Malibu Open Webcast

Kelvin

• Baller_
What's crazy is Nates 41s look like there is 0 struggle to them. All the other guys, who CAN run it, make it look like a battle royal most of the time. The others must be going crazy seeing him do this over and over.

• Baller
@Wish JT, CP, & Will are the other guys complete a 10.25m pass this year. That's crazy good skiing no matter how they look. Nate's performance today was insane. He skied 9 buoys above the cut line, that had 5 great skiers stacked up at 4 ball 10.75m.

• Baller

I just want to say, the webcast & technology are solid.

What I like about this web cast:

1. works on my computers
  2. works on my android phone
  3. works on my family's iPad and iOS devices
  4. the stream quality adjusts based upon the device's connection speed (a good thing)
  5. the user has the option to manually adjust the stream quality
  6. the music is not so darn loud
  7. the replays immediately after each pass/jump are excellent
  8. the overlay is small yet informative
  9. the archived videos are readily available
  10. Tadd and Dano are doing a great job, engaging, informative, not too much talking, but very little dead air, not too much yelling into the mics
  11. this site seems have a fast upload feed for the internet

Opportunities for improvement (just some small things...):

1. during off-air / rain delay times, it was not clear that the live video was offline. People clicked on the archived videos thinking they were live. Archived videos need to have an overlay stating this somehow ("not live feed", "archived video", etc.) Or, the stream page needs to have a simple text or graphic at the top that says, "off line at the moment".
  2. the microphones for the announcers need to have a compressor or automatic gain processor channel on each mic set to heavily compress the dynamics and boost the gain. For broadcast audio like this, you want to keep the volume as constant as possible. By setting up a compressor on each mic, you can make the quieter parts louder and the loud parts quieter. Thus, the intensity of screaming comes through without the distortion (assuming the mics can handle the sound pressure levels (SPLs) of the announcers' voices. Announcers will get exited during exciting parts. Do what you can to ensure that their voices are still clear during these times.

So just a couple of things that would put this webcast over the top!

• Baller
Someone once said that no ever told him 41 was hard. He just seems like he expects to run it. It looks to me he keeps proper body form where others at 41 start getting in scramble mode bending at the waist, squaring off to boat etc.