Helmets for Slalom guys?

501Brandon

I hit the water weird last night and feel like I may have blown an ear drum (I can make it whistle)... Do any of you were any helmets or any other devices to stop stuff like that. I know that not crashing is the best solution but sometimes stuff happens.

@klundell how is the fit on the helmet you wear? Do you know the manufacturer/where to buy? I know the wakeboard helmets are all cut short and fit loose... I recall 2 people in Arkansas in the last 10 years wearing helmets, one kid whos ski come aorund and punched a hole in his skull that obviously required medical attention, from that point forward he wore a helmet. Another pretty good older skier wore one also and I believe he had been hit and cut by the ski . I recall both of their helmets fitting fairly nice (like a motorcycle helmet only not as large). I appreciate all the input from everyone. Hopefully my crew @0nside135 wont make to much fun of me if I do wear one.

• Baller_
Make sure your custom molded ear plugs look like this. It must encompass much of the outer ear. Small store bought ones put you at risk for further damage as a crash can force these smaller plugs further into you ear canal damaging the tympanic membrane (ear drum) more. Custom molded ones can be fitted with lanyards to attach to vest and they float.http://static-cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/82/7d5e19a276a24678624fbf59826018.jpg

• Baller_
How does that not affect hearing. Most likely those with a blown ear drum only need one plug and the other ear will hear fine. That helmet covers both ears. And if there are holes in it for hearing, it defeats the purpose.

I blew an eardrum last summer and now I use Doc's proplugs, they are also vented. I purchased a variety pack of four different sizes for $30 so I didn't have to guess on a size. you can also get them with a leash. I did not notice much interference with my hearing compared to the moldable silicon earplugs. They are pretty thin compared to those pictured above in the previous post. Also you have to look really hard to notice if someone is wearing them.

proplugs dot com is their website

• Baller

I had a broken ear drum 3 yars ago and started to use the doc's proplug

they are confortable and reduces the noise but you can still hear what people on the boat say.

They must be vented for this purpose (protect the eardrum) that way it does not transfere the impact to the eardrum.

If you chose using this , I sugest the red one , they float and its easier tho find the colored one if they felt in the water.

I never lost it during a fall , but getting out of the water ,two times

http://www.snowshack.com/product_detail.asp?T1=SNW+PR-02635+RBK+S&trk_src_ss=SNWGBASEWEBMACSS%7CSEO%7CGB%7C This is the helmet that I wear. I had no idea what I was doing when I got it. I did very little research I just thought I would give it a try. I don't where it very tight (which allows for the same sound and doesn't impair your hearing too much) but the ear flaps still protect from a direct blow. I've never had any problem with the water catching it on a crash and I've taken a few hard ones while wearing it. I think it does help you from getting your bell rung too.

• Baller
If ballers start wearing helmets, maybe it'll take the ridicule heat off my ankle spray protector! I'm sorry, I try and try, but my leg literally gets black and blue if I don't wear that stupid thing. Then I'm in so much pain I can't ski. Feel free to let me have it, but just know that I've heard it all before:-)

• Baller

I've blown my eardrum on slalom using an Ace Wake helmet with ear flaps. Didn't help. It's been ProPlugs from here on out, so +1 on docsproplugs.com

That said, I've also blown eardrums with Docs Pro Plugs in but they do reduce the chances quite a bit.

• Baller
@travnews yep, vented. Just really, REALLY hard falls, generally barefooting faceplants. I've probably blown an eardrum 6X at least. To be fair, I had 3 sets of tubes as a child so perhaps my eardrums are a bit weaker than normal.

• Baller_
Id vote non vented plugs. I'd say that water at high presure will find the path of least resistance and travel through any opening. I say this as @travnews reminded me (when I was a highschooler) of the barefoot suit that was to large around my legs and water SHOT up one of the legs in a fall. Oooh, it found the path of least resistance..... didn't affect my hearing but I think the water traveled that high internally.

• Baller

Never had real problems with eardrums or ear infections.. as a kid, yes, but didn't everyone? My trouble is water that enters my right ear does not want to exit.

So after skiing I always have to get the alcoholic ear dry drops. Its gotten worse in the last few years. I really need to get some ear plugs for skiing. never blown a drum though. (knock on wood) A week ago, I put some alcoholic drops in (water trapped in ear) and it burned on exit like all the way down the canal. Maybe I have a hole.

The vented do let a little water in. But, the vent helps displace the pressure between the ear plug and the eardrum. You can still blow an eardrum if you slap the water hard enough with a non-vented plug. As stated above you can still blow an eardrum with a vented plug too. The vent is to help dampen pressure spikes between the drum and plug. I think anyway.

@usaski1 I bought some little blue ear plugs at walgreens that are made to remove water. They work pretty good. U just role them up, stick them your ear, wait a few minutes and they help soak up the water. They work for me when needed.

I have ear problems which has required me to see an audioligist alot in the past 8 months. It nearly put an end to my skiing. I wanted to get back on the water and suggested Docs pro plugs to my audioligist, she checked them out and said they may not offer much protection in a high speed crash. She said i should get some custom made swim plugs. They are great, they look the same as the ones Wish posted above. They do dull the sound a bit, but the peace of mind knowing you wont damage your ears or get water in them is fantastic.