2014 MC test drive

eleeski

• Baller

I got to ski and drive the new MC!

First impression: It's HUGE! Like the dock rope isn't long enough. Five abreast on the seats (OK there were a couple of kids but really!). I fell getting off the trailer because the boat completely covered the fender. Tons of room inside.

Tricking: The hype has the trick wake unskiable. Absolutely not true. The wake was reasonably big at 18.5 in a deep lake. It was a bit flat - but all the new big boats are not very steep. With a little patience, the tricks were easy. The wake seemed narrow, I was happier slowing to 18 - not for the wake size but for the width. Transition to this boat by adding 1m to the rope or slowing .5mph.

At Forest's speed of 20, the wake was very narrow and rather small. It took him a couple tries for his flips and ski lines but he was able to run his sweet trick run.

Trenton's speed of 17 looked fantastic and Trent just used his time as a training set.

Apologies for not getting any slalom or jump input but the hip doctor will be mad at me for just taking an easy up and back on tricks.

Driving: The data panel is wonderful! Big enough print for my old eyes. Intuitive and easy to use. A home run.

The throttle is twitchy. It made the dock start a challenge.

Interior ergonomics were OK but the old 2011 was pretty comfortable too.

Drove tricks wonderfully. I didn't drive slalom but it felt reasonable at speed.

OK boat. I don't like the direction all the boat companies have taken towards bigger heavier boats. This is one of those boats. A trick wake just like the CC or Malibu, an allegedly nice slalom and jump pull and a challenging fit in my boathouse isn't magic. Bigger, heavier and more expensive just doesn't excite me. I was hoping for the 197 on a severe diet and austerity program - this is a long way from that dream.

The boat is a fine boat. It is still the best trick boat - but not by as much. But so much better than the hype.

Eric

@eleeski great description of the trick wake. Everyone I have been with while testing the boat had the same feeling as you, not great but definitely trickable with some speed and line length adjustment. Also the boat is wider but in fact shorter and lighter than out previous model, by about 300 lbs.

• Baller

I also got to drive the new MC this weekend in Bako. The boat was brought in for the INT's this week and is not the final product. It handled nicely in th course but needs two hands to get around the turn Islands. I agree it is a big boat, I have had a 197 and now have a 200, this boat

seems big. There is still work to be done on this boat, but wake looked great at 34 mph.

Boat looks great, I would have like to have the drivers seat a little higher.

• Baller
@chris Reps at Nats and Expo said this boat weighs in @ 3300 lbs which would make it the same as the published weight of the 197 (still pretty impressive considering the size increase). Has the weight been revised/more accurately determined to be 3000 lbs?

• Baller
MC has taken to now rating boat weight with all options, rather than dry weight with no options. So the 3300 they have communicated to some is a boat with tower and speakers, full interior package, bow cover, butt warmers, etc. I believe they're even including the cover in the weight rating now.

@Roger the boat tracks much better than our current model. I feel like our current boat tips and slides a little at the end of the turn, the new boat has much more hold. The new boat takes very little input from the wheel to hold centerline. All of the drivers at the Trophy Lakes Labor Day slalom tournament were very impressed. One of them a Centurion owner and another a 200 owner.

@Wolfeie chances are the boat you drove at the INT was the one that has been towed all over the continent since August. The ease of steering will definitely be there in the production boats. Will Bush and I preferred the lower seat placement for a better line of sight while driving slalom. But that being said seat height is a driver preference that is very much determined by what someone normally drives and their size.

@Inboardfix the weight I was referring to is basic stock boat, as @ShaneH mentioned, which is the same as listed at mastercraft.com

The development team is fired up for people to see this boat in person.

Got to drive and check out the new mastercraft last weekend... Its is awesome!!! Flat wake for 36 shortline, handles way better, more inside room, better dash, nice adjustable driver seat and super simple display. A Slalom skiers dream..Big improvement! looking forward to having more sets behind it.

• Baller

@Horton and @Jordan No black boats, ever! I hate Stan's black boat that now just looks dirty despite ridiculous amounts of wiping.

@richarddoane Nice pics. Keep it simple inside - nice engine and bimini but I will never use a ski rack at my lake. Or fancy carpet and upholstery. The boat I drove was wonderfully simple too - and not black.

@MrJones There were no weight racks but there were weights scattered in the boat. We were three standard adults worth of weight on the seats plus 200 pounds of weights, half in front and half in back. They were somewhat skewed to the passenger side - probably reflecting some adjustments still needed to the hull.

@Chris_Eller The boat is a lot heavier than the old 1976 Nautique I trailered across the state with my Ford Ranger. That was a much easier trip than the short drive to Imperial with my 2011 MC. 2400 lbs needs to be the target - unless gas goes up even more and cars get even smaller. And speaking of gas, any data on fuel burns in the new boat?

Eric

• Baller

@6balls The noise level for me was completely normal. My boat (hey, I kind of like that) had a 5.7 (I think). It appeared to sit high because the floor was lower? There was lots of room for engine access and really easy access to the drain plug - nice!

@swc5150 I think that port is to access the master bedroom.

Eric

• Baller
FYI........ it's only 1 inch wider than a 200. MC's production process for their hull shell affords them the ability to have narrower gunnel tops. Which gives the appearance of being wider due to more room. But it's not too much wider overall than it's competition.

Those jump videos are the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time. My admin is wondering why I'm sitting in here twitching like a galvanized frog. I challenge any current or former jumper to watch that without your knees twitching. Being old sucks.

• Baller_
Has anyone seen anything about an optional wraparound windshield in place of the new bimini-friendly and side-accessible version on the boat now? I thought I heard that would be a possible option. But, it didn't look like it on the website build-your-own pages.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
The statement that was made was that windshield was the same as the 214. Which you could order with a standard wrap around or that one. The Order sheet didn't have the wraparound for the prostar, though. For what it's worth, Buildaboat doesn't have all the options yet on it. That doesn't mean they're not available.

• Baller_
@swc5150: if I recall correctly, that is an engine flush port, but it was not actually plumbed at the time I got to ski the boat, so it was simply a bulkhead fitting (which means you could do several things with it if you wanted).

• Baller
I got to ski behind the boat and drive it for about 3 hours this past weekend. Liked everything I got to do in and behind it. That new touch screen "command center" just flat out rocks! I didn't ski my best behind it, but it was round one behind a new boat, new water, you all know how that goes sometimes.