Chris Parrish & Andy Mapple - Side by Side Comparison

Horton

• Baller
Great video editing. Really cool to see how different people can use the same ski and use it almost completely differently. I tried to watch Chris so many times and every time Andy lags coming out of the ball and then rockets to the other side and it immediately grabs my attention.

• Baller
@Horton, great video I noticed that both Andy and Chris execute what I call "the move" coming into the wakes on both sides of the course. The ski seems to jet out in from of them from leaning edge to turning edge very quickly (the edge change) and their arms go from straight out to bent at the inside elbow and close to the vest into the preturn prior to the extension of the handle arm. Most,if not all of the elite skiers have this move down. Some people call it the hitch. My question is how do you practice this move? What are they actually doing to execute this move? Does that make sense to you?

• Baller
@Drago It appears like they are using maybe back arm pressure on the handle to advance the ski in front of them and onto the inside edge. From the looks of your picture you have this down. How would you explain it to a person trying to imitate it at the shorter line lengths?

• Baller
If I could explain it better than Nick Parsons in this months WaterSki, I would. I consider that "trailing" arm (left through gate). Just keep the pressure even on both hands. To explain my reaction comment: most of the edge change, IMHO, is natural physics if you did the work into the wake. Generally, trailing arm pressure won't show benefits if you are pulling past the 2nd wake. It's all so connected....

• Baller

Drago is correct in the fact that first you create the energy, and then you release it.

Think of a jogger out running...First you land on your heel, then you roll your foot forward, and push off with your toes...For me that relates to hooking up in a stacked position, then starting with rear arm pressure, (L going R), shift COM forward towards the front foot. This builds pressure and my front knee bends..Now without moving the upper body, relax the arms slightly and let the knees come up and through to the other edge.

The key is upper and lower body separation...Allowing the lower body to swing free to the other side, while keeping the upper body still...The common mistake is to initiate the edge change by "Pulling in Hard" on the rope, and pulling your body up and to the inside.

• Baller
@Drago Drago the article(April 2013 Waterski pages 52/53) by Nick Parsons is an excellent explanation, looking at the pictures you see that the left elbow stays pinned to his vest throughout the edge change going from straight in the pull to bent at the completion of the edge change....upper body remains still. @Ed_johnson Yes many skiers, myself included, actually do pull up on the handle(the hitch) to force the edge change rather than let it naturally occur. I think what Andy and Chris do(and many other elite skiers) at the edge change is key to running shortline slalom.