Most common skiing injuries.

skinut

• Baller

Wouldn't elbow fall under arm?

I said back (muscle) because I seem to pull it regularly but I think elbow/arm injuries are fairly common as well. Although, my elbow injuries have massively decreased since I started using the Theraband flexbar.

If you were to ask which injury is most common to you not being able to ski, I would say broken ribs with ankle injuries second.

• Baller
Too bad you can only vote for one. Ruptered achilles ('09) and dislocated shoulder ('10) were the 2 surgeries I have had as a result from skiing. Regarding shoulders, I don't take slack hits anymore, not even in tournaments. Last year I had a tournament PB beaten by 1 buoy and was on my way to 4 ball for at least a buoy and a half, but I dropped the handle at the wakes instead of trying to hold onto a big slack hit to get around 4 ball.

Add another shoulder to the list. Dislocated early August but luckily I am back skiing with a brace. All this after a L5/S1 microdiskectomy in February. Trying to treat the shoulder with aggressive rehab in an attempt to forgo surgery in the off season.

• Baller
I have fractured both ankles (same fall), fractured my proximal humerus (shoulder), strained my shoulder, sustained a concussion and sustained a severe arm contusion (arm through handle). I've been lucky and recovered fully from all the above. I have operated on several skiers with shoulder (labral tears) and knee injuries (meniscus) and one with a distal biceps tear (at elbow). I should also note that I wrote a chapter on water skiing injuries for a book years ago. Surprisingly, despite all the injuries noted in this thread, our sport is relatively safe. Like all sports though, injuries are likely underreported.

• Baller
My most recent injury was a minor proximal humerus fracture (shoulder) sustained at the Eastern Regionals this year. I am curious if anyone else has fractured their shoulder skiing. Labral tears and rotator cuff tears are much more common.

• Baller

Slalom - ankles, I've lost 10* or so of movement in my front ankle, my back is often sore, but for me it is a conditioning issue not an injury

Trick - dislocated a rib a few years ago, trick falls are the worst, headaches are common

Jump - all of the above plus pocket book and marriage... I strained a hamstring about 5 years ago and things still aren't right with the entire leg...

The wife is not a fan of the jumping although I am a much safer jumper today than when we met in college, since we met I learned that you can pass... When it came to jumping in college I was a special kind of stupid.

Since the question is most "common", skier's elbow has to be at the top of my list since it comes just about every June and doesn't leave until October. If the question was most "enduring and disruptive", the answer would be ankle. Busted mine 2006 and its still screwed up. If it wasn't for my Stealths, (and before that my Goode hardboots), I would be on the dock watching.

• Baller
@Texas6 I came around 6 at 32 off and ski slid out scoring 1/4 buoy. My arm hyperabducted (out to side above head level), and the humeral head (ball of shoulder joint) impacted the undersurface of the acromion (bone above shoulder). It caused a slight impaction fracture of the top of the humeral head where one of the rotator cuff tendon attaches. The fracture was stable and I was lucky not to tear my rotator cuff. My injury was technically a fracture, but not the typical fracture that an orthopedic doc thinks of when hearing "proximal humerus fracture." Labral tears like you had are certainly much more common in my experience evaluating patients with shoulder injuries from skiing. We sure stress our shoulders a lot in this sport!

• Baller
Heres one you should not try at home .... Hand through handle fall, strained radial nerve around the brachial plexus area in my shoulder.... ( similar to Carson Palmers Injury )14 months ago , still only have 80% ( up from roughly 50%) use of left hand ( no more guitar playing ) just now returning to working out and occasional skiing. Not bad for 25 + years of skiing though .....

• Baller

1 - Back muscle many times, in the last years have not suffer from it - usually 1 week out

2 - Rib, broke once and stayed there, my right side is lower than my left - 1 month out

3 - Neck, bad OTF, rubber double bindings - 2 months out

4 - Front knee, the cable laced the ski after a bad turn and pull my knee laterally - 1 month out

5 - Front leg, 2nd degree sprained back muscle - 2 months out, back leg out of the ski, front leg stayed a bit longer than it should - reflex/r-style

Obs: No surgery. Considering I skied about 7500 sets in the last 25 years, this is not a bad statistic

• Baller
Well, if you are going by frequency, it has to be lower back, which always gets better with rest after it goes into spasm. There are also the eight surgeries: Right shoulder rotator cuff and Labrum twice 9 years apart, same thing on left shoulder once. Right elbow twice, first bone spur related, second time pulled the triceps off. Left elbow spur that had sawed through the tendon. Right and left knee miniscus tears and repairs. Wow, when I write it all down I sound like a train wreck:)

• Baller

I guessing

#1 Lower back L-4-5 S1, I've had 4 surgeries finally successful

#2 Shoulders Both Rotator cuffs, torn bicep, torn labrium

#3 Neck Fusion C-5-6

#4 Knee Scopes on both

#5 Elbow Bursa explodes now I need the other one done

#6 Great Toe; Rods kicking it into hard shell

#7 Fingers Tendon Tears

#8 Cracked Teeth

#9 Periformis Release almost like hip replacement

#10 Hip Replacement