What are you smoking?

jcamp

• Baller

I've been watching used boats for awhile, hoping to buy one in the not-too-distant future. I've noticed a lot of crazy prices and have always wanted to start a thread where people could post and discuss some of the more insane prices some people ask for.

I've been too lazy to get around to it ... until this boat came along and inspired me: http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=23874

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

Mentho...oh...here is the way I imagine these things going:

Wife: Sell the boat

Husband: No

Wife: I am wearing flannel PJs to bed for the rest of our marriage

Husband: Fine, I will try to sell the boat

Sign: 1984 Bayliner for sale: $19,000 or best offer

• Haha 1

• Baller

That is a completely rebuilt boat and looks very nice from the few pictures I saw.

My guess is the owner spent 100's of hours working on it, kind of wants to sell it, but has a panic attack every time he thinks about it pulling out of the driveway.

As @kmenard suggested, wife in sweatpants not helping...

• Baller_
First thing my dad was told from a restorations guy when he was looking for parts to restore his 1964 Glastron was; "You do realize you will never get your money back in resale and it has to be a labor of love". Good thing was he knew this. Obviously this guy does not know this. At all.

• Baller
1984 Bayliner for sale: $19,000 may not be that bad of a deal if its a YACHT! Other then that people will pay for the next big thing and it may be tough to find someone that appreciates a restoration.

• Baller
I sold an original 89 4 years ago for 9.5k then the guy paid another 9k to ship it to AUS. The wakeboarders like these hulls (my body hurts tinkling about it) I really don't think 11-13k would be a stretch if the boat was cherry. You can't negotiate up!

• Baller
Just my .02, being a former boat dealer for 20 years, it's a supply and demand dilemma. With production numbers down so low the last 6 years, new prices going up so high, it's put a huge demand for good used boats. Definitely a sellers market!

• Baller

@eleeski I will include the covers. Lots and lots of flannel, no sexy bimini for her--although, before I purchased her, she would always wear the biminis....looked so damn good! :)

@AB Eventually?!?!?!?

• Baller
That would not necessarily be a good for any of us here, but I see lots of non tournament skiers in old Ski Nautiques. It is a perfect boat for someone just getting into skiing and boating. Tell me where you can find a brand new runabout nicer than that for $15,000. You would spend $25k or more on a brand new I/O or outboard and still not have as good a boat.

• Baller
Just my .02, being a former boat dealer for 20 years, it's a supply and demand dilemma. With production numbers down so low the last 6 years, new prices going up so high, it's put a huge demand for good used boats. Definitely a sellers market!

Definitely a sellers market right now? In this economy? I don't think so... That's why so many overpriced boats continue to go unsold, eh? There is definitely demand for good used boats, but only a fool would pay more than fair market value. And market value is still down IMO.

• Baller

@Ed - The listed boat is an odd case - this is an instance where it does seem like that boat could fetch that type of money, as it does seem to have had all the problem spots addressed. Shop for the same with unknown stringers, 800 hours and unknown compression and you could easily end up spending 15K+ getting to that condition.

The real story seems to be why are people restoring these boats instead of buying the 15K late 90's hulls?

• Baller
Just for clarification, my comment was a broad generalization, not specific to that particular boat. Agreed, certain models that have either been completely redone or are in great shape to begin with (89 thru 93 MC 190's come to mind) hold their value and are worth more. Still I see a LOT of boats with prices on them that do indeed make me wonder what they've been smoking.

• Baller
The 2001 hull has been popular for boarding primarily due to price, not that it's necessarilly a sought after hull. One could weight it down and get a decent sized wake for a DD, and keep at or under $10k. It's just the best a boarder could get for the money. Now at $12k obo, he's getting closer. I personally think he won't get 5 digits for it.

• Baller
I've upgraded to one with push-button electronic ignition and drive by wire. I got tired of having to put a little fuel in her carb to get her started when I wanted to take a ride. Wait... what are we talking about again?

• Baller
There's an '06 196SE for $32,500 just listed in SIA. Maybe it's just me, since I paid less than that for my '06 brand new, but I think that qualifies for this thread title. Of course, anything is worth what someone will pay.

• Baller

@swc5150,

Actually, the 2001 hull is actually desired by boarders for its wake characteristics. It is fairly narrow, so doesn't take as much weight to sink it down, and the wake is nice and peaky. Biggest drawback for a wake boat is the interior space.

It's the #1 rated budget wake boat definitely for the wake.

• Baller

@bbirlew

Agreed, and you hit the nail on the head...the #1 rated budget boat. It provides the best board wake for the money, but when money isn't a factor, no boarder is really going with a 2001. That's all I meant with my comment.