'13 prophecy vs '12 gatortest

gator1

got the '13 today, set up for gatormod stealths. Took it and the '12 down to work, measured fins on $120k worth of optical comparator. Pretty damn close to factory reco.

Took them both out to the lake. Skied into 38 on the '12. Popped the stealths off the '12 onto the '13. Ran two passes @ 28. Then back to the dock to let brain recalibrate. Tim took his set, Jim took his.

My next set I skied the '13 down into 38 off. Tim decided to try it, (he's on the orange Radar on Fluids) He ran it down into 38. Kinda makes me sick he can switch ski and binding that easy and fast, but my cross to bear. But, he's the second human to ever ski gatormod so kind of cool.

So: The 13 is better.

It has a higher natural frequency. I'd guess 30% or more. It snarls while the 12 growls. It hits the wakes with a ping, while the 12 is more of a thud. As a result, it is harsher but steadier. On the turn in, first thought is "oh my, this is jerky and unpleasant". But then, its not. It turns sharper, but doesn't slow down as it turns. Again, more harsh, but less midturn fore and aft correction required. For awhile back in the early 2000s I got to drive a mercedes very fast on the autobahn. Up over 150 it seemed to feel like the front tire was folding under the body when you put any amount of g force on it, It would "fold under', delay a tiny bit, then turn. Lately I've been driving a vette very fast. It doesn't fold under. Just drops it's shoulder and carves no matter how fast. Its more harsh then the merc, and if I had to outrun a trooper I'd pick the vette. If I had to run the autobahn all day I'd pick the merc. That's the best I can describe the turn in and wake cross difference between the two skis. You don't have to correct after the delay. Because there is no delay.

On my early passes on the 13, I'd get stood up because of the instant turn in and think "ah crap, missed that pass", wrestle it back across course, look up and find that I was early. It seemed to keep grabbing angle no matter how bad I was dragging my butt, turtling up over the handle, or stiff legging the wake. Weird, but super cool. I'm sure I'll figure out how to defeat that advantage soon, but for now, its great.

The '12 hunts a little coming into your turn-in to the gates. The 13 does not. It just goes straight, and then seems to roll in smoothly and progressively. Like the difference between a Gecko and a 196. The gecko always seemed to me like it was balanced on a knife edge when it was tracking straight, then seemed to drop off to the side under load, while the 196 seems planted with lift to spare on either side. Also, as you are switching edges, it seems to roll smoother, more analog then digital. Quite comforting for an oldster like myself. The 12 was always a bit of a surprise when it decided to switch.

Interestingly, Tim and I were pretty unanimous in our opinions on this ski. Anybody want to buy a '12 prophecy?

Wait. What?! Troopers have RADIOS NOW? Holy moly, I bet soon they'll be using them to coordinate their response to desperados who exceed the speed limit on public highways. If I meet any guys who do stuff like that I'll be sure to let them know of this.