Cattails

LakeOneSkier

• Baller

I have quite a few cattails along my shoreline that I'd like to get rid of. A neighbor gave me a gallon of Shoreklear-Plus last year that I'd like to use but I can't find anything online about how safe this is to use in a ski lake environment.

Has anyone used this product? Am I going to end up with mutated body parts?

• Baller_
I don't believe Round-up is approved for aquatic use (fish issues) but it's sister herbicide Rodeo is. But, if it's private property it may not matter. Round-up is available anywhere. Rodeo not so much. But if permits are required, Round-up most likaly wont be approved.

• Baller
Cattails in moderate amounts are great for shore protection, but cattails that are not controlled can actually be a problem for the makeup of your lake and can actually suffocate your lake if not controlled (would probably take a huge amount in a ski lake size lake and is more likely an issue in smaller ponds). Not at our lake but in the community I work for they actually practice cattail control without chemicals by cutting the cattails under the surface of the water as they apparently will drown themselves.

• Baller

Probably 1/4 of my lake has cattails along the shore. I like the aesthetics of them and as mentioned they are excellent for erosion and even wind protection. (Yep, we are narrow) I use a spot sprayer and round up on the areas I want to keep open.

I do keep them away from the dock area for the snake issue. Even so, I have to say I don't see a huge number of them about.