Do I just need to go ski and stop thinking?

sixball

I am on a public lake and we ski illegal quite often, No spotter. I have a Rlxi and my bud has CC 196. I need to weight my Rlxi to compensate for driver only. The CC, it is not noticeable. My question, is this due to the what I will call the reverse rotation of the prop on the CC 196 ? If I had bucks to burn I would love to set up a Rlxi with a set up like CC.

I know just go buy a CC. Should I just go ski and not think about this crap?

• Baller
One of my ski partners has a water sack about the size of an ice chest with an electric pump he uses in his prostar 205. We put it back toward the back of the boat. When finished just let it drain in the bottom of the boat. Works good. Not sure where he got it.

• Baller

I use old batteries. Drain the acid out of them so thyey can't damage the boat if they tip. Mine never tip though. The handles are convenient and batteries are reasonably dense weight in a small movable package.

Even better is a 1 gallon (4 liter) jug filled with lead shot. Easy to carry and place, small and quite heavy. And if you sponsor a 3 event tournament those are the best tournament supplied weights.

I'm not sure if the rotation in a Nautique makes the solo balance better or worse. But it is a subtle effect easily overcome with modest weights.

In all honesty, slalom skiing is not tremendously sensitive to weight. Just go ski.

Eric

• Baller
I go to a pool supply store. They have nice 5 gallon jugs that the chemicals come in. You usually have to put a $5 deposit down on the jugs when you buy the chlorine. So they get returned empty. You can usually talk them into letting you have a couple for the $5 deposit. You can clean it and fill it with water or sand (depending on how much weight you need). They are sealed, have a nice handle and you can return them and get your money back at the end of the season. Works great. Fill it with sand and then water, and one jug can weigh up to 100 lbs.

• Baller

I keep two 6 gallon buckets with lids in the boat and it works good. If we pick up another skier witch we do often I just dump the buckets and stash them. I am just wondering what the effect of the torque of the prop has on the boat. I think the Rlxi has less hull in the water also. You do see a change in the wake when off balance.

I found that about 50 pounds of ballast placed in the open bow opposite the driver seat balanced my 07 and 08 lxi's nicely. When the observer was substantially heavier than the driver, then I'd remove the weight. I don't know how the lxi compares to the rxi but I would suspect they are very similar.

I don't use any weight in my current 196. I like to have an observer sit close to the center though( not too close).

• Baller

I keep a 45lb weight under the passenger seat or in the nose. It seems to do the trick when there are just 2 of us skiing. Many LXIs and am doing the same with the TXI. But if we have an observer they will have to sit more center.

Jeff Lindsey

• Baller
Small weight and go skiing. I have always thought this was why CC went opposite prop rotation than the others...mostly b/c I can't come up with any other reason. It certainly wasn't so it would reverse well, though I'm used to it now as a 196 owner.

• Baller

I bought four 35 pound rubber coated free weight plates to balance out my 2007 RLXi since I usually ski midweek with just 1 ski partner. One goes on the floor in the open bow and the other three go under the observer seat close to the outside. I tied a loop of 1 inch nylon strap thru each one to make them easy to pick up and remove from under the seat when we have a real observer. I never remove the one on the floor in the walkthru. They balance the wake nicely, don't leave rust stains on carpet, are out of the way, but still easy to remove when not needed. If you leave them in with 1 observer, it's just like tournament conditions with 3 in the boat.

• Baller
6balls, back in the old days, when most of this crowd wasn't even born, several of the CC dealers were bending the Meloon's (CC family owners) ears about that very thing. MC, the only competitor of note, was a lot easier to dock and it just seemed more "natural" to back driver's side. CC response was as long as a shallow draft boat could approach the skier on the driver's side for conversation, they felt it was safer for reverse to "back away" from the skier. Other than a 99yr contract with Borg-Warner transmission folks to make it that way, I guess that made sense. To them, anyway. Besides, they said, we were first. It's the others that back the "wrong way". So there you have it.

@6ball, myself, and several others here use the 50 lb. black heavy duty vinyl bags with yellow handles of steel shot sold by metaltec steel co. We bootleg free ski runs quite a bit without a spotter. I put 2 bags in my port side, under the pass. Seat on my s/n, and just leave them there, spotter or not. They work great, are pretty flat, and never budge an inch. Hope this helps.

• Baller

The right hand rotation lifts the boat up on the right side. Although, I heard CC is going to LH rotation in the next generation (I hope that was just idle gossip). We have been skiing sans observer for many years in our lake, and always kept 100lbs (2 plates) in the shed for when the LH guy would bring his boat. The Mastercrafts were more noticeable than the Hydrodynes, but both listed to the right with just a driver. We only use our 2007 SN now, so no plates needed.

I know a lake in Michigan where they have a 2009 SN and use block weights, even with an observer. They like to weight the front down to flatten the wake. I couldn't really tell the difference when I skied behind it.

• Baller
@gsm_peter‌ law enforcement on lakes seems to vary here in Texas, depends on the lake and day of the week. Earlier this year I went out on a big holiday weekend and there was a law enforcement boat out pulling everyone over checking for drinking, safety and boat registration. On the other hand the local public lake I go to regularly I've never seen a law enforcement boat in 25 years. Here we have Game Wardens, county sheriff, and if the lake is in city limits local police all my have boats and patrol regularly on busy lakes. As far as fines, its getting were all fines are significant in Texas, seems to me its more about how much money they can get from you rather than what is right or wrong - someone got to pay for the law enforcement machine. Some states require spotters in the boat, flags to show your skiing.