The VENTRAL first season. How did it work out

mrpreuss

• Baller

Tried one, two, and three Ventrals on three different skis:

Nano: Worked best with Mini Ventral front and the standard wing rear: ie: Chad Scott

Sans Rival SR-2: Mini Ventral front and Std. wing rear. While the Nano had a huge improvement in performance, the Sans just became MUCH more stable. Lost 90% of the twitchyness waiting for the pullout.

HO S-2: Mini Ventral front and Large Ventral rear set to 7 degrees. Better speed cross course and stabilized the turns considerably. Ski had a tendency to easily overturn prior to that.

• Baller
Tried one, two & three on Nano std. One up front is great. Two small, one front, one rear on top and std foil on bottom tracks a little better through the wakes than the single. Three in the standard setup, (big one top back) is not good for a std ski. I think the big wing is necessary for stability which is lost in that setup. A bigger big ventral for std skis may be the hot setup.

• Baller
I tried both a traditional ventral (Goode style with downward wings) and a modified wing that was shaved down to the size of a ventral on my 2007 Nomad RC. Ran both with and without regular wing in the front position (like Ham Wallace pics). Best set up was the flat, shaved down wing in the front location of the fin, no regular wing. This provided the best combination of tracking and speed; although cross course speed was slightly compromised and I had to stay on the handle longer/stronger to make sure the ski didnt shut down or initiate the preturn too soon. Stability did increase slightly and tip stayed down more through the wakes. All that said, i took it off and went with the traditional wing for most of the season. I ran the ventral again about a week ago and it felt good; but, still felt better on just the standard wing. Riding an Elite now, so i might try it on that as speed cross course is not an issue.

• Baller

scoke,

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I made my own psuedo Raley-Ventral (downward angle wings) designed in 3D CAD (Solid Works) and machined in a CNC machine. Also, modified / cut down a normal wing (no downward angle) to the size of the front ventral. I found the flat/modified wing to be a better set up for the Nomad. I think I will start with the flat ventral wing on the Elite; but, maybe not until next year as I am still trying to get it dialed in and I only have a month to 6 weeks of the season left.

I tried one and found it made my ski heavier, sort of like moving the DFT back too far. I only run 7 degrees on my regular wing and putting more metal on my fin just created too much drag. I'm guessing I would have to switch to a mini wing in the back to compensate. Here is my prototype post Ventral epoxy composite fin. I betting if I drill a bunch more holes in specific places and filled them with more flexible epoxy, I could target exactly where I wanted to add fin flex and better control the finish of my turns:)

• Baller

My setup was a 67.25" Regular 9900. It was setup for 35/38 at 36 but i've had a speed change and am transitioning to M3 so my ski isn't ideal.

Right now, I am looking to test a few skis for my next level of skiing :

2007 Monza

System 8

Connelly V

Strada

2004 HO Truth

Not sure the ventral will work on these skis.

3 Ventrals all tips down. Diff setup than on the Goode site. Front, move forward to the leading edge/ back, same move to the rear. lower the bottom ventral about .25" and foward .25" LOVE IT!!!!

Why ski with all the drag of a standard wing??? Also, my back's never been better!!!! :)))

3 Ventrals all tips down. Diff setup than on the Goode site. Front, move forward to the leading edge/ back, same move to the rear. lower the bottom ventral about .25" and foward .25" LOVE IT!!!!

Why ski with all the drag of a standard wing??? Also, my back's never been better!!!! :)))