silencing an inboard

Razorskier1

• Baller

I own 2005 Mastercraft 197 TT with the MCX engine. While the boat is relatively quiet, it could be quieter (I ski on a public lake early, and try not to p-off people). Last year I put new stock mufflers in just because I figured that the old ones, with 700 hours on them, were probably losing their efficacy. It did quiet it down a bit again. Nevertheless, I am looking for silent. Anyone got any suggestions other than buying a new Nautique!

Buy the EU certified mufflers, they have to pass a strict sound test from 150ft if memory serves correctly, I will have to check on the distance again, these will be the quietest muffler that you can put on the boat. There just really isn't a truly effective way to make a boat with the types of exhausts these boats have extremely quiet.

• Baller
Razor1 might have some info for you. He works early, but skis earlier on a public lake and cannot afford to lose his permit d/t complaints. Prior to his 197, he had a Gekko GTR which was anything but quiet, but had some sort of crossover exhaust installed that made a huge difference.

• Baller_

The silent rider muffler is very good, significantly quieter than the twin straight ones. To add to an existing system, there are muffler inserts that will fit in to the stainless tips if your boat is equipped with those (CP Performance carries them). Good rubber baffles on the tips also help quiet exhaust noise.

I would certainly ponder the holeshot performance impact of the FAE, I would think it would take some time lag to actually impact the performance of the exhaust, there should be enough volume to absorb some low speed restriction, but perhaps enough builds up at idle to impact the launch. I can certainly see the low pressure side at higher velocity, I have used a crank evacuation system on cars and it certainly works there, same principle applied. I agree on the wake impact, simply the added weight hanging off the back will have a negative effect for slalom.

• Baller
Thanks for all the comments. Will check on the EU-certified mufflers and the silent riders. That fresh air exhaust worries me. MS -- I have considered that! It does seem that the new SN 200 is meaningfully louder than the old 196.

• Baller_
Unfortunately, I would bet the farm as they say, that even if you make your ski boats practically silent, your "new" neighbor will find some other criteria to use as a complaint against your course. I think many have seen this movie before. Not easy, but a conversation or invitation to this person might be a good approach and might be a complete waste of time also. I don't have a link, sorry. Good approach to try to quiet an existing boat and demonstrate your attempts at appeasing the resident community.

The nature of wet exhausts means that the boat is going to rumble no matter what you do. The new mufflers have to pass a 70db drive by test, which is as quiet as youre going to get without moving the exhaust outlet underwater i.e. FAE. You may be better off getting the guy out in the boat with you guys and share in the good times with you rather than trying to find a way to make a silent ski boat.

• Baller
I've not had much luck with those who complain. Tough to get them to understand our obsession with those 6 little orange balls! I did talk to my MC dealer and he said the factory says the 2011 TT uses the EU-certified mufflers. I haven't heard one, so don't know if it is any more quiet than my 2005 (which I think is quiet, except early in the morning!). I'd be interested in comments from any 2011 TT owners.

At a collegiate tournament in Waterloo a few weeks ago, we were using my 2011 WTT boat and a 2009 Prostar 197 non TT boat. The 2009 is much louder then my boat. I dont feel my boat is "quiet" but it is quiter then the 2009. Probably not extremely helpful, but thats what I know.

The FAE increases the exhaust back pressure and causes the boat to feel underpowered coming out of the hole. I do not have experience with one on a DD ski boat, only behind wake boats. I actually have never heard of anyone running a tournament boat with FAE. The older nautiques did seem to be quiter, but the 200 does not seem to be any quieter to me than any other brand.

@Klinger does your boat have an Indmar or ILmor motor? It seemed to me that the Ilmor motors were considerably quieter than the Indmar powered boats. The 08 and 09 boats were by far the loudest boats that MC has produced recently and that was due to a different exhaust tip and muffler.

• Baller

Skibrain, same experience.

Skied a 6 rounder at dream lake estates in IA back when CC was using the 206 as their promo. The Bu was seriously loud, the MC "normal", the CC you almost couldn't hear once it passed by...just see the skier go back and forth.

My 196 is pretty quiet, too.

• Baller
My 66 SN will rattle the boat house when you fire it up. It has been there for 45 years. I think that there is a statute of limitations on it. Don't want to sound like an I/O. They'll get over it! Makes C-4 sound tame./vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/14/834.jpg

• Baller
We added "inline silencers" to our club boat. they're about 6 inches long and get added to the exhaust hose before the mufflers. Made a worthwhile difference but I can't remember where we got them...about $200. Power loss minimal with LCR response. Coupled with the engine box insualtion, it's a pretty quiet boat.

• Baller

Stan's 08 MC is really loud. So loud that you can almost hear the engine noise when the boat is coming at you. The spray noise from a boat is significant. I bet that even the electric Nautique is loud enough from just the spray noise to bother a sleeper in a nearby house. Hopefully there are shouts of joy when the great pass is conquered that generate some noise too!

Waterskiing is a loud sport. But at least you don't have the problems of someone flying a seaplane.

Eric

Ham, I want to trick behind that boat!

• Baller

I spent a few hours installing the FAE, ran with it a few times then removed it.

Maybe someone from BOS is using it now.

I didn't notice much difference with the hole shot, but the wake was a mess. Also, it didn't seem any quieter.