Ski well one day, and not the next.

TNh2oskier

I've had a great year on the water this year, and went from 15' off to working on 28' off. I picked up a used elite and loved it, but I seem to be pretty inconsistant on it. I do ski a few different lakes, and have taken that into account. Some days I can run nice 15's 22's and get a few at 28'. The next day my 15's are ugly and my 22's dont get past 3 or 5 ball. I really dont know what the issue is. I've never skied this inconsistant. Am I getting things right one day and then going back to bad habbits the next day?

I"m thinking about switching ski's, am on an elite now....any suggestions? I've always wanted to ski a goode, and the fire looks like a bargain, but also am hearing good things about the step bottom ski's, and also have thought about a strada or vice.....

• Baller
Most people I talk to say the Elite has a very small window where it is fantastic, but it punishes you if you get outside of that space. My 18 year old son rides one and on the dock last week everyone was telling me he should get on something else. Then they watched him ski and just shook their heads and said "don't change a thing". He is an extremely quiet skier, with very efficient movement, and he stays put over his bindings at all times. It also doesn't hurt that he is 5'8'', 180lbs and extremely strong -- he can hold position and hang on to load that many others wouldn't be able to. Nevertheless, when skied right that ski runs in and out of the ball without ever losing any speed. No stall, no tip rise, it just runs like crazy. Wish I was that smooth!

• Supporting Member

I very much agree with ral. You need another pass to build consistency. See thread about practice set structure.

But also inconsistency is just part of the game, and is especially a factor when you're on the steep part of the learning curve. Consistency improves later when your technique has been "established" longer.

Still, it wouldn't be crazy to try a few skis. I could be the Elite doesn't happen to be a great fit for you at this time.

• Baller

Your situation sounds a lot like where I was at when this season began. In the last month I haven't missed a 15 off pass. The difference???

A single lesson. You probably have something in the way you are skiing that is keeping you from being consistent. I spent a day with Trent F and he had me focusing on two things, after a week or two of practice I have basically picked up a full pass.

It worked for me however YMMV.

I agree with lessons, that is what got me from 15' to starting 28's. I know I need to work on my gates, and have spent some days doing nothing but that. Anyone have any good drills for gates? Is there some way I could get a 2 gate practice on one pass?

I really like some aspects of the elite, but it may punish me to much when I'm not doing everything well. How does the strada or vice compare, what about the good fire?

• Baller

Post a video of your gate. Drills need to focus on what you are trying to improve.

IMHO, if you are working to get consistent @ 22 off, you should concentrate in getting 36 buoys on each 6 pass set rather than working specifically in gates and forgetting about the rest of the pass.

• Baller

Brent, Elite is a great ski, but very demanding when it comes body position and settings.

Tnh2oskier, From my own experience... When we ski very well one day we usually expect ourselves to ski just as well or even better the next day. When we do that we think too much, try too hard and can't reach the performance we are looking for. I am sure we would ski better if we could start every day with a quiet mind not thinking of passed achievements.

Tsixam

• Baller

TNH20, I switched from an Elite to a Goode Fire Mid two weeks ago. I didn't increase my ultimate buoy count, but increased my average in the last two weeks to what before was my max buoy count. I equalled my overall pb in a tournament 3 times in one weekend after only 1 week on it.

Now that said, you're at a point in the learning experience where you are just naturally going to be inconsistent. My coach always told me that I'm going to fall or miss when I'm learning something. Last week was a perfect example for me. I fell on my opener at 2 ball 3 straight sets going into Thursday and Friday before our tournament. Then at our tournament, I set a new pb, equalled it later in the day, and then increased that pb. I'm sure in practice, I'll fall early again this weekend. Such is life. :)

• Baller
I've had two sub-par practice sets after having the best tourney of my life. It happens. When I'm slumping I like to run my opener for an entire set of 6-8 passes just smoking it and get in the boat. Much more satisfying than scrambling a tough pass you ran easy a few days ago, and I believe rebuilds good habits...including not over-skiing.

Skied much better this morning, life is back to being good again. I also remebered I had moved my binding one hole, so I moved it back and it felt much better. I need more ski time is one of my problems, kid in school, work is busy for me and ski partners and ski time is half what it should be, and it shows.

Shane- how does the mid fire feel compaired to the elite? I probably need to keep working with the elite, there are a lot of things I like about it, but I've also always wanted to ski a goode, and the fire is pretty atractive priced and warranty looks good. Did you order inserts or drill your own, or ??

• Baller
Fire at first felt like it was a touch more effort side to side, but I don't think that now that I have about 10 sets on it. I was getting hammered at 1 ball on the Elite. It was very aggressive at the finish of the turn and it would just cause me to crush. The Fire comes underneath the rope and just goes cross course. It was a very easy transition to the Goode. I got mine without inserts since I already used Powershell 5s. But even if I needed inserts, I would order it without and put in my own brass or stainless inserts from McFeely's since Goode uses cheap plastic inserts.

• Baller
I tend to ski very inconsistently when my body gets tired. In other words, too many days of consecutive skiing or too many multiple set days and the gremlins creep in. That is when I take a day off and recover, almost always ski better when I come back