Season is over. Need neck surgery.

MarkM

• Baller

My season is over. I have some damaged disks in my neck have lost about 75% strength in my left bicep and left deltoid. This all began in April. I treated it with some prednisone, time off the water, physical therapy, and a cervical epidural on 5/1. The epidural did work at first. Pain went away the very next day and my strength began to recover rapidly. I was cleared to ski lightly so I resumed light skiing on 5/17. I ran some 28's and 32's over and over to rebuild some strength and test my body. 2 weeks later 38's and things looked really good. With tournaments around the corner I wanted to test a bit further and give 39 a feel. It was good. Took no hits and threw the handle if any slack was present or if the pass required any scrapping. Again, felt great.

Later that evening I felt some soreness in my left trap. The next day noticed soreness in my left deltiod, uh-oh.

All of a sudden at 2am I'm in the ER with unbearable pain. I was treated and released later that day. The next morning the pain came roaring back and back to the ER I went. 4 IV drugs later I went home.

So I met with the neurosurgeon yesterday for the 2nd time. My C4/C5 is the problem disk and my C5/C6 doesn't look good either.

I have been advised to have a 2 level ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion). I have researched Artificial Disk Replacement but the data has not been around long enough to risk that option. I will be meeting with at least 2 more neurosurgeons for additional opinions.

At this point in time, I will have the 2 level ACDF and will be out at least 6 months.

This winter I trained in the gym harder than ever, skied throughout the winter as usual, and ate a 100% clean diet. By April I was skiing my best ever.

I'm incredibly disappointed but I'll to do what it takes and will be back next season.

I appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.

Thanks guys!

• Baller

Sorry to hear that Mark. My friend had that long ago and was able to get back the following season. He said it just left him not able to bend his neck or turn and look over his shoulder like he used to before the surgery.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Baller
Before you get fused, check into the artificial disk replacement. Until last year you had to go to Germany or Australia to get multiple level artificial disks, but the FDA approved 2 level replacement late last year. I know two people who have had two level fusions. The loss of range of motion and cushion put pressure on other levels and they never fully recovered. My mother in law had a single level fusion and she fully recovered rather quickly. My advice is for you to lots of research on your own. Best of luck.

• Baller

@lottawatta Yes, I have been researching artificial replacement. At this time there is only one brand approved for dual disk. The problem is that the artificial route is so new in the US that there is not enough long term data available about replacements. I'd hate to have one implanted only to find out 5-10 years later it failed or caused some crazy problems inside my neck.

However, I'll be meeting another surgeon who does artificial replacement next week.

What do you mean they never fully recovered?

• Baller

They never fully recovered in that they are not able to do what they did pre-surgery. One still has pain, numbness, and loss of strength. The other has trouble swinging a golf club like he used to.

I was scheduled for a 3 level fusion and cancelled it at the last minute. I have done a ton of research on this issue and If I get to where I can't function, I will consider getting the M6 (spinal kinetics) in Germany - even thought it won't be covered by insurance if I go out of country.

• Baller
Also, The Germans have WAY more experience at multi level replacements. I had a very well respected surgeon with thousands of fusions and hundreds of single level replacements under his belt tell me (off the record of course) he would have to think long and hard for a reason not to go to Germany if he needed his neck done.

• Members
Mark, I had something similar with my neck in late 2009. I couldn't sleep at night for more than an hour before I would wake with the feeling of a knife stuck into my deltoid. I quit skiing and only did lifting with 15lb or less weights (just to keep things moving but without stressing the neck). I purchased a stiff tempurpedic pillow that held my neck straight when I slept on my side and next to taking a break from skiing, getting the proper pillow was the best thing I did. It took several months, but one day I woke up and the pain was gone. I stayed away from skiing for about 8 months total, including 3 months after I was pain free, then stayed at 32 for a long time when I did start skiing. I didn't ski any tournaments in 2010 and didn't ski 38 again until shortly before the 2011 Regionals (which you won). I still occasionally feel a twinge in the right trap that shoots up the right side of the neck and back off when I do. Other than that, it feels good, as the pain and weakness haven't again started going down the shoulder to the arm. Point being, I stayed away from the surgery (I was scared of the potential problems) and so far it has worked out for me. Either way you go, I hope you recover and can get back on the water pain free.

• Baller

@markm I'm post-op day #1 same 2 levels ACDF and back home. Feeling pretty good was just out on the dock dreaming in the sun for a few moments. Taking good drugs and nearly pain free...up and around since 8:30 a.m. and had nice omelette breakfast n snack so far for lunch....not that hungry yet given not much activity.

I've got a 10 lb weight restriction for the next 4 weeks, soft collar not for support but to remind me not to turn/flex/extend my neck much. He says I can do recumbent bike or exercise bike no arm movements, and that I can do 5 lb hand weights and do a bazillion curls etc...just nothing heaving enough where I may strain on muscle involved and tighten up my neck.

If all goes well 3-4 months he tells me I'm as solid as a rock back there. I have some post-op pain that's different than my pre-op pain/weakness/fasciculations that are all gone.

Shoot me a p.m. if you want, happy to talk things over. My spinal stenosis in this case was severe enough that a hard fall could be disastrous without stabilization...every case is different.

• Baller

I had c6/C7 fusion done 2.5 years ago, after rupturing disk and front ligament (OTF at the wake).

You can pm me or write to the email below for more details.

rodrigo dot andai

at

gmail.com

• Baller
Tuesday I'll be going for another epidural to take the pressure off this nerve. Hopefully relieving the pain and restore some strength in my arm. Ill be meeting with a few more surgeons this week.

• Baller

Hope for a fast and sucessfull recovery!

I am not native in English so I did not got all the medical parts.

However, you maybe might get some help from the Mckenzie method?

Just Google it and you will find the method and also books

I had recently lower disc problems and used the method and can now ski with only minor back problems.

• Baller
@thager thanks, just back from the gym. My son lifted on his own, I did some light leg machines doing presses/extensions/flexions and calves. Did about 15 minutes on recumbent bike. Took a walk with my wife this a.m., had a little nap in there as well. It will be hard but necessary to be patient as I anticipate feeling quite good in a few weeks but having to wait a long time for good bone fusion in the spine. Doc really warned me not to screw it up understanding my basic personality.

• Baller

Wow, guys... @MarkM, @6balls, @ral. My neck is all messed up (arthritic fusion) from Ankylosing Spondilitis, but I love this sport too much to stop. I wear a barefooter's neck brace for added (false) security. I also let go when things get really scary.

@MarkM, @6balls, I wish you both a speedy, safe, full recovery!

Mark,

I had multi-level ACDF C3-4 & C6-7 April 2013. I had three of the best surgeons I could find, all agree with the procedure. I am pain free, didn't lose any mobility. If anything gained mobility. Recovery was easy, compared to the unbelievable chronic pain. Pain meds for a week. Aspen Collar for 60 days. Followed doctors recovery instructions. I too was told NOT to screw around. By almost everyone, how did these people know me?

This is Spine surgery and my 100% recovery was completely up to me.

I don't ski competitively, just a happy free skiing nut. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Stay positive and everything will be fine. God speed

Dave

• Baller
I was two weeks post-op on Thursday, tomorrow back to work. Just got done pulling a buddy in the course. Was in gym earlier for 30'' recumbent bike, one hundred forty 10 lb curls, 100 tricep extensions on light weight, heavy leg press/extensions/curls/calves. Did some super light shoulder and back stuff.