How many different ski brand manufactures have you had inserts pull out?

skibug

• Baller

This is my second Connelly ski (2008 F1 and 2012 Prophecy) that has had inserts pull out or spin freely when tightening down the binding plate; one was within the first month and this newer one within the first 8 months. I can't recall this issue with any of my D3's. Connelly sent me some "press in - pound in" inserts which I knew right away weren't going to work; but, I tried anyway....no luck...they spun. I upsized the insert to a brass screw in type insert with a larger recieving thread (10-24 UNC); this was my original plan anyway. Problem is, if these pull out I can't upsize again; I will have to fill the holes (JB Weld or Marine Tex) and start over.

Any others with this issue? Just trying to find out how common; and, if it runs through all manufactures.

• Administrators
You have to realize that inside the ski is a nylon block and the brass or stainless insert is tapped into it. I think the reason why I never have a problem with inserts is that I NEVER use a screw gun and NEVER crank the screws down tight.

• Administrators

I had a pic of a nylon block and insert I took at Radar but I can not find it. Let me just say this if you expect a ski to weigh 2.5 lbs (or what ever they weigh) you should not expect the inserts to be as durable as steel in concert. Take care of your inserts and they will last forever.

One more thing. I change out screws any time I see corrosion. Find your local "nut and bolt" store and buy a 100 stainless ski screws. That will last you a life time and is worth every penny.

• Baller
I never use a screw gun; always hand tighten and loosen. I have never had corrosion; I have only ever used SST. The Connelly sure doesn't look like it has a nylon block where the inserts go. It looks like the torn edges of fiberglass and carbon.

• Baller

1, in two ways...

A) Several times on a black/orange ski with their "standard inserts" (i.e. screwing directly into the ski, and "rebuilding the insert" with epoxy as needed)

B) Once afterwards, after installing SS inserts to that same ski.

• Baller

Inserts aren't magic. They can fail in many ways. Corrosion is a major factor in most of my failures. Bad screws also contribute - especially when corroded. Backing out the insert and JB welding a new insert is an easy and reliable fix. Local hardware stores carry oversized inserts which should fix things even when the hole is quite damaged. JB weld mixed with fiberglass also makes a reasonably durable repair. However you fix it, use antiseize to minimize further damage. Good luck but it's not a crucial problem. My inserts pull out frequently. I just fix them. The college kids are always bringing me messed up inserts. I've always been able to fix them.

Eric

• Baller

2003ish KD CR7 and 2006 Connelly F1. I don't recall seeing any evidence of a Nylon block in either ski.

JB Weld, re-drilling, and putting fresh inserts is helpful. Another trick is cutting the top off 6-8 zip ties and stuffing in the insert hole and setting the insert in the middle of this bundle. Add some JB Weld to the bundle and you have a rock solid fix. I know a few jumpers who do this to their binding screws as a way of keeping them from vibrating loose.

• Baller

@h2oski1326 Be careful using zip ties. Zip ties are nylon or polyethylene and neither plastic sticks well to epoxy. They work ok for sheet metal screws as an emergency repair but mix something else (fiberglass, steel wool or toothpicks) which will bond with the epoxy to permanently reinstall an insert. Those zip ties are a pain to clean out when you want to fix it right.

Eric

• Baller
1 insert out of the 10 installed in a single ski. I bought the ski used and it was already loose. All of the other inserts are solid and working. I don't over-tighten. Just gently check for snug before each set. No need to crank down what is already secure....

• Baller

Horton

Hit it on the head on a demo weekend I may set up 10 to 15 skis changing out binding I will use a screw gun to take out the screws after loosening them also for the people that grab the tip of the ski and pull it off after there set thats a no no and don't forget the binding string you tighten before your ride take the time reach down and loosen it this will also help the insert and the plate last longer

Only my 2 cents