Cancun Skiing

Garn

• Baller

I'm going to Cancun the first week of May. I noticed on the web that there is a slalom course there. Does anyone know anything about the place? Is it good skiing? Skiing and instruction? Or should I not worry about skiing and just do all the other stuff that Cancun has to offer?

Thanks,

Garn

• Baller

Last time I was there was about 3-4 years ago. The course was situated in the 'lagoon' on the opposite side of the road where all the hotels/resorts were located. I never saw anyone ski on it but I did notice it wasn't in the best condition (i.e. - buoys missing, out of alignment, etc.). Since I never saw anyone ski on it, I have no idea what boats they used to pull a skier. I'm pretty sure the water is at least brackish if not salt water.

As an aside, we ate at a restaurant on the shore parallel to the course and one of their draws was the ability to feed the gators from the deck just after dark. There were enough to cause me to wonder whether I wanted to spend lot of time swimming in that water!! :)

• Baller

I met a guy through Team Mastercraft forum who lives in Cancun. Met up with him and he took my wife and I for a day out on the lagoon. The course wasnt the best but we had a great time. Had no idea there were alligators in the lagoon. His friend got mad at him when he dropped him to close to shore ! This was about 5 years ago. Still have some pics on the computer.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/DSCN0027.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/DSCN0021.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/DSCN0022.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/DSCN0034.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/DSCN0042.jpg

• Baller
I skied there last March with Scott he has a older Matercraft with perfectpass on it, the skiing was good water was in the low 80s course was in good shape had to wait for the wind to calm one of days. I would go back if I am down there again.

• Baller
I skied with Scott about 5-6 years ago at waterskicancun, Scott is a great guy and knows alot about the area. It was a good time to get wet and round some buoys. I was on borrowed equipment so that made it a little funky for me, plus the salt water was very different. I would not equate to a serious ski school, although Scott does know his stuff. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

• Baller

I am going to Cancun the last week of March and had hoped to ski since the entrance to ski Cancun is directly across from the Sun Palace resort. My ski partner goes there once a year and skis the Club Med course. She doesn't like to be the first skier in the morning as their job is to scare away the crocodiles with the boat.

@pq2 I guess this is me letting you know I am heading down there.

Great Colo, I live on the side of La Isla Shopping Center. Personally I don't like Club Meds course. Scotts course outside club med is good and we also have two more courses that we use depending the wind direction. Crocs are our friends :)

• Baller
pq2 Thanks for getting back so quickly. My ski buddy has some friends that have skied with Scott and some are actually featured on the Cancun ski Web site. We are actually staying at the Moon Palace and have access to shuttles to the Sun Palace. Based on this I was going to bring my ski stuff down and see about getting some early season sets in.

Sounds great, again I ski very early because i have to go to work but you are more than welcome, and I can pick you up in front of the moon palace.

By the way this is not my business so it is not my intention to take clients from scott, He is great and he runs his ski site very well.

I'm hopefully going in July with the girlfriend, originally for scuba diving but noticed waterski cancun and figured i might as well take my ski if they have a few courses.. the pics look good on waterskicancun cant see much of the courses though.. how are the 19 skiers? I ski behind a PS 197 TT on SG..

• Baller
Wife and I go to Cancun every year and have a blast. We love that place. The beach and the ocean are amazing and half the cost of Hawaii. We've often thought about skiing there. May have to check that out.