This weeks poll. More important to get light or strong

Horton

• Baller

Solid power:weight ratio is probably more important. Due to comp weight lifting I have been terribly strong, but carried the extra mass that took as well.

Prior to last season decided comp weight lifting is over, dropped 25 lbs (muscle bulk) and had my best season. I don't think anyone would call me weak, but I found myself far more consistent at shortline while being lighter on the boat at 190 lbs rather than 215.

• Baller

Solid power:weight ratio is probably more important. Due to comp weight lifting I have been terribly strong, but carried the extra mass that took as well.

Prior to last season decided comp weight lifting is over, dropped 25 lbs (muscle bulk) and had my best season. I don't think anyone would call me weak, but I found myself far more consistent at shortline while being lighter on the boat at 190 lbs rather than 215.

For years I would start my season heavy. As the season progressed, I would lighten up a bunch. I think that you build muscle pulling an extra 1-15 pounds and when you lighten up, it's easier. I would start around 206 and usually ski Nationals at 190-192. Since 2004 I have been eating better, drinking less and staying much lighter. I weighed in at 179 last week. I will top out at about 190 in the colder weather. I try to ski pretty much during the year, even if it is just open water. I really hate winter! I found that going to the "Y" and working out is great, BUT, nothing replaces skiing. I am going to work on riding my jump skis more this year. The longer, harder pull is better for cardio and legs. Light is better.

For years I would start my season heavy. As the season progressed, I would lighten up a bunch. I think that you build muscle pulling an extra 1-15 pounds and when you lighten up, it's easier. I would start around 206 and usually ski Nationals at 190-192. Since 2004 I have been eating better, drinking less and staying much lighter. I weighed in at 179 last week. I will top out at about 190 in the colder weather. I try to ski pretty much during the year, even if it is just open water. I really hate winter! I found that going to the "Y" and working out is great, BUT, nothing replaces skiing. I am going to work on riding my jump skis more this year. The longer, harder pull is better for cardio and legs. Light is better.

Waterskiing is all about strength to weight ratio. Strong and lean is the way to go. My focus for winter training is going to be more strength based but not the bulk up kind of strength training. I plan on using a combination of O-lifting (quick powerful movements that require strength, speed, balance, and agility... pretty much describes waterskiing) with heavy backsquats, frontsquats, overhead squats, and deadlifts. This is what will really develop the strong core. While mixing in some crossfit metcons to stay lean and in good cardio shape.

Waterskiing is all about strength to weight ratio. Strong and lean is the way to go. My focus for winter training is going to be more strength based but not the bulk up kind of strength training. I plan on using a combination of O-lifting (quick powerful movements that require strength, speed, balance, and agility... pretty much describes waterskiing) with heavy backsquats, frontsquats, overhead squats, and deadlifts. This is what will really develop the strong core. While mixing in some crossfit metcons to stay lean and in good cardio shape.

• Baller

jayski, at my heaviest/strongest I weighed about 220-225 lean, needed to put 275 into PP to get times from 28-35 off at 36 mph, and broke 6-10 ropes per season. Had no issue with core strength at that age. Didn't learn til M3 that strength doesn't win it at shortline (especially w/tougher speed controls).

I ski better now that I'm more technical, lighter, and still pretty strong. I work core for longevity and reduction of low back issues. Power : weight ratio for better skiing, core for long term durability.

• Baller

jayski, at my heaviest/strongest I weighed about 220-225 lean, needed to put 275 into PP to get times from 28-35 off at 36 mph, and broke 6-10 ropes per season. Had no issue with core strength at that age. Didn't learn til M3 that strength doesn't win it at shortline (especially w/tougher speed controls).

I ski better now that I'm more technical, lighter, and still pretty strong. I work core for longevity and reduction of low back issues. Power : weight ratio for better skiing, core for long term durability.

• Baller
I think what each of us wants to do depends on where we started. At 6ft tall, if I weighed 150 I'd get heavier in order to get stronger. However, strength and size have always been easy for me to build, and I typically weigh between 195 and 200 during the offseason when I am in the gym. Ski season I have found that lighter is better, so I try to cut down to 190 before skiing starts, then don't go to the gym at all during ski season. I averaged about 185 all ski season. I've now been back in the gym a handful of times and my weight is up to 193. Going to have to watch what I eat and drink! So, from where I start, I want lighter. For others, they may want stronger. All of us end up in the same place, which is the best power to weight ratio. Also agree with the comments on core above. More core has been the biggest difference maker for me in terms of lower back health and overall endurance. If your core is strong, you can ski a lot more passes without getting tired.

• Baller
I think what each of us wants to do depends on where we started. At 6ft tall, if I weighed 150 I'd get heavier in order to get stronger. However, strength and size have always been easy for me to build, and I typically weigh between 195 and 200 during the offseason when I am in the gym. Ski season I have found that lighter is better, so I try to cut down to 190 before skiing starts, then don't go to the gym at all during ski season. I averaged about 185 all ski season. I've now been back in the gym a handful of times and my weight is up to 193. Going to have to watch what I eat and drink! So, from where I start, I want lighter. For others, they may want stronger. All of us end up in the same place, which is the best power to weight ratio. Also agree with the comments on core above. More core has been the biggest difference maker for me in terms of lower back health and overall endurance. If your core is strong, you can ski a lot more passes without getting tired.

• Supporting Member

Offseason, I am more focused on STR.

In season, I am more focused on weight.

Btw, I am opposite of Razor in terms of my build: Gaining muscle mass is extremely difficult for me. At 6'2", the only way I can get above 175 is by gaining fat, and we all know THAT's not the plan!

But he and I still end up with kind of a similar plan, because you need a little more food to build muscle. For me, this always comes with a little more fat, too, so then to get the str:weight ratio to be ideal, I sacrifice some of that mass in season.

The amounts are a lot less for me, but the idea is the same.

• Supporting Member

Offseason, I am more focused on STR.

In season, I am more focused on weight.

Btw, I am opposite of Razor in terms of my build: Gaining muscle mass is extremely difficult for me. At 6'2", the only way I can get above 175 is by gaining fat, and we all know THAT's not the plan!

But he and I still end up with kind of a similar plan, because you need a little more food to build muscle. For me, this always comes with a little more fat, too, so then to get the str:weight ratio to be ideal, I sacrifice some of that mass in season.

The amounts are a lot less for me, but the idea is the same.

• Baller

I am 5'9'' 190 lbs, but I am pretty solid. I am built more like a wrestler than a water skier, but I usually drop 15 pounds during the season because of all the skiing, biking and rollerblading I do. I work out to tone, but I still put on some muscle mass. The last time I had my body fat tested the trainer said I was at the low end of the nominal range. She said if I went any lower she said I would be too low to be healthy. I don't lift very heavy, but as I get stronger I add reps to each set, and add more sets on each exercise as I get stronger. I do a ton of cardio. 1 hour a day 4 times a week, and I do weight training 3 days a week during the off season. I do my core strength training on the days I do weights, but I am phasing in doing it every day. The last month before I put the boat in the water I cut back to 1 or 2 days of weights and add more cardio. I also swim during the offseason when I have the chance. I had to change gyms so this winter I don't get to swim. I rest one day a week if needed, or I do a light workout cardio

1 day a week.

• Baller
One hour full body, fat burning cardio type workouts 3X a week plus a day of heavy lifting (what passes for heavy lifting for me anyway) with my son (certified personal trainer) per week. Completely different from what I've done in years previous but seems to be working. Also do a full stretch routine and 15 - 20 minutes of core almost every morning first thing. Probably the fittest and lightest I've been since my early 20's (6'2", 194, 56 yo). Not bad for an old f___. Spring can't get here soon enough.