RADAR 2013

JC McCavit

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Just heard from the source, Sully. New top design creates a much lighter tip. Big time change to layup that changes the rebound of the ski signifcantly. Color is bright orange almost flouresent, bottom is orange too. Must be a new mold because because Chris said it was only available in 66, 67, 68 with the big ski and smaller sizes to follow.

• Baller
I didn't talk to anyone about it but I did see it today at Nationals and it is very bright. There is a new HO A3 also and new graphics on the S3 but no change to the ski. There is a new HO boot also that looks like a Radar but the liner doesn't come out.

• Baller
I talked to the guy for a few minutes but I wasn't taking notes. They changed the top of the ski in the tip as well as the rocker and bevels. The objective was to get a ski that carries out better and keeps the tip down in the turns. The changes they made in the tip also lightened the ski up some as well.

• Baller
I will be riding the bright orange ski as I compete against a good friend on a Nano One next season. This is going to be fun. All the hype on the S2 did not produce tournament results. And what I saw on the guys podium at Malibu was everything but a Nano One...all I can say is, I am willing to wait and see how the love affair with Nano One works out. If a new world record is set, then that says something. Nate Smith will most likely win Nationals on a D3 and if Andy Mapple wins the Big Dawg this weekend, the hype will be back to AM. I think it is really all about the person driving the ski nothing less and nothing more.

• Baller

Kyle Tate practiced at Nationals on the new 2013 Radar Strada. Ran a 28, 32, 35, 39. Though it was a 38 it looked so easy, I was told it was 39. Tried it last week and it was going to the Big Dawg with him. He was not giving it back. Must be good to change sticks a week before big event.

Just like a good crack addict if i dont get my hands on one of those new stradas someone might get hurt lol!!! Super stoked to test the new product!!! might have to have one shipped to me from nationals if possible? i am jonsing for a fix but cant afford to fly down there just to make a ski purchase!! Sounds fun though!

• Baller

Holy Orange Crush... are those orange ski bases bright!! Radar just put up a picture on instagram of a whole rack of them at Okeeheelee (maybe someone can post it here). That ski is sure to freak out any fish or critters lurking beneath the surface of the water. I kinda like it.

My Strada boot is getting a bit tattered (but looks new compared to Jody's). I'd be interested if any further changes were made to the 2012 boot redesign... tough to see what boots KC Wilson has on in the orange Strada pic.

• Baller

@JC A new WR was already set on the Nano One in Regina's first tournament on the ski. I agree the N1 is over-hyped, but it may yet come sorta close to that hype. Time will tell.

Then again, if anybody is forgetting that the skier is waay more important than the ski, they are being silly. In fact, I can't take Jamie's ski advice all that seriously because he could beat me skiing on a 2 x 4. The ski is only able to provide a tiny incremental gain. +1 buoy is HUGE for a ski, in my opinion, and some of these 2012 skis may provide just that. Again, time will tell.

• Baller

@Than Bogan - Yea, I knew that. I was just referring to the mens WR. That record has stood a long time. I am just saying there are a lot folks like me who can only get half way through 35 off at 34 mph in a tournment and they should think twice about buying $2000.00 ski, when one half the price may be all they need.

If you didn't know it, your writings have been a big inspiration and have help me progress more than any new ski. Thanks

• Baller

Sweeeeeet! As a mediocre athlete, I get more satisfaction from being able to help people than from tournament placement.

Better skis are the desperate move of someone who doesn't know any other way to get better.

In other words: me.

I agree I would be very cautious about a huge ski purchase if you're not on a performance plateau.

Well said @thanbogan (performance plateau) exact reason i would have a really hard time with purchasing a goode. I just dont see the need to spend the extra money when my skiing is mediocre. Besides that another point to think about here is who won the mens pro series last year? and what ski was he on?

• Baller_
Just watched my Italian friend run 39 today on a brand new, straight off the show room floor $700 ski. His goal..find a ski that's physically easier with the same or slightly more buoy count. I expect to see 2 or 3 at 41 by the end of next week. 2k... Ya I'd see what other skies for lesser $$ could do for me first before plunking down almost 3x what he paid. And if one can't be found.....I'd wait a year and pay 3/4 the price. Just my skier on a budget 2 cents worth or half a cent.

• Administrators

@rico

I wish that was true. Now with the season past 1/2 over I have skis wall to wall to review.

@markchilcutt

Sorry I was channeling chevy chase from Caddy Shack