Ski and binding recommendations for an intermediate middle aged fellow

escmanaze

• Baller

Hi Guys,

Here's my situation. I'm still skiing on my ski from High School. I'm starting to decide that might be a bad idea. I'm 31 years old, 185 pounds. I make the pass fairly consistently at full line length, 28 mph, less consistently at 30 mph, and rarely at 32 mph. I would love to get myself up to 34 mph, and then start shortening the line from there.

Also, on bindings - should I get something like the GOODE power shell with the power plate so that both feet come off at the same time? Or is the HO EXO system better? Or should I stick with bindings that stay on?

• Baller

At 38 I must be near the end!

What @estrom said...bindings are such a personal decision that it's hard to point you in any one direction.

Everyone has their own idea about whether or not you should stay in or out. I prefer to come out.

What do you have now?

Considering your level, I would go with something less sophisticated than the PS or EXO's.

I would look at the HO Attack (but not the Apex), Wiley's or the Radar Vector's.

If your ski is 12+ years old, you might want to look at upgrading that first.

I had a couple of interviews with Radar and HO for www.weekendwaterskier.com talking about the skis they recommend for various skiers. Look for episode 5 with Chris Rossi from Radar, episode 6 with Marcus Brown from HO, and the upcoming episode 9 with Chris Sullivan, product manager for Radar.

From those interviews, and with the information that you've said, I would say that the Radar Theory or the HO Triumph would probably fit well for you.

I ride a Radar Theory at a similar level of proficiency. It's been a great ski for me for a few years.

• Baller

Oh gee whiz, how did I forget to go over my current setup. I'm currently on a 99 KD 6500. It came with 2 "comp" bindings - one of them has died and was replaced about 7 years ago with an HO animal binding. That one is now falling apart as well and I'm thinking I'm better off buying a new ski instead of a new binding or two for this current ski.

Also, it is a 67" ski. When I bought it, I was 150 pounds and only did freeskiing and did it at about 32 mph, sometimes up to 34 mph. Nowadays, with my extra 35 pounds on my, I do sometimes have to slow the boat down to 28, just to make it through on a full line length, and it feels like the 67" is way too small for 28 mph and 185 pounds. So amid all this, with recommendations of ski, I wouldn't mind recommendations of size of ski as well.

• Baller
Look at ski-it-again.com see what you can find. At your weight and speeds you could go with a 68". I'm using D3 t-factor boots and like them, they're similar to HO attack but I fell like I have more a feel with the ski. Everyone I know that uses the Strada boots loves them. I think something like a vector boot would be good as well. As for as skies I'm thinking you would benefit from a ski upgrade. Maybe a Senate C or some of the skis suggested above. I don't think its bad to go with a top end ski if you can find a good deal, just go a size bigger like a 68".

• Baller

Hey Gregy,

Thanks for the reminder about ski-it-again. Maybe go over there and save some dough :) The first ski to catch my eye was this one, but I'm pretty sure that most people would say that a 69 is too big for my 185 even at 28 mph. (How do you know that, I can't find any kind of sizing charts or anything on any of the manufacturer's websites). Anyway, I know all too well the negative effects of skiing on a ski that is to small. When I get down to 28 on my current 67" ski, it is really dragging like cray through the water. What, though, would be the downside to a ski that is too big?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=21972

• Baller

That ski would be ok at 28mph but hinder your progress in my opinion.

One of my skiing partners was at the same point about 2 years ago. He was on a KD think 7000. He bought a used strada and immediately improved. He had skied for years but rarely been in a course. Last summer he was running into 22off and was able to consistently run 28off 30mph and some 32mph. I think you'll be wondering why you didn't upgrade sooner.

• Baller

@DanE The Apex boots are just the Attack with toe caps on them.

The toe cap smashes the top foot pad and crimps your toes in the worst way.

I like the design of the Attack, but I feel like HO took a shortcut with the Apex.

If they wanted a closed toe binding that would compete w/ the Strada w/ the benefit of not needing a liner, they needed to do more than just slap a piece of plastic on the end.

Just my opinion from trying a pair at Performance.

• Baller

I think the 69" triumph would hinder your performance above 30 mph. Triumph is already a wide ski so its going to ride large. On the Strada or similar top end ski, I'm saying if you found a good deal one I think you would be fine on it. You have a lot of experience skiing. Not like your a beginner to the sport. A proper sized Triumph or similar ski would probably work well for you.

Sounds like you could benefit from some sound coaching. My friend was the similar, he was really comfortable on a slalom but had never been given any instruction. He was on the course with the KD for one season. He got the strada which had only been ridden only a few times for $550 shipped. Within a couple of sets he skiing much more consistent than with the KD. We free ski in public lakes as well as the private course and he likes it there as well.

Vice, senate, fusion, prophecy, s2, coefficient lots of good skis out there that should be an upgrade from what you have. You might ask members at the local club you referred to. Might find some really good deals there and could possibly ski before you buy.

• Baller

Well, it's done now. I purchased a 69" Senate with double Vector boot. I got the featherframe boots, hopefully that wasn't a mistake, I didn't really ask about that.

I suppose this will be the ski that is, if anything too big. If I lose weight, and/or really start ripping at 34 mph, then that will be the perfect excuse for me to reward myself with a smaller, more aggressive ski. Until then, this should keep my fat butt on top of the water even if I need to slow myself way down just to make it through the course.

You are correct Gregy, I definitely could benefit from some sound coaching. The only training I currently have that is at all close to "official" is watching the Wade Cox CDX-1 video from a decade ago and reading the occasional article in Waterski magazine. Lots of room for improvement there.

Thanks everybody for your input. I might just throw on the double wetsuit and give it a try real soon here when the water is still super cold.