Why is Cold Water so different?

londonskier

Just had a great week skiing at Swiss Ski School, Orlando with some friends. Also got some great coaching with Phil Hughes and really felt I was getting somewhere. That water temp was about 65 F. Ran a PB of 4 @32 off. Back to London and I'm in 40F water today and a drysuit. Could not run a single pass, over two sets. Worse still, all my form has gone, cannot get my hips up nor turn the ski. The water feels rock hard, every bump like concrete really fast. I've noticed the change before but not like this. Why is it SO different?

• Baller

You can adjust the ski some to help. Things that get the tip up are pretty helpful.

Shorten the fin a little, add depth, or move the fin forward (there are some that say move it back), and/or move the bindings back a notch.

I would be curious to see if you make some of the above adjustments if you feel better.

• Baller
You hit the nail on the head @londonskier. For all the reasons @Scotchipman listed (more viscous & more surface tension) it's harder to keep your ski from being dragged behind you. This puts you more on the front of your ski which makes it turn more after the edge change; which in turn points you straight at the ball. In addition, the viscous water makes the ski turn like it's on rails rather than sliding wide like it does in warm water. The bottom line is that cold water makes it harder to get wide and early. Fin tweaks to slow down the edge change help (fin shorter, deeper and further back), but most of all, you just have to work a lot harder at getting wide and early.

• Baller
I ski a lot of cold water and I feel like the biggest difference is that my ski feels like it rides higher on the water. Having thought about it a lot I don't think this is what happens. I think I actually maintain speed better in cold water. In warmer water I think it feels slow because I get across the wakes so early and have so much time that I actually slow down prior to the ball, sink a little, then take off. In colder water I think I don't gain as much "peak speed", and then I stay with the handle and maintain the speed better through the turn. As such, the ski doesn't sink in, making cold water seem "harder" and "faster", even though it very well could be just the opposite.

• Baller
I think you can run just as many buoys in cold as warm. I ran -38 in late October with lake temp near 40 degrees. In early October I ran -38 in Florida (the next day I ran it in MN, then again several more times in Oct). Just have to relax and let the boat do the work -- "long, smooth strokes, let the tool do the work" (a little humor for those of you who see animated movies).

• Baller
While there are ski and binding adjustments that help compensate, there is no silver bullet for cold water. Mostly, the key is understanding that the net result of the many changes due to cold water is a tendency towards skiing narrower. Just knowing that improves your odds of successfully adapting your technique to create more width and space.

• Baller
Funny I had exactly the opposite reaction. When I skied in Florida the water felt really slow. When I got back to cold water in Colorado I had to add another degree to the wing angle to get the ski to feel like it did in Florida. We have really hard mineral laden water here though. I am skiing long line 32MPH max though so probably isn't applicable. I should also mention that there is 4000 ft elevation difference too. The coach were I was mentioned that when he came here to Laku for the Big Dawg tourney he did the same.