Sometimes We Forget !

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Somebody recently asked me, why I water ski, my reply, I was determined to run a certain pass and achieve a certain level of skill, that I had set out for myself, to achieve that goal, which I considered would make myself worthy, and proud to stand on the dock with others, we spend time chasing orange things in the waters, we even push the limits and try to go round them even when all is lost, we are prepared to risk the possibility of that nasty injury, in pursuit of our goals, yes we do get a buzz when we get it right.

Sometimes We Forget ! that we should be doing it to get wet and have fun, I thank the person who asked me that question, He was right and I was wrong, it should always be fun !

• Baller

@Stevie & @BlueSki you are absolutely right in my opinion. I can think too often I walk away, disappointed about not skiing to a certain level and forget I do this for fun. I still have my family, health and a whole bunch of other things to be thankful for.

I recently read some comments from Corey Vaughn which really hit home: "Some of the most fun sets to coach are first time skiers (on two) or a first time slalom set. The sense of pride and accomplishment are so great that the joy just radiates. It is even powerful for the coach’s mind/body/spirit. I just want to tell these people to continue to enjoy each step from here. Even the steps backwards allow you to take a better path forward if you allow yourself to see that path. What some people see as the ultimate achievement – to run 35 off – is actually where I find the largest population of grumpy, dissatisfied skiers. "

I think Corey is saying, and I agree, there is a point where we take ourselves and our skiing too seriously and we forget how to have fun, relax and just ski.

• Supporting Member

It's certainly true that sometimes we need something to force us to regain perspective. But I also want to present a more complicated narrative:

I am grumpy and dissatisfied a lot.

To a casual observer it would be easy to assume this implies I am not enjoying the sport and have forgotten how to have fun.

I completely disagree. If you want to have pure fun for a short while, I hear a lot of recreational drugs can do that for you. If you want to get true long term enjoyment out of something, it has to be more than "simple fun." In my case, challenge is a requirement for any sort of long-term fun. Accomplishments mean something in part because I had to work to get there, and my will was tested by failure, grumpiness, and dissatisfaction.

I love skiing right now as much as I ever have, even though I have been roughly stuck in the same spot for 10+ years and my tournament results have been disappointing in the last two seasons. But every year I learn some things -- and forget some other things. The challenge is ever-present and the fun is enormous over many years. I am already looking forward to giving it another go next year!