago, but Lake Saucier was where I skied my first tournament. Dave Saucier had purchased most of the land around it and it was a pretty much perfect tournament lake. It was also known as "Lake X" because the actual name of the platted lake was as racially offensive as any lake in the country. Google Nowthen, MN and you'll find it with what I assume is Google's attempt at making it less offensive, but, well, nice try, guys. It's been renamed "Burns Lake" and as far as I know, hasn't been skied on for a while. BTW, I have joint custody of the jump that Dave built for the 1974 (yes, 1974) Saucier International Cup pro tournament.

Nando

/vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/14/774.jpg