jipster43

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

@dchristman there was this one poster of a woman i a black red orange yellow one piece.

I'm pretty sure one or both of my older brothers made an unsuccessful play for Pam Folsom.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

This brought back some older memories...I was in the middle of the water ski world for a couple of years...1977- 1980...was original partner in World Waterskiing Magazine...so I knew a lot of these people...the companies, the salesman, some of the skiers. a lot of "behind the scenes" experiences.

One of the posts mentioned Ski Master. They had their own skis. But they were more of an afterthought to round out the rest of their product line...Ski Vests,etc. They actually manufactured a lot of things. And ski equipment was just part of it.

But the interesting thing was they had the Ski Press / Production Equipment and would hire it out to people developing skis. They could bring in their designs or molds and SkiMaster would produce the ski as a one off to test. You could walk into their office and they had a waiting room where "ski names" and others could be sitting waiting their turn.

I noticed someone mentioned Great American. That was actually built by Cypress Gardens. It was their strategy to create a new name and brand that was more contemporary...and disassociate from the Gardens name. Still keep the traditional

name and skis...but open up new markets.

• Baller
Read this whole thread. Recognize lots of the old names, but one that I haven't seen is Chrysler Crew. We still have at least one of these Mike Suyderhoud signature editions floating around. I'll see if I can get a picture.

1 hour ago, lpskier said:

Yeah. Looks like a racing ski. I’ve never heard of Hustler skis. Probably West Coast specific, as is racing. 

It's more like the MAHA 360's or Taperflex Wake Jumper. Same length, square tail, etc. West coast almost certain and maybe out of the Seattle lineage.

Here's another. Churchill slalom. It looks like a Connelly Hook, right down to the grooves on either side of the concave tunnel. I think the most beautiful ski of the era.

I know that Danny C designed slaloms and other. Had some correspondence with one of his daughters but the Connelly connection was uncertain. My semi-wildass guess is that Danny C designed this, produced a few and Connelly acquired the design. 

Just now, jimberryhill said:

Here's another. Churchill slalom. It looks like a Connelly Hook, right down to the grooves on either side of the concave tunnel. I think the most beautiful ski of the era.

I know that Danny C designed slaloms and other. Had some correspondence with one of his daughters but the Connelly connection was uncertain. My semi-wildass guess is that Danny C designed this, produced a few and Connelly acquired the design. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/397134393665916/permalink/6652763148102978/spacer.png

• Like 2

• Baller

At this point, I think we can add O’Brien to the list. Anyone seen the video of their top ski being advertised using a wakeboarder skiing the course? It’s terrible and couldn’t be more than 26 mph.  I applaud the wakeboarder but this is their best ski! It should be ridden by a real skier. 

Not to mention it’s most likely still the Elite. That’s what, a 15 year old ski? It’s embarrassing. I hate this has happened to that company

Edited by aupatking

• Baller
On 7/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, aupatking said:

At this point, I think we can add O’Brien to the list. Anyone seen the video of their top ski being advertised using a wakeboarder skiing the course? It’s terrible and couldn’t be more than 26 mph.  I applaud the wakeboarder but this is their best ski! It should be ridden by a real skier. 

Not to mention it’s most likely still the Elite. That’s what, a 15 year old ski? It’s embarrassing. I hate this has happened to that company

Is that what Glen Campbell is still riding?

• Baller
On 7/25/2023 at 1:24 AM, aupatking said:

Every turn he reminds me of…

Edited by vtmecheng
  • Like 1

• Baller_

Warren Witherell cut 1" of the back of our club member's Northland Sabre slalom skis and then extended the fin slot forward with the same carpenter's saw.   Some club names that stayed in the Sport  Gary Thompson, Al Tolefson.

The Northland ski was extinct in the late 60's.

northlans.JPG

• Baller
On 7/28/2023 at 9:48 PM, vtmecheng said:

At this point, I think we can add O’Brien to the list.

@aupatking and @vtmecheng

I think you have to look at the bigger picture.  While I do miss the days of Andy skiing for and working with O'Brien.  But Look at O'Brien's parent Kent Outdoors (formerly Watersports).  Discussed here before they have Connelly and HO ------- so do they need to spend more of their R&D on another high end niche market ski?       I always make a point of stopping by the O'Brien booth at the Masters and chatting to Pete Surrette and thank him for being there and $ponsoring.  

I might also have a few O'Brien and Margaritaville floats and tubes. 😉

• Like 1

• Baller
4 minutes ago, RAWSki said:

@aupatking and @vtmecheng

I think you have to look at the bigger picture.  While I do miss the days of Andy skiing for and working with O'Brien.  But Look at O'Brien's parent Kent Outdoors (formerly Watersports).  Discussed here before they have Connelly and HO ------- so do they need to spend more of their R&D on another high end niche market ski?       I always make a point of stopping by the O'Brien booth at the Masters and chatting to Pete Surrette and thank him for being there and $ponsoring.  

I might also have a few O'Brien and Margaritaville floats and tubes. 😉

Then the question is, why does O’Brien even make a ski beyond recreational models? Wouldn’t it make more sense for them to just leave that the Connelly and HO?

• Baller

Totally agree with @jcamp  they want to to sell the dealer everything they need in their shop.  In fact back in May Pete pointed to their Siege line-up and asked me if it looked familiar.  

It's the SixAM resurrectted 

I believe the top of the line GC is a tweaked version on the G5 that Drew Ross was involved in. so some good roots---- not cutting edge now but good skis for their market of weekend rippers.

• Baller
13 minutes ago, RAWSki said:

Totally agree with @jcamp  they want to to sell the dealer everything they need in their shop.  In fact back in May Pete pointed to their Siege line-up and asked me if it looked familiar.  

It's the SixAM resurrectted 

I believe the top of the line GC is a tweaked version on the G5 that Drew Ross was involved in. so some good roots---- not cutting edge now but good skis for their market of weekend rippers.

I was on a Siege some years back, it was my first slalom ski. I can easily conclude that it is not a good ski for the weekend lake skier. That ski hunts for an edge, sprays your face with front foot pressure, and is narrow enough that starts behind a I/O or smaller outboard are harder. A Union, base Senate, base Omni, etc. are orders of magnitude better than the Siege for that use. My guess is that O'Brien skis are still around just so customers who still associated it is a great ski brand have something. Just a guess.

• Thanks 1

• Baller
On 4/22/2011 at 1:46 PM, jipster43 said:

This is kind of a companion thread to Scot Chipman's "Waterski companies of the world". How many waterski companies are now defunct but hold a place in your heart? For me it's these three:

1.) EP - First real slalom ski my brothers and I had.

2.) Excel - Somehow my family received a prototype for free. My dad knew someone I guess, 'cause my oldest brother had only skied in one tournament.

3.) Cut 'N Jump - I learned to ski on a set of 67" Cut 'N Jumps. I weighed about 40lbs, had to wear shoes to fit into the bindings, and could stand up as soon as the boat went into gear.

I'm also going to include KIDDER even though D3 lives on. I grew up on Lake Tapps (Sumner, WA - home of Denny Kidder). If you skied Lake Tapps in the 80's you were either on a KIDDER or an HO. The KIDDER crew was way more obnoxious and dominant. The HO crowd were usually the folks that wished they lived in Redmond or on Lake Sammamish.

JP 🙂

I know this is a really old post but I still use my grandparents old cut n jump skis from probably the 50s to drop one for slalom. Easiest skis to get up on and look super cool. Have had people tell me to hang them on the wall but they are too fun to ski on. 

• Baller
On 7/28/2012 at 3:53 PM, Edbrazil said:

From my home town of Laconia, and from the 50's and 60's: Aqua Sport skis. Good laminated jumpThat company (Cove Craft) got you both ways: they also made crutches. Owned by Larry Brown who was once President of AWSA, and also was a key organizer for the 1954 and 1959 Nationals.

Didn't see in the listings yet: a K2 slalom ski; very short-lived.

Awesome. RIP Ed ♥️