Chet Raley M5 record 4@41

MrJones

• Baller

Andy and Regina have gotten a lot of press for their skiing this past weekend. I want to be sure people take notice of Chet's new record. I hate to keep saying this, but if you didn't see him it's hard to appreciate. He was absolutely RUNNING 41 on that pass. It was not like he was getting later and squeaked it out. Talking to him after he said the thought going to 4 was "get the full buoy, not a half". A split second later the thought was he should have finished the pass. CP and Andy were the only guys to have better scores on the weekend.

Chet is a super nice guy and great coach. It is an inspiration for me to see him getting BETTER at 57 years of age. He preaches low load skiing technique which is something that my fragile back certainly needs. He explains things in overall terms that get you buying into a concept/program instead of individual mechanical thoughts. (Although these are needed at times) If you get a chance to get some coaching by Chet do it.

• Baller

I'd just like to add besides being 57 years old, Chet is only 5' 11" on a tall day. We laid the rope out at 41 off on the beach one day, and he had to lie on the ground fully extended to get his ankles out past the buoy line. It looked impossible.

Before moving to Florida, I made five long trips over one winter to ski with Chet. He's an inspirational passionate coach, and it's no wonder so many of his students have gone on to skiing greatness. Congratulations Chet! Fabulous!

• Baller

Amazing skiing. I don't know if everyone appreciates what a shorter guy has to do to run 38 and shorter.

If you ever get a chance to watch a "short" guy tackle 39 from and end course viewpoint, then compare to a "tall" guy, you ought to. I watched a 5'9" guy run mid 39 at my last tournament at our lake and he basically disappeared behind the handle at 38 and 39. Amazing stuff.

• Administrators
@matthewbrown the worst thing about Chet is that he was famous as a trick coach long before anyone knew he could even slalom. (he is the only man to ever get me to do a legit SLBB )

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton isn't it also true that he coached wakeboarders back in the day, and is the namesake of the famous 'Air Raley' (wakeboarder's "superman" trick)? I think the story is he and Darin Shapiro were playing around at Ski Rixen (the old cable skiing park north of Fort Lauderdale) when Shapiro invented that trick.