Deepening an Existing Lake

lakeaustinskier

• Baller

I need some feedback and help. Due to continuing drought in our area we are considering digging out and deepening our lake (Aquaplex in Austin). Most of the ski lakes in the area have been unskiable since July (including Aquaplex).

To preserve the slope ratio we’re thinking that the digging should be from the centerline out beyond the buoys maybe 15 feet max. I need some feedback from people that have deepened their lakes, (names, numbers etc.). I’m discovering that digging out and deepening an existing lake is a different animal than digging a new lake or just removing sediment. Thanks for any help or comments!

• Baller

I know a guy who drained his entire lake and then refilled it. That was in Ohio, and not sure it would work down in arrid Austin.

I don't know if you can launch a dredger which would suck up the bottom on a barge then unload on shore.

Digging a secondary lake for draining off sort of defeats the purpose.

• Baller_

We dug ours our a few years ago and most of the excavation was outside the course area. You will still have the same issues with shoreline erosion as a new lake. If you want the lake usable when its 3 ft low, then you will either have to have really long slopes or do something like rip-rap on the shorelines.

Dredging and moving mud are at least twice as expensive as moving semi-dry dirt.

Shoot me an email at bruce dot kim at texoma dot net and we can chat.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Sorry - hit send too fast. Aquaplex is fed by run-off from a 2,000 acre watershed (no well etc.). Right now the Austin Area is about 23 inches below normal in rainfall for the last 12 month period. We've had the area reviewed by a hydrologist and he tells us that Aquaplex is located in a fantastic area for a ski lake (lots of clay) but bad news is there's absolutely no significant groundwater within 10 miles. We've considered bulding a third lake for a reservoir however that option would probably kick in lots of permits/regulations and government hassle. Dredging is crazy expensive and since there's about 6 inches of water in the lakes right now why not drain? For those of you that have skied at Aquaplex we've hosted many large tournaments over the years (several Big Dawgs, U. S. Open etc.). The Collegiate Nationals were held at Aquaplex last year. Bottom line is we want to be very careful and not change the "great skiing" that Aquaplex is known for. Obviously I have too much money since I'm paying dues NOT to ski at Aquaplex but I'm still paying cash to lease at another ski lake located about an hour from my house.

I've been involved in a fair amount of earthwork- I'd say that if you can drain it dry or mostly so, a good operator with a scraper is the way to go- If you're not hauling the material anywhere, and can distribute or use it on-site, scrapers are money. Scrapers are way faster than dozers but sometimes not as available. Loading and trucking after removing the material adds a lot to costs. I would bet a least a few anchors will get moved or destroyed, and that adds time and cost for replacement as well.

• Baller
Extending the berm and only leaving a small gap between the two lakes was already part of the plan (we'll also get rid of some of the dirt that way). We're also trying to figure out the best way to leave a small gap between the two lakes to allow boats to pass between the two lakes, yet still be able to close off the gap and pump from one lake to another. Short of dumping dirt to temporarily fill the gap is there another option?

• Baller
So much for this thread! Aquaplex should be full by sun up. Water is running in so hard its a foot over the road. Hopefully were not talking about deepening the lake for another 20 years or so. Will be nice to have our lakes back. Anyone awake can help me keep the slalom dock from going over the dam. We forgot to tie it up while it was sitting in the mud.

• Baller
Come on Dave. Never heard Jimmy S. complain about jumping here. He set two world records in those days I believe. We will just make sure the wind is from the North next time you visit. Actually its from the North right now. Start driving! Were back in business.