RADAR 2013

JC McCavit

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently on a 2011 Strada. I Skied a friends 2013 Strada last week set with my exact 2011 settings and cannot believe this ski is made from the same skiing surface mold!! I had no idea diff layup and diff materials could make such a drastic difference in performance. I felt the tip didnt rise at the finish of the turn like my 11. Ski carved both on and offside turns tighter and easier esp my offside turn wow!! I felt width at -28 that i had never felt and for some reason the wakes felt softer now that i think about it. Overall i am very impressed with the 2013 strada. Way to go Radar you guys hit this one out of the park!!!

• Baller
The Vice and Vice C have the machined polyurethane foam core. The Strada has the PVC core. Strada is 100% carbon, so is the Vice C. Vice is 1/2 carbon 1/2 glass. Vice C weighs about 8 oz. more than the Strada and retails for 950.00. A really awesome ski at a reasonable price. The Senate C is built in our own facility in China under the direct supervision of RadaR employees. Strada boots as well.

• Baller
Just want to clarify m y previous comment. I am not opposed to overseas manufacturing. My wife and I drive foriegn cars.I am leaning towards a Senate C and thought it would add to the cool factor if I could tell my buddies it was made at the lake.

• Baller
All of our skis were designed and the molds were machined at the "RadaR Lab at RadaR Lake". We then built skis out of the Senate, Lyric, Theory and P6 molds at Radar and did our on water testing there to determine the correct flex. Then, we sent those molds overseas, along with me, and set up production in the aforementioned facility. The Senates have not changed in shape and the Strada bindings now have a contoured flap over the laces where the excess lace can be tucked away and they're also sporting thicker liners.

I have to retract my original '13 Strada set-up commentary. Over the last 3 trips to the lake I have gravitated right back to numbers very close to the out-of-the-box set-up. I'm still back just a little but the length and depth is back where it started and I really think I should have left it alone. I'll never doubt ya again Eddie :)) Love the ski.

Anybody else want to share some set-up numbers? (68")

6.870"

2.500"

0.795"

Boots at 30"

• Baller

Hi @Sully I've tested the Fusion twice this year, but you may be thinking of JaySki who switched to Fusion this summer.

I tested the Fusion and Strada back-to-back last week though and liked both skis a lot. I'm coming off an Elite so I liked that the Strada felt the faster of the two, and was surprised at how easy and forgiving the Strada is for such a fast ski. You have a real winner there.

I had trouble finding numbers for the 66" though, and ended up starting with extrapolated numbers between Eddie's recommendations for the 65" and 67" skies. I couldn't find any setup information on either of your websites. Where should I be looking?

• Baller

Haha! The "flaming carrot" ... beautiful!

I don't want to hold myself out as a ski reviewer, @davemac, because I'm not being very scientific or thorough about it. Horton has the right idea by spending meaningful time with each ski. I've been rotating through them, bouncing back and forth set to set. Having said this, my impression of the Fusion is very positive. It fills an interesting niche. It's definitely a fast ski, but not as temperamental as the fastest. It's quite forgiving, but not as much work as skis that are more forgiving. And as an added bonus, D3's fit and finish are as good as it gets. The flaming carrot feels a bit faster but still turns GREAT, and is impressively forgiving of my inconsistencies for such a fast ski. For me, the Fusion helps most at the ball, and the Strada is brilliant into and through the edge change.

Ok this is my first take on my 2013 Strada after 6 sets!! First off the water i have been skiing on went from 70 to 55 in a 3 week time span so its been tuff to gauge the ski and water plus throw in the dry suit factor and you have some pretty dramatic changes taking place. Anyway i set up my new 67 exact same as my 2011 67 (Rossi's setting's) and was able to ski my new average practice of 3@35 no problem. Then i had a great observer in the boat (Mike Parsons) notice my offside was really bitting hard at complete of turn so we went back 1/8 with the boots. Since that move i skied 1 set 6 passes and boom!! i have never had a stronger offside turn in my life!! This ski really turns and its just as fast as my 2011 possible faster with the boots back!! pretty sure i ran one of my cleanest easiest -32 ever!! i am hoping to add some more info to this thread before water turns to a solid state? Not trying to go out and PB at this point with these cold temps just want to finish healthy and strong going into winter snow ski season!! i am excited to ski into or even run -35 next time out with the new setting!! will just have to see if mother nature warms back up a little? oh yeah i will try to get some video next time out and post? Overall this ski is a keeper and has great potential to take me further up the rope next year Cheers!!!!