Imagine if "they" made a ski that made it so anyone could run 39 off....

skiray

Thought about this in the thread about Radar's future. Sure, we would all get one and it would be the greatest thing ever until we all showed up at the next tournament. Then it would suck.

Random thought - what about a "factory ride" division? I hate restrictor plate racing, but I would like to see a tournament of big dawns riding current year bone stock sticks with factory settings +/-.001". Do you think it would change anything? Do you think we will ever see a de-tuned pro division due to the lack of variety on the podium? Just a thought. My brain must be numb from disappointing super bowl commercials.

I actually think it is a great idea. You've started to witness this in Automobile Sports, sometimes the race are not as entertaining as they could be if one or 2 manufacturers just have a car above average...

Then they have go-kart races with all the formula1 champions and the exact same ride. I think they can tune it within a certain limit, which would be the same idea for the ski (move the binding, move the fin etc)...it would be really interesting to have a 3 day event, like day 1: get your gear and ride it for the forst time, start tuning it.

Day 2: start really hitting the course and see what it does.

Day 3: competition.

I'm sure there would be a lot of surprises! :)

Thanks @Horton.... The panda is funny.

For the record, for clarity, I'm not for a break through that puts everyone on the same level. I would rather continue struggling at 32 off. The Big Dawgs give me something to shoot for. Besides, there was a time when I said " if I ever run 22 I will be happy. "

Just trying to get real about what we really want out of the next big thing and wondering how to make the sport more interesting for spectators.

• Baller
The problem is no two skis are identical. The pros will rip on anything. I have seen a local pro skier ride numerous different skis in really cold conditions and it was hard to tell he was on a new ski and bindings with factory settings. Some of these were with no wetsuit when I was cold in my drysuit.

• Baller

@skiray - I think a "stock" ski is kind of like telling drivers they cannot adjust their seat in the car. Skiing more or less spec's the boats (approved towboats/props/speed controls), we spec the course dimensions, and rope configuration, we even spec/approve drivers.

I feel like it is reasonable to allow open slalom to have skiers riding skis that the general masses does not have yet, with crazy settings if they work because ultimately the ski is an unpowered component.

If everyone was running 39 off, and the record was 6 at 43 off and no 8' tall skier showed up to power down anything shorter, then the sport would probably have to look at increasing course width, or decreasing spacing downcourse so that skiers had to perform quicker.

I don't think increasing boat speed is too realistic, as energy goes up fast with velocity, and lake infrastructure is somewhat set in terms of set up and acceleration time for the boats. Ironically I think our sport can be brought to the masses better by decreasing course size, and decreasing rope lengths. As smaller waterways could be utilized to ski the course, meaning you could run down fairly narrow river waterways often located near cities.

Other ideas - Head to Head - TWO pass brackets. Similar to the current rules, two boats, skiers head to head, possibly double elimination instead of single, but if the second pass skipped from 32 to 38, and the skier put down 4 the score would be 4 at 38, next skier could try both pulls at 38, or could take a longer line pass as a warm up. But only two passes, if first skier gets 6 at 38 on second pass then the second skier could try for 1 at 39 first pull.

The idea would be to see more missed shortline passes and fewer 32s and 35s.

Or in the case of people like me, more people trying at 28 and 32, or higher boat speeds instead of missing 15 off's and 22 offs.

I laid up skis for Goode for two and a half years and I can tell you without a doubt that the skis the big dawgs were riding then were absolutely no different then the skis we were sending to you. We would literally pick one out of the production line and send it. True they dial their settings in but the skis are just like the ones you are riding. At least they were 6 years ago.

• Baller

One word...boring! This is the very reason I don't watch crap like Nascar. I want to see what a human can do with the latest and greatest technology out there...not what every joe blow can do with the same crap. Why watch top fuel dragsters when you can watch two pimpley teenagers in civic's?

The fact that ski regulations are so lax and it makes almost no difference is truly outstanding in my book. A guy with a $3000 slalom ski and the most advanced bindings can ski in an amateur event and get his butt whooped while someone like Jeff Rogers can ski on some ski that no one knows anything about with rubber boots and throw down with the big boys half his age.

The fact that I can progress little by little keeps me coming back for more. Hitting the "I win" button is awesome for a couple months and then it's boring and you quit.

• Baller
I don't have my Concept any more, but do have a Rocket. The first year of it, I think. I have a 66" Maherajah LaPoint hanging on the wall, too. Shortened the rope my first time ever on it...might mount up my powershells and try it some day. +/- 1991, and it was an old ski then. 1@22' off that day at Trophy... :)