Almost a World Record

schroed

• Baller
Nate almost got to three ball at Shortline Lake in Elk Grove, CA yesterday. It looked like he was only a foot or two inside it. It was pretty exciting to see him smoke 41 like it was 32 off a few times this weekend. I've never seen anyone turn 2 ball at 43 before, but now it looks like it's going to be possible to break the record.

• Baller
We have really good video of the entire ride where Nate turned two, which D3 will publish as soon as we have a chance to process it, I expect next day or two. We are working on some other video projects as well and you will see them as soon as we can...

• Baller
@alex38 his front foot needs to be outside the line past a point perpendicular to the buoy (down course from the buoy). The handle must be in his hand and he must be in "skiing position" (which means he can't be sliding on his back).

• Baller
Wow he doesn't get stood up like that outta 2 and 3 is going down. Very possible given the number shots he's getting at it. Must be attacking it in practice too given how easily he seems to run 41. Go Nate! Amazing stuff.

• Baller_
One of the skiers at a tournament here recently was in Florida for some coaching and saw Nate get around 3 in practice. Then, Nate got in the boat like nothing happened and coached. It will happen.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@klindy he also needs to have tight line and be under pull of boat in said skiing position, no? I only ask as I rounded 4 ball at a tourney with tons of speed and also tons of slack. I had enough speed in fact that I crossed the wake in skiing position post 4 ball with both hands on the handle but not under positive pull from the boat. No way I was taking that slack hit so after I crossed the wake I tossed the handle thinking that got me 4 but did not score 4 balls. Learned something that day, though glad I didn't know cuz I would have tried to hold it otherwise probably resulting in injury.

• Baller
You guys know what is amazing? 15 years from now, when multiple skiers are running 43, we will all remember when it was done first! Nate Smith may just be the Roger Bannister of our sport and I for one am so proud to be a part of what I know will be a history- making run over the next few months and maybe years!!!

• Baller
The record in 1997 was 1@43 off. 16 years later the record is 2@43 off. At this rate it will take 64 more years for 43 off to go down. 43 off is almost impossible and the few that have tried it are literally throwing caution to the wind at every turn. Right now it does look like Nate has a shot at a piece of 3 ball though. Incredible!

• Baller

The starting dock had an end course video monitor and of course I had to watch it for a few skiers when Will Bush was driving. I watched 3 skiers in a row, the boat was never off center by more than an inch, incredible driving. More importantly, Will drove for Nate on his near record so there is a good chance the boat path was as straight as a Grizzly's dick. Who's to say what he could do if the driver moved the boat a bit. I would like to see every driver who is pulling one of the big 3's---Parrish, Asher, Nate drive exactly how Will Bush does, straight down the middle. But of course if you happen to be one of those drivers reading this forum please do not be afraid to move the boat for the rest of us schmucks.

• Baller
Interesting that he told himself "no matter what, I'm not standing it up...I'll either crash or come inside three ball"....just last week all he wanted to do was get the full two...it took him only a week to change his goal and achieve it. Just a matter of time before he holds the new world record by himself, maybe another few days:)

• Baller

What blows me away are his early passes that look like he's at -28 off or -32 like all the rest of us mere mortals. Honestly, it doesn't look like he's using the same rope measuring devices as we do!

That's it! My first conspiracy theory of the year is that he's got someone on the inside swapping out ropes before and after he skis!

The guy is awesome,

Beautiful to watch

And inspiring!

Way to go Nate!

• Baller_
Call me crazy but it looks as though he overturned 2 ball. His ski went 90 to the wake. Can't believe you can say this but I think if the ski had not turned that much outa 2, 3 would have been rounded. Freeze frame it at the or just before the finish of the turn to see the 90. Or better yet, freeze it right before the tip of the ski disappears behind the ball and tell me he's not in perfect shape to round the ball in great shape. Relatively speaking.

• Baller
@Wish, I thought the same thing. No telling if he'd have made 3, but I'm amazed he got close after hooking 2 so hard. Nice one ball. **not intended as criticism, NONE of us have any idea how hard it is to turn ball 2 @ -43**

• Baller
He overturned cuz he had to pull almost all the way to 2 to get there. If he had not done that to stop the ski, he would have ended @ 4... He changes edge at almost buoy line, video 01:39.71, taking in account that the ski got to the buoy at video 01:40:08, meaning just .37 s after the change... I do not know how he managed to do that... Darfish and Coach's eye are just amazing for video analysis!

• Baller
It's crazy how he's apparently got 41 down so easily now. It looked like there were a couple of bad turns in the 41 pass where he got stood up, yet still recovers and runs the pass fairly easily. You have to think a new record is coming quick.