New ski suggestions please- strada, S2 or Good fire Mid

TNh2oskier

Got the s2 and set it up per some of the conversations on here. mostly setting the dft, since it was .780 when it came. Set it at .745 and mounted my bindings and skied.

My first impression is it ski's very tip high. Just standing on it and the water was breaking about the ball of my foot and the tip looked way out of the water. Could have just been me, but I have been working on trying to balance my weight centered over the ski.

The on side was really turning hard, the offside was very sweet! I'm disappointed in the cross course speed, but it could be because half of the ski is out of the water. My initial impression isn't really great, I think the over turn on the on side can be easily solved, but the cross course speed, - not sure how to fix that. ( comparison to current ride on the elite.)

Suggestions?

• Baller

I am surprised to hear your ski rides tip high, mine does not. Where are your bindings set at. Sounds like they may be to far back. My ski is a 67.5, factory settings are 30" and I use 29 7/8."

From the speed standpoint, I find it as fast as my Nano Mid. However, I am not a fan of the big wing. I use two Ventrals on a Carbon Fin which makes the ski much faster. Rather than use the word "Speed," I would rather judge the new generation skis on their ability to use much less "effort" for cross course time and angle. The S-2 requires very little load to achieve considerable carryout. It would be very easy to load slightly long, be fast into the ball, and subconsciously push on the tail to slow down causing tip rise. I have to keep telling myself to back-off and have faith that the short load will give so much preturn.

I feel this ski has equal performance to my Nano Mid, plus turns better. It's greatest attribute is it is so forgiving. It is allowing me to experiment like crazy with new technique for next season and not get spanked. It is really a great ski.

• Baller_
@Ed Johnson. I'm purchasing an S2 today. Was wondering if you are comparing the Nano with the ventrals to the S2 with ventrals or did the Nano have a standard wing? In other words, was it an apples to apples comparison. Also, what typical line lengths are you running-longest to shortest. I believe you put your fin settings on another thread. If not could you include those. Thanks

• Baller
I think the Elite feels "speedier" because it doesn't carry as much speed off the apex. My perception when I tried the S2 and Goode were that neither were as fast as the Elite. I think it's because you feel more of the speed delta on the Elite. Give it a few weeks on the S2.

I'd look at the Senate-C as well. I started the season this year going from a connely rocket to a senate C with strada boots at 34mph and went from 15 off to 28 off in 6 sessions in the course. ran a full pass at 28 off on my last pass of the year in the course. It's a forgiving ski and plenty fast. wish i could have had more course time, but 28 off was my goal for the year and i ran it.

• Baller

Wish,

Yes, Nano Mid, S-2, & Sans SR-2, with Fwd Mini Ventral and Large Ventral Rear, set to 6 degrees. I am currently using my Carbon Fin off the Sans Rival on the S-2. However, the two Ventrals on the S-2 Red Fin works well also. The carbon fin is slightly faster. Settings are 6.750 Tips 2.500 .745 Slot 29 7/8."

The Sans is my Competition Ski, which I ran from 32 - 39. The S-2 is my training ski, since it is very forgiving and I am revamping my whole style. I have not been chasing buoys with it since the New Style I am working on requires me to spend a lot of time at 28 - 35. At 38 all the old habits kick in. I really need the forgiveness the S-2 offers to be able to push the limits, to experiment with what works and what doesn't. It offers the best training platform I have ever experienced. The Nano will put you in the Lake trying this stuff, believe me I have experienced that to many times. Even shattered a Powershell Plate seperating from the ski. I do believe my Nano would have been better without the twist, which caused the tip to sometimes bite very hard.

• Baller_
@Ed Johnson I'll add a question to DavidP and ask what's the deapest line you have run on the S2 and do u feel it's capable of shoreline (38-39)? Wanting a forgiving ski (34mph) yes but one that's got high potential for short line. Coeffitant Xsl got me deap 38s with low physical effort. Which was very weird by the way. Hard to get used to.

• Baller

DavidP,

Sorry, never did try the A-1 or S-1. My Daughter had a A-1 and returned it. I have spent many years on Goode's, including the 9100 - 9800, 9900, Wide, Mid, and Nano..... PB's on everyone except the Nano Mid.

Wish,

I absolutely Love the Sans SR-2 for shortline. The ski kicks in at 35 and holds more sustained angle than any ski I have ever seen. However, it is not as forgiving as the S-2 for practicing new technique.

Is the S-2 capable of deep shortline? Yes, definitely. Watch Video from the Legends at Diablo and see KLP and Bob run into deep 39 at 35 mph, on a ski designed for 34. Your also right about the low physical effort. You cannot use this ski effectively as an accelerate hard, decelerate hard, kind of ski. This ski responds well to a short burst of load, and with very low drag, sustains angular momentum extremely well. If you liked the CoXsl, you will Love the S-2.