Cold Water Poll

Horton

• Supporting Member

I was pretty surprised you stopped at 100. That would take almost two months off my season. With a drysuit, even a complete temperature wuss like me can handle 50 degree water and 50 degree air pretty comfortably.

Now, when the water is below 40, there is a bit of pain on the feet and hands. And air below about 45 can kinda suck on the ears. (Some people have trouble with hands, but for some reason that isn't an issue for me.)

So I guess my "typical" limit is air+water = 85, but I've definitely gone below that a time or two.

And I bet I'm not even near to the craziest. (Like I said, I'm a temperature wuss -- you can ask anybody at any tournament I regularly ski.) There's *gotta* be some Canadians who have done 0C water and below 0C air.

Convert that to American units, and I bet somebody out there would have checked of 60 total as their limit.

I'm with Than, limit is 38 air and water doesn't really matter, it usually hovers around 40 - 42 in Dec/Jan so I'd be a 78. Water generally stays in liquid form all winter and as long as it's liquid and 38 air temp or above, it's a GO!

• Baller
Especially spring time after winter deprivation. Ice goes out and we go in. It's amazing how warm 40 degree air temp feels (esp if sun) after a winter in MN. 40/40 and we're good to go. Fall it doesn't feel quite that good at same temp unless you are Razor1 who will ski 40 passes per day until such time as his boat can't cut the ice.

• Baller
I think the poll is somewhat skewed though becasue my contention is that there is a larger, denser population of skiers in colder climates (but i haven't done the research on this)....i.e. the North East, upper Mid-West, North West. So you will have more people skiing in colder conditions due to shorter seasons.

• Baller
last night it was 55 degrees, overcast, with a 5mph head-tail. Water was 44. Plenty warm for one 28 and twenty-one 32s. Might call it a season this weekend. Now at 190 passes in 9 total sets, or 1140 buoys. Unfortunately, I broke my "no miss" streak at 186 passes by being lazy at the 2 ball at 32 off. Ah well. Time to start a new streak!

Skied yesterday afternoon. Air 68 (dry), water low 60's. No rubber. It was fine while skiing but cool after. I am getting thin-skinned in my old age. Shirt next time. I hate winter. I hate losing Daylight Savings Time.

I need a few more sets before Thanksgiving. Then it's on to Christmas Cocktail Cruises and Not worrying about it for a few months. Besides, Horton and Darwin need help dishing it out to MS!

• Baller

A few years ago I skied w/Razor1 in snow right after ice out in March. Air temp was something like 28, water sub 40. Actually, we didn't ski, we barefooted...it's captured on video along w/the thermometer. Got a big old ice cream headache!

• Baller

A few years ago I skied w/Razor1 in snow right after ice out in March. Air temp was something like 28, water sub 40. Actually, we didn't ski, we barefooted...it's captured on video along w/the thermometer. Got a big old ice cream headache!

• Baller
Well, winter is on the way. I don't know the water temp, but this morning it was 35 degree air and the lake wasn't steaming anymore -- that's a bad sign. Cloudy today, but the air temp is supposed to get above 40. I think that means I need to leave work early and ski my *ss off one last time. I'm at 190 cold water passes in the last 9 sets -- definitely need to go north of 200!

• Baller
Well, winter is on the way. I don't know the water temp, but this morning it was 35 degree air and the lake wasn't steaming anymore -- that's a bad sign. Cloudy today, but the air temp is supposed to get above 40. I think that means I need to leave work early and ski my *ss off one last time. I'm at 190 cold water passes in the last 9 sets -- definitely need to go north of 200!

• Baller

Nov 5th we ended our season with our last competion that we named Ymer after a swedish icebreaking boat, this year it wasnt so cold, only 7*C(44*F) in both air and water.

Last year we hade to break the ice for 40 min before we could start the competion.

• Baller

Nov 5th we ended our season with our last competion that we named Ymer after a swedish icebreaking boat, this year it wasnt so cold, only 7*C(44*F) in both air and water.

Last year we hade to break the ice for 40 min before we could start the competion.

Ya'll come on down to The Frosty Balls at Lake Pryor in Cleveland, Tennessee this weekend.(Home of the Barking Dawg Saloon). It is our annual season ender. Class"F". Barbecue, low country boil, food, fun, bonfire, fools and more. And yes, we might even ski!

Ya'll come on down to The Frosty Balls at Lake Pryor in Cleveland, Tennessee this weekend.(Home of the Barking Dawg Saloon). It is our annual season ender. Class"F". Barbecue, low country boil, food, fun, bonfire, fools and more. And yes, we might even ski!