I have seen the 2014 MasterCraft

Horton

• Baller

And just think...this is their least expensive, least profitable, fewest units sold boat among a stable of entries. It will, ironically, cause the most exaltation and the most gnashing of teeth, the greatest hyperbole with the most vicious of rumors, the most praise and the most bitchin', and the most enjoyable skiing countered by some miserable, lousy skiers. It is a technological marvel, only to be bloodied by some on a daily basis.

I am still amazed that the Big 3 (4?) give one hoot in heck about what skiers demand, knowing all of the above. To all the manufacturers; thank you for your persistence and dedication and, seemingly, your loss of mind, in continuing to bring wonderful products to our (most tiny) segment of the market.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I skied behind the new Prostar today, and talked to a bunch of other skiers lucky enough to be part of this release.

- The dreaded MasterCrest wake at 22 off is gone, or at least it's a LOT smaller and softer as is the 28 off version of this bump.

- I talked to a 30mph skier who is used to our club Prostars, and he described the wake at 30 mph as "feeling like little more than washboard." Skiers working their way up the speedo are going to like this boat.

- The trough at 35 off and shorter is way shallower, and there's significantly less spray.

- We have the big motor in our club boats, but they don't accelerate nearly as well as this new boat.

- The new boat is significantly quieter than the old boat but retains a wonderful V8 sound. I'd say it's as quiet as a 200, but far more "soulful," if that makes sense. In fact, I'd rate it the best sounding tournament boat ever, balancing a nice rich sound with low volume. Bull's-eye!

- Most of it's cool features have been already covered in this thread, but I'll add that it looks better in the flesh than in pictures. I wasn't too moved by the look on paper, but it looks beautiful in person. Even the pickle-fork front end, which wouldn't be my first choice, turned out to be just fine in person.

All in all, this boat is a worthwhile and significant upgrade.

• Baller

@Bulldog I was afraid someone would ask that. I returned last night from a public lake marathon of skiing 47 sets in 11 days, just in time to find my invitation to ski behind the new boat. I know ... skiing that much is just dumb! But today was supposed to by my first day of five as a volunteer for the Pro Shootout and Canadian Nationals with no skiing. Suffice it to say that I was pretty happy to make all of my deep water starts today =)

All the same, the pull was rock solid and the wakes were a non-issue. Oooohh how I wish I'd been fresh because I liked skiing behind this boat!

I can frame this another way. I own a CC200, and a CC196. Our club uses two current ProStars, and I train regularly with a coach who uses Malibu. Despite my limited and compromised experience today, I feel safe in saying that this new ProStar will reshuffle the deck.

• Baller
@skijay, how deep is PB? I am curious what depth water you were skiing in. I know with the TXI, the wake is almost non-existent and totally like butter when the water is under 4 to 4.5 feet deep. There is a little more of a wake at 5 feet and deeper.

• Baller
Nautique must have the adjustable rudder patented, if not why is it not installed? When the wife and kids drive the boat you lessen the torque for safety, when it's time to run the coarse you load it. I will never own another boat without this feature.

• Baller
i was at the pro shoot out today and saw the boat. It is very nice looking, the spray looked non existent from shore and the wake looked pretty small too. I talked to someone I knew that competed and she felt it skied very much like a 200. She really hated the 197 but feels that this boat is as good as promised. I still cant afford it

@swc5150 how about a thanks to the engineers, designers, and plug builders who do the actual hard work of doing the calculations, the modeling, and the building? The skiers do give valuable input that the engineers need to make these boats happen but they are not responsible for developing the boat beyond skiing behind it and giving an opinion. It's then up to the PD&E guys to figure out what they need into an actual product. I've spent time with all the MC team skiers and think they are all fantastic people, but give credit where it's due. I found Marcus' comment in the press release to be somewhat off putting "Engineering a better wake is less about science and numbers and more about passion, vision, dedication and experience."

So, I would like to thank the MC product development department for their hard work and long hours which have produced this great boat!

• Baller

You do realize this hull spent the majority of it's development life in Marcus's shop in chico with him cutting, bonding, moving, modifying, and then testing, right? He wasn't just a tester.

Marcus' comment was about the passion the entire team took into the project.

• Baller_
Ok, the darn thing is really growing on me as in the design. The more pics i see the better I like it. That didn't take long. Was reminded of how I felt about the 97 SN in 97 as I stared at the back of mine this morning. Commonly referred as the "bubble back" or "bath tub". That change was not well recieved for looks but then you skied behind it and Shazam!! It started lookn real good. Now when they slapped the giant "N" on the side in 2000 or whenever that was.......well that was just wrong.

@ShaneH, I was aware that it was being kept out there, and I don't want to take away from what Marcus did and huge props to him for setting John straight in the interview. As you know MC has a very good Naval Architect as well as several industrial and mechanical engineers. I know that it can be very frustrating to have your hard work be praised, but the credit is given to someone else. I just didn't want to see that group of guys contrabutions marginalized.

• Baller

Well, I have had only Nautiques since I built the lake. No doubt at all that the SN 200 was a better slalom boat, both in the wake and the driveability department than the 197.

Now comes the new MC. As per what I have seen amd read, unless price is really an issue, I guess that our new boat will be a MC...

• Administrators

@Mac

I am home now so no. I looked at it and was going to take pics but it really does not look crazy. I was expecting the bottom to be wild looking but darn it I guess simple works...

• Baller
I'll bet (hope) the trailer won't be an afterthought as it was with the early 200's. MC seems to have knocked it out of the park with this boat and I don't imagine they'll drop the ball on the trailer as Nautique did. I just picked up a 2010 200 and the only significant wear on the boat is from the darn trailer, and it aint pretty.

I have always had problems with the pickle fork wake pigs but this is a bit different for me. It's subtle enough to not be so disturbing.

I really like the fact that there's at least some photographic evidence of the R & D coming out. It's great to see that as well as all the test mules. Very, very cool! I have to give a serious shout out to the engineers and R & D team, as well as Marcus Brown. I look forward to seeing one of these in the flesh and hopefully skiing one.

• Baller_
Ok, got a look see at the Nationals. Am offically loving the boat. They seriously included things that were mentioned on BOS. Obviously other input but serveral options on that boat not mentioned yet. Like 2 removable brackets that can carry weighht for trick or to balance or load wake. Or the twin trunks that have a form fitting custom plastic bins for wet stuff or whatever. The planned twin rear seating with center opened to a EASY step over. Or the removable cover on the step that allowed easy access to rudder gear. The front cover will get a redo for a better fit and finished look. It will be lighter. Currently 80 pounds. As a side note, when i asked why someone didnt do this yrs ago, he said they did. 15yrs ago. Just not such good results. Should be able to option up to a full carbon fiber lid. Up charge of course. Lots of R&D went into long line slow speed. The ski rack is truly pure genius. Seriously functional the way it clamps and releases the ski by pressing on a foot bar. That I think will become an industry leading design. Not sure if there are awards for such forward thinking on engineering a single part like that but if there is, they WILL win. I'll post photos if I get I font of a computer. I know im forgetting something. The rep fully admitted that the 200 was a better boat. They do NOT feel that way anymore Oh and my daughter baught a MC Tshirt. We are a CC family. Well so much for family or brand loyalty. In her words " the MasterCraft is just cooler" (referring to the 200)