Put Your Best Foot Forward

Brady

• Baller

I have often wondered which foot the best skiers in the world put forward. If they are regular, then the first gate is on their strong side, and if they are goofy, then their first guy is their weak side.

I completely understand that most pros don't have a "weak" side, but I am sure they do, just not as noticeable as the rest of us. I would be curious as to what foot forward has the best tournament scores.

I thought of this because I am goofy and I wish I could have a stronger start, seeing as the first ball determines how your run is going to go.

• Baller

But that does counter the present trend towards people taking a softer cut to the gate?

88 feet down course to make it from gates to 1 ball, 134 to get all the way back across to 2.

So the RFF skier can get over to 1 nice, but that's a single cut, then they have to make an offside turn at 1, get over to 2, and then they have a good cut to 3.

LFF has the space before the gates to figure out how they want to set up for an offside cut to 1 where they have 88 feet (not they ~67 that would be half of the distance between the rest of the boat guides.

I would contend that having 3 offside turns/course crossings at 1,3,5 as a RFF skier is more of a detriment than having an offside gate and then three onsides at 1,3,5.

If there were a 12 ball course I would contend that you might see RFF skiers taking a left hand gate cut to 1 in order to get a solid chance at 2, particularly as they get into their shorter passes.

Thoughts?

• Baller
I think it balances out. Your offside is most awkward in (i) the lean, and (ii) the turn. RFF has an advantage in the lean at the gates (and to some extent the turn-in). But as @skier2788 points out, there are really only 5 full-on turns in the course, and the LFF skier gets to do 3 of them onside.

• Baller
Ok - I'll throw a monkey wrench into the mix. I am RFF and this past season I believe my OFFSIDE turn was better than my on side. All things being equal, it would appear that I would have an advantage in the course with my offside being better. Of course for most folks the offside is NOT the better turn. One thing to consider is that we all were taught to ski "left to right" through the gate. Naturally (RFF or LFF) the left or right side of the wake would feel better, but since we have been taught one way we become accustomed/adapted to the "standards." With that being said, a 12 ball course would be SWEET! How much better would we get if we switched up our course skiing every once in a while and did our gates from the right vs the left?

• Supporting Member

I'm with andjules. I don't think there is a net advantage to either configuration, and the last time I saw any stats (admittedly quite a while ago), they seemed to bear that out: i.e. no statistically significant advantage for either foot forward.

The course is pretty darned symmetric after all. An even number of buoys in a regular lattice. This really means that any advantage is gonna be balanced by a disadvantage.

As a RFF, it's hard for me to even imagine setting up and going through the gate with an off-side pull. But a second later I'm sure wishing I didn't have to face the evil 1 ball with an off-side turn. It all comes out in the wash.

My ski partner has an interesting situation, though, which is that he's a LFF whose "off" side pull tends to be stronger than his "on" side. So he's going through the gate with his better pull and then immediate into his better turn. Awesome, right?

But THEN, he has to face a weaker pull and a weaker turn consecutively, and the two ball is almost always where he fails on stretch runs. So again, it balances out.

• Baller
Ultimately, the course does balance out, but having the option would be great. As a LFF skier, I'm pretty sure I would choose to run it opposite. Starting the whole process with an off-side lean gives me more of a chance for getting out of whack early than starting with an on-side lean. At least that's my perception.

• Supporting Member

@wilecoyote While it's in no way a significant sample size (not even close), I grew up with 4 boys who were skiers (2 cousins, 1 brother, 1 me). In those 4 alone we had every possible combination of handedness and foot foward. (And, of course, there are 4 such possibilities, so we exactly covered them.)

I have personally never seen a connection between handedness and foot foward, although I am not aware of any statistics that have been collected on this.

Oh, and to directly answer your question: I am RFF and right-handed just like you.

@estrom My best guess is you're just focusing on the hard part. For me, it sure is a bummer to try to get that offside turn right at the beginning.

• Baller

What evidence/data exists to answer this ? World ranking of the top 3 skiers in the world over the last 25 years would be a good place to start. Can a computer/excel expert search this and get this data, please ?

My observations over many years is the top skiers(top3) are predominately RFF. My wild guess is greater than 65% of the top 3 in the rankings are RFF.

I believe that larger motors, speed control and new ski development may now be balancing the positive/negative.

I am LFF but right leg dominate (university level high jumper off my right leg), if I knew then what i know now I would ski RFF.

• Baller

@skier2788 Your points are accurate, but there is another way to look at it. Over years and years of running the course, a RFF "gets" to practice his offside (toeside) turn many more times than a LFF does the same. In nearly every pass a skier gets a shot at 1 ball. He may go down on the way to 2, or the way to 4, but this also equates to more practice on the offside turn for a RFF.

A ski buddy told me this theory once, and pointed out that he believes most RFF skiers are more symmetrical in the course (similar on and offside turning abilities) than a LFF who will more typically have a stronger onside than offside turn. The added exposure to his offside turn allows a RFF skier to be better at them.

I've bought into this theory, and as a result when practicing, as a LFF I try to treat 6 ball like any other buoy. I will finish the turn and head towards "7" ball, while ignoring the exit gates. Gives me one more chance to practice my offside turn. Many times, it's my best turn...Just my thoughts....

• Supporting Member

Oh man I LOVED the high jump. I wasn't THAT good at it (best ever 6'1") but boy did I enjoy doing that in HS and college (division III baby!). Also enjoyed triple jump (42'7.75") but didn't even try it until my sophomore year of college.

Congrats on doing 2 of the only sports that always end in failure!!

• Baller

Awesome posts boys!! I so much enjoy this site. Guess I will stick with RFF and not try and switch it up. Guess the only question now remains...how am I going to kick all your asses in may?

@wilecoyote. I am goofy and right handed.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan, I had assumed that most RH folk skied LFF and visa versa. @Brady, apparently we're far from rare. According to the poll we're only slightly outnumbered by the RH LFF crowd. In my case, I'm still learning, so it may change, but my strong side around the ball is 1,3,5 but my strong side across the wakes are normal.

The course should be symmetrical and we should be able to ski it one way or the other and aaaallll these looooooong theories about RFF or LFF would be just dust in the wind! :) What would you think about that? :):) If I had my own lake, I definitely would put up another set of buoys on the other side and voilà!

• Baller

Question - what's the most common way of testing which foot a beginner should put forward (assuming no skateboard, etc... experience to reference)? I know of standing with both feet together and falling forward to see what the natural reaction is as to which foot goes forward to catch the fall. Any others?

• Baller

@eddie_roberts_jr, I think if they can can lift both skis at the same time they're more suitable for jump.

Here's something to consider. Perhaps your relationship to which foot is forward compared to which hand is dominant lends you to a particular way to approach the course. It would be interesting to compare the styles of the top skiers to see if this holds any weight.