Insanity, who pays this?

rodltg2

• Baller
The tax alone buys you a decent boat. Hard to believe people justify that much dough. Buy a used one for a 1/4 the cost. Don't tell me you won't enjoy it just as much. Can you imagine if you financed that boat for 20 years. ! Ouch.

• Baller
Unbelievable. I can believe there are some folks that can pull this off...but I don't understand the volume sold in this class of boat, nor all of the big $$ homes in the metro lakes area. I make a very nice income, but couldn't touch this stuff. If I'm a 1%'er, who the hell are these people and how can there be so many???

• Baller
When I first moved to Canyon Lake I was amazed by all the high dollar toys that were around a majority of the homes there. We talking new WB boats, Diesel pushers, Sand rails, $25-$30,000 lifted golf carts. It was ridiculous!!! I told my wife that I need to figure out what these people did for a living. How could they pull all this off??? Well when the economy started to tank alot of those toys went up for sale and before long that house was empty. I think a majority of these high end toys are bought thru creative financing, second mortgages, long term high interest loans. Most of these people can't afford it, they can some how or another finance it though. I think alot of this is just a show! It certainly was in Canyon Lake!

• Baller

The part I find craziest: how many people in North America can do wakeboard tricks above-and-beyond the basic 4 to 6 inverts (back roll, tantrum, roll to revert, front roll, scarecrow...)? Because if you learn how to edge, you should be able to learn all of those on ANY DD or VDrive. I bet you if they sell 300 of these, 260 end up overwhelming beginners and tubers, or going 12mph while everyone watches someone stand on a surfboard and do nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I've got all the respect in the world for real wakeboarders who can actually use this wake; but I've been on a couple of boats whose wakes are 50% of these and am more intimidated than helped, even when doing inverts.

• Baller
Funny story or maybe a sad one about the exact G23 you show advertised in your picture at the Houston boat show last week. @ShaneH may be able to add some clarity to this story since he often works with Dockside marine. What I heard could be exaggerated but as the story goes....So I guess they plug those boats into auxiliary power at the show in an effort to show prospective customers all of the new screens and expensive gadgetry. My neighbor tells me tonight that he was in that boat when they plugged it in to give him the ten cent electronic tour when something went awry between the G23 and its connection to auxiliary tradeshow power. Smoke began coming out from under the boat and eventually flames come up the side of the boat and they had a really hard time finding access to a fire extinguisher for some odd reason. Moral of the story is you may be able to shave a few thousand dollars off the boat if your interested.

• Baller

@Texas6 There was a bad inverter. Not part of the boat at all. Just one that was put in for the boat show. The problem was that the fire extinguiser was in the same compartment as the inverter. So they had to grab one from another boat and people were in the way.

And yes, we had people walk in and write checks for a G23, G25, XStar, X55, etc. There's no shortage of buyers for these high end, high dollar boats. CC and Mastercraft can't pull them out of the molds fast enough. And no the numbers of these high end boats sold isn't inflated. Dockside sells the entire allotment we get from Mastercraft and CC of these $100 boats. I think last year did 6 $110k= X55s and every G23 or G25 is now spoken for that was in stock.

We did sell a couple of Sport 200s and a direct drive 200 yesterday.

• Baller
@6balls I don't get it either. I think some people are going in partners with even 2 or 3 other people to buy those boats. The recession hasn't been bad enough to teach some people. There are also people who have made a LOT of money off of this recession which always happens in times like this. @Steven Haines We've had a yuppie revolution going on in our own lake neighborhood and it's going stronger than ever. $15,000 ATVs to get to the beach and back because they don't want to walk one block. One of the guys sold his pizza business and is "now retired so that he has time to raise his kids". He's probably 40 or 45. @ShaneH is right about how they can't build the boats fast enough. One of my vendors is big time into skiing and was talking to one of the honchos from Mastercraft and he said it's everything they can do to keep up with the wakeboard demand.

• Baller

Tige dealer and nautique dealers in Austin Tx said there are a lot of partnership with 2 plus people. But still a lot people paying cash. Tige dealer told me the most expensive boat he ever sold a lawyer wrote a check for it.

Unfortunately I never figured out how to make money like that.

• Baller

A lot of people out there just gotta have the latest and greatest even though their skill level does not require it, as mentioned. I think these boats are appreciated for their amazing engineering and attention to detail. So here's a question...will people dump their old boats which may even be last years model, and pay even more, when one of the manufacturers picks up this innovation?

• Baller
I suppose the deal is you have to empty it while still on plane or you drop in the hole with the ballast and now you have the issue the inventor is trying to avoid. Pretty neat idea, if only I gave a rats butt about wakeboarding.

• Baller
Another interesting thing I found while searching boat listings is some same year 196's and Super Air 210's pricing to be pretty close to each other. The 210 I believe was closing in on twice the price of the 196 from '07 forward when new? Seems to be some serious depreciation there.

• Baller

@6balls - I recall that it showed in the vid that if you stop the boat with ballast full you just open the gate and as you are coming on plane the water dumps in 2.5 seconds so your planing time would not take much longer. But your right, ideally you dump the weight before coming to a stop. I know most people on this site are hard core skiers and don't care about wake boarding...guess the point I was making was that all these cool options that we 'need' really drive up the price.

@Texas6 - I think he mentioned saving 15-20% on fuel although I suspect this is just a guess.