Terry Winter

• Baller
Two things that I found helpful in this video are: 1) how open to the boat his hips are out of his offside turns, and 2) the timing of where he is looking. The camera is on his head, so it's easy to see when he shifts his focus to the approaching boat guides and when he shifts his focus to the approaching turn ball, etc.

• Baller
@OB in all likely he does 'start' his edge change at center or slightly before, one must be careful with the semantics of elaborating technique in skiing for educational purposes for the masses. The time between processing the movement mentally to physically causes obvious delay, that being said if one choses to mentally decide to change edges at center line the physical result of it would not be apparent till after the second wake, and this distance to process and achieve would vary on ones physical ability. For example, person 'A' may be able to 'edge change' in an 8' distance but person 'B' may be less capable and it would take him 12', this would require a different reference point to deem as 'starting the edge change'. To add to this is the line length, the wake at 15 off vs. 38 off is significantly different, therefore a blanket statement of changing edges after the second wake is misleading as the proximity of the skier is at a much wider distance at 15vs.38 off using the second wake as a reference point.

• Baller
Terry Winter - Great skiing! One thing that stuck out to me was how long he holds onto the handle. @6balls and @razorskier1 - the epitome of just enough angle and load without overskiing it. Wish I could copy that. Ah, that's what I'll be doing this summer. (attempting to)

• Baller_
Just enough load for him. How that is measured is up in the air. I suspect if you were behind the wheel of that boat, (slow vid) light is not what you would feel. He takes tons of angle out o the ball. But line control and the deeeeeep knee bend manages the speed off the second wake. For us mere mortals, we would be snapped back to the inside edge much sooner then we would want. He works very hard from the white water to the ball. Notice how off the the white water to the ball he keeps that outside shoulder away (as much as possible) from the line with both hands still on the handle. Most of us get twisted back to an uncountered position and have to make a much larger movement when the hand comes off the handle to get that countered position. The slow vid shows this well.

• Baller
@Wish -- exactly my point to @OB. What I consider "light on the line" is pretty damned heavy to some other skiers. I have yet to have someone tell me that I'm easy to drive. Now, I used to be hell to drive when I really got on it, so easier, yes, but nobody is going to mistake me for a G3 skier behind the boat. The best I can say is that when I'm skiing "right", my drivers tell me that I'm very symmetric and they know right where I am all the time, and that the load comes on and off the line gradually, rather than all at once. In any case, I'm sure that if you put a force gauge on the line I'd still be among the heaviest loading skiers, depsite the fact that to me it feels light and long (and it is, based on my power, size, etc). Different for every skier.

• Baller
In West Coast Slalom video they had a strain gauge on the line for one of the segments. Terry Winter 700lbs plus of load right off the ball (within one ski length inside the buoy line.) If he did not keep the ski moving so well, I wonder how high it would be? Could he manage that awesome power if he wasn't moving with it?

• Baller
@OB - you seem to be implying that some people think Terry does an "early" edge change, but that you think he does it later. The edge change, especially with Terry, is such a dynamic thing. In the 1/4 speed video check out where his feet/ski first start to advance from behind the line to ahead. This advancing, which is really the "start" of the edge change begins in the first white water, really is obvious through the first trough, and is completed when his ski sets onto its new edge in the second white water. So where his edge change is occurring is really in the entire zone from first white water to second white water. It's not something that happens in one spot. He doesn't set a static position out of the turn, hold it to one spot, then flip to the other edge. Really from hook up to release is one dynamic move. Pretty much centered around the centerline of the course. No?

• Baller
It's interesting that Terry's time on the Goode was short lived. Does anyone know the story there? Did HO give him a better deal or is the S3 happier than a Goode with Terry's use-every-inch-of-the-ski turning style?

• Baller

@ScarletArrow Probably with the GoPro Head Strap Mount

http://cbcdn1.gopro.com/uploads/product_photo/image/16094/HeadStrapMount_PDP_683x426.jpg

I have one of these. I want to point the camera down enough so I can see my eyes. I want to see how much of a deer-in-the-headlights look I have while skiing ...