AM Skis.

block

• Baller

What is the fascination with Andy's skis?

Before someone jumps on me I will let you know I have purchased 2 Mapples in the 90s, the original Sixam and I currently have an Elite. I always read the hype but I rarely see anyone on one...other then Andy. It seems to me that Andy was a super successful skier but not so much when it comes to ski design. The LaPoints, Goode and Radar either do a much better job designing or marketing or both.

Just a thought.

• Baller
The ski that got Radar off the ground and onto the map was the MPD, which (I believe) stands for "Mapple Produced Design". Unless I'm mistaken Andy designed that ski. I still ski on mine, know several folks still skiing on them, mine is serial #0028 and supposedly hand tuned by the man himself, and it still rocks. Prefer it over the Strada personally - I own both. Did a number of designs for Obrien as you've stated, the SixAM's, the Elite, what else? Not a successful ski designer? Hmmmm... Perhaps marketing hasn't been his personal forte to date (he's known to be the quiet type) but he really hasn't had the opportunity to go that on his own. Yet.

• Baller
Andy's ski design has changed as slalom technique has evolved with speed control technology. The Mapple was a good ski for its day. I loved his original red/blue Sixam. I still like the Elite and I would buy an RTM Sixam version in a heartbeat!

• Baller
O'brien just does not have a very strong marketing department or funding in my opinion with the tiered companies under Archer. That is one major thing I think that has held his skis popularity back while with O'Brien under its current ownership.

• Baller
Once again not trying to dog Andy, but if the ski had a competitive advantage wouldn't that stand on its own amongst big dog skiers? Obrein Elite was the title sponsor and I don know if a single skier skied one at an event. A good friend skied great on an MPD, but how many MPDs did you see at tournament level? Just thinking out loud, but is it all marketing or does Andy design skis that ski well for him but not so much for others?

• Baller
Nicole Arthur joins team Mapple as well? Adam Cord driving, Marion Mathieu's photo(marketing person for AM Skis). Hm I wonder who is on the platform of that Mapple edition 200 wearing an AM skis bib. I mgiht add CP was in the same album... hmm possibly on the team? 426068_10150701794229935_701734934_11108113_1081915943_n.jpg

• Administrators
I know that Cord, CP and Smith were out drinking together about a week ago. You can draw all kinds of rumors from that. They will all be false but go ahead anyway.

• Baller_
In 400 A.D. , the Roman solders were called out of England and back to defend Rome against an invasion. Britain (without protection) was then invaded by Anglo-Saxons. Southern part of England soon became known as Angeland, or England. While invading Britain, the Angles and Saxons pushed aside the people already living there. These people were called the Celts. The Celts fled to Ireland. Could be why they don't like being called English. Talk about a long term grudge. Gotta love 7th grade social studies. Literal studying this stuff for a chapter exam with my daughter. Too funny. And this concludes our studies for today. Special thanks to JTH for the geography lesson

• Administrators

I talked to ... someone yesterday. Launch is Late Spring/ Early Summer. I could not get a real date.

They want to have their ducks in a row before they officially launch. I know that my source ... is working long hours to get the factory ready for production. I am optimistic what these guys are doing.

• Baller_
Hmmmmm? I have some bright blue electric tape. I could add some graphics to my ski. Seriously, that's the best Andy and Adam could muster for graphics. My wife's Cricket machine could easily slice all of that out of vinyl sticky back. Maybe it's just the ptoto type.

• Baller_

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=cricut+machine&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8422454516575629775&sa=X&ei=Qa5eT86SJoXc2AWFrNWfCA&ved=0CHoQ8wIwAw

Ok this is way off topic but was asked. It cuts any shape out of just about anything. All the vinyl stickers you see for BOS or other ski stuff can be reproduced. It's like a machinist flow jet.

@MattP I'm married, that's why I know what it is. How do you know?