What is best for beginner: INT or USA GrassRoots (f)

I5boi

So along with all of the chatter about existing and new rules and getting new competitors involved, what is a better event to enter for a complete newbie?

The USA website has almost too much info to confuse a newbie and the website probably needs a complete overhaul (IMO). The grassroots type F looks to be a good place to start and there appears to be many events to attend in our area. Would this be a good option for a 40 yr old? All the pictures are of little kids that will probably kick my a**.

INT has a much better website that as a newbie, I can understand. Oregon isn't currently active but Wa State is and it's many of the same places for USA so location doesn't appear to matter much.

So which format/sanctioning body is better for the beginner. I'm looking just for slalom and have no course experience and little understanding of all rules/by laws, etc. Which format gets the most water time and friendly instruction about all things one needs to know? Which will be a better long term solution to start with if I end up doing for many years to come?

• Baller_

we have a number of AWSA events in WA state that have added slalom groups for beginners. Look for a class "N" or "F" in conjunction with the class C event. At our Broho tournies, we tow the novice group between rounds, guarantee them 4 passes per round with a drop at each end, and reduce the entry fee as well. Here's a couple links :

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-TournamentsHQ.asp?pvar=TourInfo&TourID=14W082&olrds=enabled&rg=1&sl=on&tr=on&ju=on&wb=&ws=&wu=&bf=&kb=&hy=&sExclude=

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-TournamentsHQ.asp?pvar=TourInfo&TourID=14W104&olrds=enabled&rg=1&sl=on&tr=on&ju=on&wb=&ws=&wu=&bf=&kb=&hy=&sExclude=

send me a PM and I can give you more info

• Administrators

@I5boi

When you say you have "no course experience " if you mean that you have never run a pass , you might find any tournament discouraging. Few skiers make all 6 balls in there first 20 or even 50 tries. Let me know where you live and I will see if I can find a Baller close to you that can help you get started. A little coaching and mentorship will make get you there a lot faster. The Ballers are here to help.

Things like class F are a good idea but as far as I know they are few and far between in most areas. Since we already have class C events all over the country all summer long I am not sure why we need a separate event for new skiers.

Best thing to do is find a skier who has been around to show you the ropes for your first class C. USAWS/AWSA class C events cost less than INT and normally you will get 3 rounds plus better drivers and conditions.

• Administrators

@I5boi I just looked you up you are not that far from @richarddoane aka Zapp!

If Zapp! is too far away to ski with, he knows everyone in that area and he is mostly trustworthy.

@richarddoane can you find @I5boi a buddy?

Thanks @horton & @richarddoane. The Wa State INT schedule isn't published yet but most likely would be just fine to start with. I have skied a course before but it has been a long time. I should have written "no event experience". Thank you to those of you who sent PM's.

This is one example of what a new participant has to figure out before they can sign up. Thanks BOS!

• Baller

@I5boi Get with @richarddoane, the Broho Dudes and Dudette's put on a great tournament in May with a Grass Roots round in there. Very supportive group for newcomers, killer site and an ace crew running it (Doane, the Goodman's et all).

INT is a bit of a circus IMHO. At least half the time for wakeboards. Not a bang on wakeboarders (though they do use Lake Destroyer boats) but time that is a whole additional round of skiing at a slalom class C.

• Baller

Ask questions before you travel to any tournament offering F/Novice/GR rounds.

Find out:

How many N/F/GR skiers typically participate and how many are already signed up?

How many Rounds does the N/F/GR class get?

When will those rounds occur? (i.e. after C rd 1)

Do you have to be present at the start of the day or can you arrive a little later, closer to your first round?

Is there a Mulligan/free fall/miss per round?

Is there a minimum number of passes per round?

Clarify the USAWS fees and the Tournament Entry fee...

Is there shaded areas on site? Is there seating on the dock? Or should you bring yoru own canopy and chairs?

Is there food for sale for lunch or bring your own?

That's the basics for a new skier or for attending a tournament at a new site.

• Baller

They are a little different at least in New England. When we first started skiing tournaments we went to both. If you struggle to ski a full pass or want to ski the mini-course the INT events are better. If you are working on a full pass and miss your opener on occasion I think tournaments with a Fun or Grass Roots class might be better. At the events I have been to INT events get you on the water once and most of the AWSA events are multi-round so you get multiple times to get wet.

My experience is that the people are great at both and there is frequently some overlap between the events. I found everyone very welcoming at both INT and AWSA events.

What Chef23 said. I have participated in both. At its onset, I felt INT had some issues with providing quality rides- I think that has become a non-factor. In addition to the above remarks, if any family members are wake boarders/knee boarders et al- INT has events they will be able to enter and have fun. Most AWSA tournaments these days are not 3 event, and tricks and jump are not an area that novices are likely to want to try- the frustration level in slalom is high enough!