Any Helmet Recommendations For Slalom

Billbert

• Baller

I took a nasty fall this spring. Came out the front, tumbled and my face found the tip of the ski. Long story short, 19 days in hospital, 2 separate surgeries, and 7 titanium plates were needed to put my face back together. My season is pretty much done for the year. Assuming my wife will let me get behind the boat again I need to find a helmet suitable to protect against this kind of injury.

I would like some kind of full faced helmet as an open faced would have done little to protect against this injury. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

• Baller
Performance Ski and Surf sell a really nice Helmet for jumpers and other water sports activities. I race dirt bikes, and actually considered wearing one of these racing dirt bikes. It's light, full face, Awesome. I think they are made by Bell.

• Baller

I'm with @gregy, I've been looking for a new jump lid and have been looking into some Kayak helmets there is one made by NRS/WSRI that looks promising from the internet photos (I haven't found one in person yet). I have also looked into LAX helmets with a full face mask, none of them intrigued me in terms of a jump helmet, but I think it would work for slalom.

As a downhill mountain biker, I have LOTS of experience with mountain bike/BMX full face helmets (i.e. Bell, Pro-Tec, etc.). Generally unless you buy the more expensive models, not all the pads are removable and they will get funky with if they are not aired out real well. Also, they are getting thicker. My most recent MTB helmet is about as thick as a motorcycle helmet.

• Baller
Thanks guys all intriguing ideas. I appreciate the input and I may have to look into the LAX helmets closer. I have considered kayaking and BMX helmets but the lacrosse lid is a new idea to me. Thanks again!

• Baller

Thanks All for the help. I found the solution. LAX Helmet and a motocross neck brace (wouldn't ride without one, won't ski in a lid without one).

A little strange coming out of the water the first few times as the brace limits how close I can put my chin to my chest but after a couple of outs I don't even know this stuff is on. Feels good to ski again.....surfing was starting to get old.

http://gear.insidelacrosse.com/sites/default/files/imagesimages/outlaws_white_bg.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0108/5372/products/brace-blk2_1024x1024.jpg?142

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

• Baller

Could get a football helmet with face mask, cut a bunch of holes in the back to lighten it and allow for water to pass through. Could use a quarterback face shield without all the grill work.

I think the fuller face shield above might restrict the quick glimpses you get at the buoys.

• Baller

My biggest concern about wearing a helmet is my neck. That's the reason behind the neck brace...in conjunction with a helmet they are know to provide good protection for the neck. The Atlas brace is a nice design, fairly light and the padding does not absorb water.

The Cascade R helmet is actually a pretty good fit for me. Its lighter, fits better than the kayak helmets I found and offers full chin and face protection. I looked at the Gath helmets but really wanted more protection than the visor offered. The sight lines of the Cascade helmet are exceptional, the liner does not absorb water and after a couple of sets I really was hard pressed to know it was there.

The solution may not be for everyone but I for one am happy to be skiing again.