Did Regina set a new record behind the new TXI?

Ham_Wallace

• Baller_
You don't know how she does it...... Did you see her arms and shoulders??? I gotta run down on her work out from someone that watched it. She uses kettle bell weights. Strong is a serious understatement. As for the tip rise, I'm surprised she doesn't give a front ventral a shot. It does keep the tip down. Maybe she has.

• Supporting Member

She is indeed strong as hell.

At this point, it almost looks to me like she has incorporated that tip rise as part her technique. She almost does a "windsheild wiper" turn, enabling her to basically reset the ski at a ridiculous angle instead of actually "carving" a turn.

This isn't exactly a recommended technique because you need a Girdle of Giant Strength in order to hold onto that, but apparently she has one of those.

Sorry for the D&D reference. It's just too appropriate here.

• Baller
It isn't just power, but power to weight ratio. Lots of us dudes have more power, but also carry more weight (and we simply are not as good, either). Watched this and CP video on another thread. Both stand tall in glide, both very high on the boat...I need to get higher (and lose 30 lbs while maintaining all of my power, among other things...)!

• Baller

Brent,

First of all, I truly believe that Regina is currently the best slalom skier in the world, and her having the world record is well deserved.

But, as I anyone can see on some of my posts, I am anal about rules. IWWF Rule 10.04 j) states that "Slalom ropes must use a shock tube that is a minimum of 60 cm and a max of 1.2m". Must is the word there. On its own paragraph, as are line lenght tolerances. So, not complying with this is equivalent with not complying with the rope tolerance. Not in terms of favoring the skier, but in terms of complying with the rules.

In the question about two skis tied together in another discussion, I really thought that the rulebook was not clear nor specific. On this one, I think it is crystal clear and absolutely specific.

The boat video we all saw shows clearly that there was no shock tube. That video is not part of the record dossier but it shows th at 10.4 j) was broken.

• Baller

A shock tube is a safety device and a mighty good idea, it should have no bearing on a record score. Perhaps the rules need a re-write.

A reprimand for the crew or the safety judge may be appropriate...but penalizing the skier who set a record due to failure to install a safety item not in their control and that has zero effect on performance is tough to swallow. I'm sure whether or not a shock tube is on the rope is not in pre-ski routine of your typical record skier, and it should not have to be.

Go Regina! Do it again...and I guess make sure the folks in the boat have a shock tube in place.

• Baller
But to counter that, if a rule is broken, was it the only one? Not knocking the crew at all, all top notch I know, but for a legitimate world record, if this was in France/Brazil/Mexico I bet you would be singing a different tune, and pointing out that if such an easy rule is not followed, what others were bent or broken..... A skier should not be punished, nor should have to worry about checking small things like the shock tube, but there is also a reason so many people go to specific tournaments to challenge records, and that's the quality of the officials and crew.

• Baller

Rules are rules, they are not split in some that are for safety of the crew, or other. Rules are not divided in simple or important. if something "must" be used, how can it be interpreted as optional? If rules need a re-write, they need to be re-written before the change applies. Regarding the pre-routine check by skiers, boat path video, rope measuring, speed control time check after the pass, etc... are not part of the pre-routine check by skiers but part of the tournament officers.

In a past thread, several were in favor of "bending" the rules for beginner skiers. So it should be done as well for world class skiers?

• Baller
I would be shocked if the record was disallowed because of the lack of a shock tube. I agree with Shane, some rules have no impact upon the persons performance. I don't think they would disallow a record simply because one of the judges towers does not have a railing on the side, even though required by rules. If that were the standard, a rival competitor on site could challenge a record for some insignificant violation they witnessed. It would never end.

• Baller

Non compliance to the rule should be submitted, though, as part of the dossier:

"Declaration: I, _____________________________________________ Homologator of the above competition do

hereby certify that round _______________ of the ___________________ event was run strictly in accordance with

the rules with exception of

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

which in my opinion in no way affects the validity of the record.

The line and handle(s) were checked as soon as possible after the record and found to measure: ___________"