Boat under 19K

tfriess

• Baller
Looking for a very nice used ski boat under 19K. Needs to be in like new condition. I prefer a Nautique or Mastercraft but thats just me. If you know of anyone who has aboat like this, please let me know. I am a serious buyer.

• Baller
There are a couple beautiful TSC1 Ski Nautiques for sale right now in that price range. There is a black/tan beauty in Madison, a green/tan in Milwaukee, and another amazing green/tan in the Chicago area. Check madison.craigslist.org, milwaukee.craigslist.org, and chicago.craigslist.org to see them. Personally I feel there is no better ski boat for the money than a 97-01 Ski Nautique. As good as any modern boat, or better, in all 3 events. Visibility, driving, tracking, ergonomics are all as good as it gets and the wake is killer for slalom and trick at all lines and speeds.

• Baller
@jhughes, another vote '97-01 Nautique. One of the very best wakes, high quality boat, great ergonomics, quiet, tracks great, rope almost NEVER catches on the back as idling around skier even if a relative amateur at the wheel. Might check if has tune-able rudder...makes it easy to set up with just the right amount of counter steer.

• Baller_
@AB green is better. To many similar looking blue and whites out there that were non Masters edition. Forest green was a first for SN and they stopped using it (fools), but kept blues reds...... Did say I was biased. @rodltg2 ......Wow!!!!

@tfriess I found my 2004 SN196 poverty pack edition with EX330, and stargazer in Ski it again for the upper limit of your budget. I purchased during your winter this year and shipped it all the way the Australia. Unfortunately the ZO upgrade for my 2004 its $4500USD just for parts.

• Baller

@tfriess the '00 PP set up is fine. You can upgrade to stargazer and or stargazer and z-box if you want. I'm still running the PP classic in my '00. My buddy has PP classic in his '97 and it runs good times as well.

I bought my '00 in 2010 with 84 hrs on it for $17K even. There should be a number of 196's out there in your price range....maybe as new as '02.

MS is saying above you can upgrade the '02 w/excaliber engine to Zero Off like Thager did (not the emulator...the real deal ZO). He mounted the module in his cupholder and it's really cool.

• Baller
@tfriess I was looking for $15K but came across the '00 with only 84 hours and had to inquire. It was consignment at a dealership and the owner was moving. Asking price was $19,800. Told them $17k was all I could do and didn't expect to get it....got lucky.

• Baller_
@tfriess There was an 02 with 290 hours in Minn for 20k but it is not listed anymore. I am sure you could find ond for under 20. The 02 has an easy zo conversion due to some central box that wires ran through. @Jody seal or Thager can fill you in.

• Baller
02 is the easiest convert because it was wire to accessary. No plug in box like later boats that need new box for conversion and therefore higher cost. Here is picture of how I mounted the module. 1st pic is before I installed all new Faria guages

• Baller
I will say this, I have a 04 Lxi, a buddy of mine has a TSC1 hull (99). When he invites me to ski with him I cant do it just because of that boat. Dont get me wrong, I love Nautique the 200 is my favorite boat. However I feel like that TSC1 hull is just too big, after I ski behind it, then my 04 diamond hull, I can ski 100x better behind my boat. The guy who owns that TSC1 swears up and down by that boat so I guess its just what you get used to.

• Baller
@livetoski, what length/speed? I ski a 196 most frequently, a MC 197 some, both a Lxi and a LX mixed in there at times. In terms of wake, no comparison overall...give me a 196 all day long. With the right prop the 200 is even better...best of the best but with the wrong prop not so. I don't mind skiing any of them...splitting hairs but it's pretty clear. None of it is so dramatic as to affect my scores...but all of the TSC hulls are fantastic for me from 28-39. My ski buddy opens at 22 and it's even more important to him as much less bump there.

• Baller
It's so nice to get behind my Green 97 Masters Edition Nautique after skiing the 2009 197 and the 200. I only ski into 35 off in tournaments and a few at 38 off in practice, but always start at 22 off. I train behind the newer boats to prepare for tournaments, but when I get my 97 off the lift I can't believe how backwards boats have gone when it comes to wakes. I run the Z-Box and ski identical buoy counts and feel no difference behind the boat. I did spend a great deal of time setting the Z-Box up and it is near perfect. The only problem I have when changing boats is reminding myself to prepare for the big wake & rooster behind the newer boats at the longer line lengths. I would say unless you are part of those fortunate and skilled enough to run into 39 in tournaments the ole 97 Nautique is the best boat for money.

I sold my 02 196 gt40 last fall for 17,500 lots of hrs but great boat. bought it in 03 for under 22,000. replaced it with 09 197 loaded w/zero off for close to the same. both came from ski schools with around 1000 hrs and no problems.

• Baller

@tfriess, have yet to meet a bad one. Anyone know when they added the trunk? Might be an important point for your potential purpose. My '00 is a slalom tractor at a ski swamp with one partner. We have no need for a trunk and with the back seat out it's an easy step over to transom. If you are doubling as family boat or need the covered storage may want to go new enough to get the trunk. Also not sure when they went to the touchpad controls. I find those old breaker switches on the dash of my buddies '97 to be a pain and much prefer my touchpad.

I guess in your shoes I would be looking '02 so could convert to ZO like @thager. I'm tempted to look for one myself to get the real deal speed control.

• Baller
@tfriess - The big difference is in the weight of the boats. 1997 -2000 the Ski Nautiques specified weight was 2340 lbs. In 2001 the specified weight jumped to 2570 lbs. For me I would choose one between 97 - 2000. If you go to CorrectCraftFan.com under the their reference tab you can look at the brochures for each year of Nautique and see the weight specifications. In 2008 the 196 weight rose to 2610 lbs. If you can find 97-2000 with Perfect Pass StarGaszer you can upgrade to the Z-Box for less than $500.00 and you will have a Slalom boat that is difficult to find fault. One other item to look for is the tunable rudder. This was not stock in 1997 and you would want to upgrade if you want to easily adjust the way the boat tracks.

• Baller
@bogboy. Wouldn't say it is easy but very doable. I worked with Tim White at Inboard Solutions LLC. With average mechanical ability just follow instructions and be patient. Get help when needed. Hardest part for me was figuring out where and how to mount the display so it looked good. Oh yeah, pulling the wires wasn't real fun either! Use lots of wire KY.

• Baller
@tfriess you can put some rudder pressure on it so it has a natural turning tendency one direction. It is far easier to drive in the course that way as there is no dead spot on center...completely removes any play while driving in the buoys. Most buoy heads without tune able rudders actually grind one side of the rudder for similar effect. On the tune able rudder it's a little tab on the trailing edge that you can adjust with two phillips screws.

• Baller_
The rudder has a small tab that can be adjusted. This puts pressure on one side of the rudder forcing it in one direction or another. The only way to keep the boat straight is to hold the wheel straight. You can feel the pull in the wheel. So the wheel is under load. Let go and the boat will veer left or right depending on where you set the tab. The load that you feel on the wheel is slight but there. This allows the driver to make finite adjustments to compensate for skier pulling the boat off a straight line. Without the load, the steering is not as responsive. Not actually play in the wheel but close to it.