Zero upgrade dilema

501Brandon

I have an 07 LXI Silver Edition that currently has PP with Z-Box... I will likely get rid of this boat in the fall/spring and buy some ones promo boat. So my question is would YOU make the upgrade knowing the boat is likely gone and would you feel like you got enough use out of it in 1 season? I know this is a vague and very debatable subject.

My thoughts are if a fella was shopping/choosing between boats around the same price/year range and mine was equipped with ZO would that be the deciding factor? Again I know this is very opinionated but there is a ton more boat buy/sale experience on this forum then I will ever have...

• Baller

ZO rocks! You will love the way it skis. It is worth it for just that.

You are unlikely to get your dollar investment back. Your boat will sell faster - lots! But add ons rarely pay off.

I can't remember when the new hull came out. If your year is the current hull, an exemption with likely be granted to be able to use your boat in a tournament. Very valuable to the college tournaments at least.

One final problem is that you might want to keep your old boat. No sweet new boat smell.

Eric

• Baller

Kirk is getting desperate. For the college tournament, he probably could get the exemption. The 2011 is still in date for class C. Should be an easy exemption if the 2007 is the same as the 2011.

@501Brandon‌ Where are you and can you get it done and delivered to Bakersfield by Saturday? @horton won't give his new boat to the college kids (some excuse about not having the boat yet). Funny how the highest density of ski boats in the world is there and the team can't get a boat for the college tournament (which generates most of the new and young blood in the sport).

Eric

• Baller

@ntx‌ I think they have a PP 07 Malibu approved at least for tricks. Centurion will be there Saturday only. They will be OK as long as SDSU's old boat and trailer survive the long drive. They are actually quite resourceful. I now understand why SDSU was so grateful for my boat a few weeks ago. Kirk is a bit reluctant to have Dad tow 6 hours up and down the Grapevine with a little Ford Ranger with a corroded old trailer. They'll make it work. But a few more ZO boats would make it easier.

The next generation high income earners haven't started earning yet while still in college. Plus they'd better be very high earners to afford the new boats.

Eric

• Baller

I am guessing the upgrade to ZO will be several thousand dollars? That is money you will never see. If you get PP SG ZBox dialed in, you will be fine for the year. Especially if you are selling in the fall. You'll find another skier that doesn't care if it is PP SG ZBox or ZO. Just my 2 cents.

If you were keeping it, then it would pay out over several years to not be a very big deal.......

• Baller

@501Brandon I have the exact same boat, 2007 LXI Silver Edition, former Promo and upgraded from PP standard to Zero Off in June 2013. Great upgrade and then you don't need to get a new promo, you will basically have upgraded the boat to the 2011 LXI specs.

However if you already have PP StarGazer with Z-Box all dialed in, the difference for the driver and skier should be negligible. I've driven and skied behind several Z-Box Nautiques and they feel very similar to ZO where as PP regular now feels a little soft and spongy to me, not bad just not my favorite anymore.

If you have your heart set on a newer boat then I'd pass on the upgrade. If you really just want ZO then do the upgrade and keep the boat for 3 or 4 more years and enjoy the consistency and precision of the ZO pull.

Assume $3k for ZO, new ECM chip (plug and play) and installation. Doug Moss did my conversion.

Thanks again for all the input fellas! Its great to get different opinions and view points. I don't always think of every detail or "what if" so its good to see what other folks would do or think of. I looked into this when I bought the boat but at the time the price quote was almost 2K higher. PP with Z was around 1500 and I was quoted 3300.00 for ZO (ZO 1600, Magic harness from Malibu 500$ and an ECM from Indmar for 1200.00). Turns out this "Magic harness" (which turns out to be a jumper to prevent splicing wires so I am told) is not that much nor is the ECM. This didn't include the install fee. Not sure if the prices came down or what. I knew I wouldn't be pulling any C or higher events so didn't think it would be much of an impact... Oh how Hind Sight is a dirty son of a gun...