Breaking News: Nate 2.5@43

webbdawg99

• Baller
What an exciting time in the sport. As a skier, I have really enjoyed witnessing Nate's arrival on the scene, his approach, talent and technical model. As a coach and father of a little skier, I have found myself referencing his program, and utilizing his skiing as a model. It is really easy to be a fan of Nate and the way he skis.

• Baller_

I think Nate is capable of really shattering the record, but I would increase it by 1/2 a buoy each time if I were him to collect the sponsor bonus for each incremental increase of the record. Pro skier pay is not what it should be and these are the paychecks that can have a big impact.

Actually, if I were him I probably wouldn't have the discipline to move it in increments. I'd be too hyped about it to control myself.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
What an awesome time for this sport. I know there are statistics and contrarians that point to the decline of slalom, but to me it feels like a a bit of a resurgence. In a visit to the only ski shop in Houston last week, they were also quick to point out that slalom skis flew off the shelf this year at a rate far greater than in the past five years. They were puzzled over their lack of inventory. Big Dawg continues to be a huge draw. Boats continue to improve and manufacturers continue to invest. Slalom skis continue to improve, new brands, new sales models (ie. Mapple). The insane growth of the BOS community....And world records continue to fall!!! Go Nate!!!

The only thing that is still in the dark ages are the bindings. How is it possible that no one managed to come up with a snow-ski-safety-degree slalom bindings? I keep seeing serious injuries with all levels of slalom skiers and all types of bindings. As if the sport weren't difficult enough?

• Baller

Was lucky enough to be a tower judge for Nate's record. Great skiing. He will take this much further, believe me. Boat path looked perfect. Don't think it will be an issue.

Other great performances:

-Steve Raphael 3@39 new M6 national record

-Mike Royal broke his own world record 3 times taking it all the way to 1/2 at 41off (got to drive all of these. He and his family are a class act)

-Jay Leach 5@41 new SCR regional record

-Bailey Austin 4@38 new G3 SCR regional record (especially like this one)

There is some I'm forgetting I'm sure.

CP ran a sick 41 off today. He is far from done. Looked great and is working hard.

One of the best lakes, great drivers and unbelievably gracious host. Still one of the top places to go ski an event. Thanks to Claire and Dave for a great weekend.

• Baller_

That is just all out awesome skiing by Nate. You would think that a 1/4 would have happened first but to get around it is amazing. getting to 3 and standing up should be manageable. How long before we see 3? I never thought we would see anyone get out of 2 ball and touch 3.

Great skiing by everyone at the Ranch this weekend. Steve has been chasing that M6 record and its good to see him put it up.

Way to go Bailey

@rico it just goes to show the mutual respect they have for each other. Dave understood the need for Nate to hold his D3 Quest during the interview and Nate in return did not promote the ski verbally. That is what is so great about this sport. You have the owner of another company interviewing Nate even though it will do nothing to help sales of his ski line. Shows a true passion for the sport and not just milking it for profits.

• Baller

I was impressed that both Dave and Nate did that interview. Dave is doing a nice job covering, documenting some of the big moments in the sport. This time it doesn't happen on his ski but he still puts it out there. If it wasn't for Dave most of us wouldn't see video of WRs or Big Dawg interviews. I don't see ESPN running to cover this stuff. I appreciate that both Dave and Nate did as much as they did and I got to watch.

Horton you should start BSPN! You have a camera for "unboxing" ! You could run around to all the big tournaments, video, interview, edit and give us all the highlights with waterski and beer companies paying for your efforts and getting 2 minute commercials in return!

The Ball of Spray Programing Network braoadcast live from Newberry Springs Ba da Da Ba da Da

• Baller

It was a class interview by both guys. It IS very cool to have a ski company owner at so many tournaments documenting the performances of the skiers on his product as well as others. It is true this stuff is not making it to ESPN and I appreciate any chance to see great skiing.

(Of course I am sure Dave was saying "ya know Nate, I think you could run it on the new Nano" off camera:)

• Baller

Chances are that performance, along with Regina's 3.5 and Erika's 10180 may not get final approval/adjustment until the Worlds in a few weeks.

Slightly off-topic: there sure are quite a few late-season pending records in AWSA, especially in the 'senior' divisions. Nice going, people.