Five days to get in shape

kevintcom

I have five days to transform from winter couch potato to water skiing shape for a clinic I'm attending on a vacation. I konw that I won't be at PB level, but what recommendations do you have so that I will at least be able to walk and use my arms after the clinic? I'd rather hurt now than then.

• Baller

Get your hands in shape by doing slalom handle pulls on a bridle wrapped around a tree or pole outside. 2 sets of Pull-ups to failure each side once in morning and again at supper time. These will help hands and arms. Bring hand-savers and duct tape with you to the clinic.

With very little time in front of you the only other thing I'd do is do whatever you can to do a whole body fitness prep, especially exercises that address core strength, (it's going to be more like preparedness for the shock and stress of slalom)

And by all means, LET GO on any fall or even bobble going OTF !

Main strategy? Injury prevention!

• Baller
One thing you can do is eat healthy and be well hydrated. Do not try to hit the gym for 2 hours a day, as in 5 days the only thing you will get is either get there aching and w/o any strength, or injured...

• Baller
@dtm8119 I use duct tape torn into strips that I wrap over the top of my finger and run all the way down to my wrist. This method usually stays in place the best and has protected my hands which tear easily at ski schools.

• Baller
I would sugest not working out at all not even your grip strength.. You have already kinda screwed yourself over a little, but stretching, hydrating (starting today), mental focus. You dont want your body to be already tired by the time you get there. I have personally never had to tape my hands, but um you office folk may need to..

• Baller_

Duct tape sticks best but feels slippery; athletic tape works fine and is less slippery feeling. To me, duct tape feels slippery even when under Kevlar glove liners and gloves. As @chef, suggests, take a strip starting two inches below your wrist, go across the palm, around a finger and back to two inches below the wrist. Do this for the index, middle and ring fingers. Then tape around the flat part of the palm a few wraps, and then around the wrist to hold everything in place. Try to avoid wrinkles in the tape as wrinkles cause pressure points. You might also bring two handles if you have them, one thin diameter and one thicker, allowing you to redistribute the load on your hands in in your fore arms.

As for getting in shape in five days, lets say you are getting a late start and leave it at that. For your window of time, I would go with @GaryWilkinson 's advice. Whatever you do, avoid over doing it.

Have fun!

Lpskier

I'd suggest kettle bells and core strength. If you know anyone who has P90X, try to borrow the Core Synergistics DVD and do that two or three days. If you have kettle bells (and know how to use them) I'd suggest a workout routine with light weights and high reps.

Be sure to take the day off, or do a light workout before your first ski.

Check over your gear.

I figured that I was a little late - okay, a lot late - but I've just lacked the discipline to get myself up and exercising in the morning regularly. I hope that I survive this experience and it motivates me to get back on a regular exercise plan until I can get out to my lake regularly.

I also appreciate the advice on wrapping the palms. I'll give that a try. I am usually in colder, fresh water so my hands are typically okay, but I understand that warmer salt water tends to increase skin tears.

• Baller

@kevintcom - definitely take the duct tape down with you and use that - ESPECIALLY with salt water! I used in when in Acapulco and I didn't get a blister at all.

Along with tying a rope to a tree and getting a lean (with proper knee bend) I would also do pull ups and pushups. You want to work your neck muscles for the start/stop of slaloming in a course.

Lastly - you REALLY ought to get a foam roller. It is the next best thing to a deep tissue massage that you'll ever get and it will allow your muscles to relax after working out hard.

Pretty much a crash course - but it'll be better than nothing! Enjoy your ski vacation!

As far as any workout activity in preparation for anything strenuous in 5 days, ...You are screwed!

There is NOTHING that you can do (w/o wise) constructively and still recuperate before your trip...

Your best bet is to try be disciplined enough to:

Stretch lightly EVERYDAY til then.

Hang from a ski Handle to stretch your upper Back& Arms and to remind your grip muscles of what is coming.

Do some ez Lean drills

Ski the Course Mentally, (visually)

Get exellent Rest

Eat right

Ask God for forgiveness

At the School:

Warm up and stretch Lightly

Only Ski 4 passes on your 1st set. (probably ought to stay at 4 passes Max for the entire trip...)

Cool down with some light calisthenics and light stretching

ICE your typical problem areas immediately for 20 min's

Drink lots of water No alchohol (it's a diuretic and it an imflammatory agent)

Eat well, stretch LIghtly before Bed

At Home:

Go Home and when you recover enough to be able to sit on the Toilet and wipe again...

Write:

I WILL NEVER BE THAT FRICKEN LAZY AGAIN! 50 times and post it here on BOS!!!

As far as any workout activity in preparation for anything strenuous in 5 days, ...You are screwed!

There is NOTHING that you can do (w/o wise) constructively and still recuperate before your trip...

Your best bet is to try be disciplined enough to:

Stretch lightly EVERYDAY til then.

Hang from a ski Handle to stretch your upper Back& Arms and to remind your grip muscles of what is coming.

Do some ez Lean drills

Ski the Course Mentally, (visually)

Get exellent Rest

Eat right

Ask God for forgiveness

At the School:

Warm up and stretch Lightly

Only Ski 4 passes on your 1st set. (probably ought to stay at 4 passes Max for the entire trip...)

Cool down with some light calisthenics and light stretching

ICE your typical problem areas immediately for 20 min's

Drink lots of water No alchohol (it's a diuretic and it an imflammatory agent)

Eat well, stretch LIghtly before Bed

At Home:

Go Home and when you recover enough to be able to sit on the Toilet and wipe again...

Write:

I WILL NEVER BE THAT FRICKEN LAZY AGAIN! 50 times and post it here on BOS!!!

• Baller
I would work your traps, biceps and forearms today and maybe throw in a couple sets of light squats. It is usually the first soreness that is the worst for me, and it helps to get it out of the way if possibe. I would think 5 days would be enough recovery time to be back to normal before skiing.

• Baller
I would work your traps, biceps and forearms today and maybe throw in a couple sets of light squats. It is usually the first soreness that is the worst for me, and it helps to get it out of the way if possibe. I would think 5 days would be enough recovery time to be back to normal before skiing.

• Baller

Here's a screenshot of what I've been doing since Jan. 12th. It has paid off tremendously. I've lost 6lbs while gaining muscle at the same time. (that's a lot for me considering I started at 154lbs)

I know you've only got 5 days to workout, but maybe this can be a long-term fix :)

• Baller

Here's a screenshot of what I've been doing since Jan. 12th. It has paid off tremendously. I've lost 6lbs while gaining muscle at the same time. (that's a lot for me considering I started at 154lbs)

I know you've only got 5 days to workout, but maybe this can be a long-term fix :)

• Baller
Just got back from Gordon's in Mexico. I spent 5 days per week in the gym since Nov 1to get ready. I skied two sets per day. By the third day/ sixth set I had to take a day off (Hang over may have had something to do with it) then went back to two sets for days 5 and 6. This sport is HARD on your body. Stay away from alcohol.

• Baller
Just got back from Gordon's in Mexico. I spent 5 days per week in the gym since Nov 1to get ready. I skied two sets per day. By the third day/ sixth set I had to take a day off (Hang over may have had something to do with it) then went back to two sets for days 5 and 6. This sport is HARD on your body. Stay away from alcohol.

No more than one reasonable set per day the first week. A day of rest after 3 days or so. Eat healthy, no alcohol, aspirin before bedtime. Stretch before and after. Warmup in the gym but no crazy workout. If you have a studio nearby do Bikram yoga after 2 days. Repeat in 2 days again. Works wonders for my body. I'm 51 and my scores are still going up. Depending on your age and health, avoid skiing in very cold conditions.....

• Baller

You have 4 days left, so leave immediately and start jogging to wherever your clinic is and don't stop. Have someone pick you up in 4 days on the way there. You could combine this with Horton's suggestion and wear a camelback filled with Kilo Kai. That might actually work as a pain killer.

• Baller

I spent a 1/2 day a couple weeks back with Trent and it damn near killed me for the whole next week.

But then again that's what happens to Canadians who don't get to ski year round! :(

But we go hard when we get the chance to get wet! :)

• Baller
I still maintain that you are in trouble. I worked out hard all winter. Did a half a set last Friday and then 2 full sets on Tuesday of this week. I am laying in bed this morning barely able to move. My arms are on fire and every muscle in my body aches. So, I reiterate, bring lots of anti inflamatories and lots of tylenol, cause you are going to need it. btw, I love how I am feeling right now. reminds me of 2 days after a football game!! I want more!!!