New Stick

jjackkrash

• Baller
I'm feeling like I want a new stick. I'm on a 68" Connelly F1 that I like just fine, but I think I'd like to try something new. I'm currently 5'10, 204 lbs. as of this morning. I'm a 34.2 skier and spend most of my time between 22 and 32 off, but hopefully some 35s are in my future. I was thinking Prophesy because I have had good luck with Connelly's, but is there anything else I need to take a hard look at? Also, does the model year matter that much? I'd prefer to not pay full retail of I can avoid it. I have Radar RS-1 bindings that still work just fine and will probably stick with then, unless there is something out there that is a significant improvement over these bindings that I should try. I'm curious what the Baller's think.

• Baller

Need more information. What is the F1 not doing that you want it to?

Otherwise, you're just going to get a bunch of random opinions of which ski to try.

I understand not wanting to pay full retail, but choosing a new ski is such a personal decision and it can be such a crapshoot if you don't have the ability to test one beforehand - which is the appeal of the demo programs dealers have, helps take some of the guesswork out.

• Baller

The F1 is a good ski, I really don't have any complaints. I just wanted to try something new, I've been on it for a while. I picked up a new 2011 68" Strada at Wiley's that I can exchange in the next few weeks if I want to. I am using the same RS-1 bindings I used in the F-1.

I have a few passes on it, but I have a hard time on my offside with it. Its very stable and fast on my onside, but I get stuck a bit on the offside and head down course. It might be my offside form, I tend to break forward at the waste a bit wehn I make a mistake. The guy at Wiley's told me to put the boots in the middle and leave the fin at its stock setting. I am wondering if I wouldn't benefit from some fin adjustment, but I am not very knowledgable on these things.

• Baller
Chef, I've heard good things about the S2. I may give that a try. I also think I want to try the 2012 Prophesy. Mateo, how much do you weigh? 67 seems pretty short for an over 200 pounder. Jay, adding a different fin seems like another variable I don't need. I also wonder how the ski would respond to moving the bindings back a notch. That's where I've always ran my Connellys.

• Baller
Thanks, Mateo, yes I did get a deal on the 2011, it was a lot less than a 2012. But I don't want to pinch pennies and be unhappy forever either. Where did you set your bindings? Mine are dead center now, I am wondering if back one would help.

• Baller

It was Fall of 2010 when I last rode the 2011 68 Strada. I wasn't using the Radar bindings yet and can't remember settings but felt too much speed and not enough turn. So last year used the 67 Strada with the Strada boot 1.5 holes forward of stock. I think the unique bevel design allowed me to get away with being so far forward and also increased the surface area like a narrow 68. I'm on the 2012 68 now and started the season with the front boot in the middle and moved forward 1/2 hole after the water warmed up. The new ski is a little more forgiving and my scores have been more consistant.

One back probably won't help your off-side on the 2011 68. You can try moving forward but ultimately I think you should get a 2012.

• Baller
Sorry to threadjack, but I'm in a very similar boat. Stockier build (5'7", 175lbs), -22 to -32 @ 34, gunning to get into -35, and in my case, I've got RS-1 bindings (which I'll keep) on an old 66" KD7000 (which seems just a touch short for me, not to mention it doesn't seem super-peppy). Working on riding outbound and being patient in the turns. The 67" Radar Senate-C has my eye, both for performance and price (I'd like to stay shy of $1k, otherwise the S2 is pretty tempting). Thoughts?