Spiral Ankle Fracture - Question for Docs, PT, etc.

skibug

• Baller
My wife suffered a spiral ankle fracture of the fibula this morning, yes skiing. It was a one in, one out situation and the ski torqued her front leg. Here is an image. Wonder what to expect, going to see our ortho tomorrow. Curious about when surgery is needed vs just casting.

• Baller
Hard shell with RTP...it wasn't a boot issue; other than one foot in, one foot out. The issues was truly preventable as the fall occured in a wake crossing with a little forward body position. Her rear foot slipped out as she came through the wakes a little forward. If she had a strap on the RTP or a double boot; it would have been a non issue.

• Baller

Looks like she got a piece of the posterior tibia as well. Could you post the full series as I'm assuming that's not the only view. If it is the ortho will take more x-rays.

Bottom line sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Listen to your ortho, and diligently rehab it.

• Baller
@6balls, She had a previous injury to this ankle from when she fell off the roof of her house when she was 12 years old. That tibia might have been that way for a long time....not sure. Extra shots.

• Baller

Having just broken my ankle one month ago to the day, I'd say she's probably looking at a plate and screws. I've been led to believe that won't necessarily create a considerably longer healing process than otherwise.

My brake didn't require surgery and I've been walking for a little over a week now and I started riding a bike yesterday. The first three weeks are brutal, but then the bone starts to fuse and you can feel the ankle improve every day. My doc says my summer will begin in about 1.5 weeks.

Be a mensch and pamper her for the next three weeks. Getting up and down too often won't help her ankle heal, and if she's anything like me, she'll be pretty bummed and won't want to have to remind you she has a broken ankle. EVERYTHING is a pain in the arse when you have a broken ankle.

Here are some things I did that made me feel proactive and not like I was just sitting around helplessly.

1.) Maintained a gluten free/dairy free diet.

2.) Quit drinking alcohol.

3.) Avoided ibuprofen (impairs the healing process).

4.) Elevated my foot 24-7 for a couple of weeks - until swelling was mostly gone.

5.) Stayed off my foot entirely (planted on couch) for a solid three weeks.

6.) Rubbed arnica oil on my lower leg twice a day.

7.) Took calcium, D3, Potassium, Turmeric, and Fish Oil Supplements in massive quantities.

8.) Slept by myself - even this was painful!

I hope your wife has a very speedy recovery. I truly feel for her.

• Baller
Thanks to all for the well wishes and information; we both appreciate it. We will just have to schedule some visits to destinations furhter South in the later Fall or Winter months to extend the season for her, oh yeh...and me.

• Baller

Often with a spiral down low like that there will be something that gave up towards the knee as well. Nothing big just a little something, did they look up high at all? If so often nothing is done for that fx just down low.

Side note whoever BRH is that took those films should be ashamed.

• Baller
When I broke my ankle, the x-ray technician was the emergency room doctor. The technician at the orthopedic office was much better (and cuter), but it wasn't pleasant having someone manipulating a broken limb in unnatural poses.

• Baller
I had a similiar break from a hockey stop (rotated my left foot while stopping). It took me nine months to heal where I could run slowly and two seasons to ski without pain during an edge change. Follow @jipster43 advice (I did most of what he said except no booze) and you will heal quickly. I had a plate and five screws originally, then the doc pulled the long screw out that held the tib and fib together so I could have a full range of motion. Sorry about your injury.

"Do Better..."