Adjusting ski for extremely shallow water

dtm

Anyone have some advice for adjusting ski for a really shallow site? I skied at a lake that has an average depth in the course is under 3'. (the bottom is very mucky, so injury is unlikely). The water is very warm/soft, but the ski felt very resistant to turning on the off-side.

• Baller_

1. Check fin for glob of mud affecting turns.

2. Paint ski and bindings hunter orange for visibility if you should become embedded headfirst into the bottom.

I'm not really sure what else to try, but good luck.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

That's a tough one. Skis ride really differently in water that shallow and the common results are blowing out the tail in turns and difficulty in turning since the ski rides higher. It's definitely harder to ski in.

I would opt for a little more knee bend through the turn and carrying the handle longer before releasing. I've found that focusing on fundamentals of technique will provide a better result than trying to tune a ski for different water conditions.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I read an article once that said that there was less support in shallow water, and evidenced by the old Pro Tour in Grand Rapids Michigan, where one buoy was in about 3 foot of water, at best, and almost everyone blew the tail out at that buoy, (I assume they have good technique and body position), I would say that fin and binding adjustments would be needed to get the tip up and tail deeper.

Along those lines, I would tell you to try:

Bindings back on hole.

Less tip.

More Depth.

Move the fin forward a little.

Of course, the photo above was an attempt at humor. I don't recommend trying them behind a boat.

I don't think I would ski in 3 foot of water, but if it is all you got..

• Baller
@E_T - sort of... One of the lakes where I ski was going dry. It got to the same level as described above (3ft, with 1ft of muck). It took some practice, but eventually I could get up with my ski mostly sideways, just a bit past a 45 degree angle. As soon as the boat is really pulling you through the water, you point the tip forward and tuck up your ankles and knees to keep the ski shallow. Stay there for longer than normal before you push up.

• Baller

I would not run a boat above idle in less than 4 feet of water. I did ski in shallow water once. I was skiing on the Cuyahoga River in Monroe Falls Ohio in 1996. Ball 1 going downstream was in 3 feet of water. The bottom was very muddy. I took a fall on the opposite side where I skipped across the water and ended up on shore at ball 2. I was skiing 36 MPH at the time. It was muddy so I did not get hurt.

• Baller
@dtm, I didn't know you ski at our site at Utah Lake. We are almost to the point of skiing ike @AB. I can't help with your settings, but I have certainly learned how to get up in 2 feet of water with both feet in my boots, lay the damn thing down on its side, and replace your swimsuit every month!

Ski (and towboat) rides higher- sort of an amplified salt water effect. If you want a set-up JUST for those conditions- what @AB recommended ought to work to keep the tail from blowing out. The engineer types could explain the 'compression' (not really but can't think of the right word...water is sort of difficult to compress...) effect of the ski lifting and skiing 'shallower'.

Thanks for the responses. I feel as if the ski is "lifted"...more the front of the ski than the tail. I know that boats will ride higher (and throw a smaller wake) in shallow water. My inclination was to make adjustments that would drive more of the front of the ski in the water and hold the tail at the finish. I tried moving the fin back and a little deeper which worked OK, but I think I need even more tip pressure. Going to try a F binding move forward next.

For the offside I think you might be on the right track trying to get a bit more ski in the water. Rather that moving the fin back more, you might try added a bit more length (add leading edge). If your not having an issue blowing out the tail, you could try reducing the fin depth.

The warmth of the water should help counter act the shallowness in terms of tail depth. How does the ski turn at other, deeper sites?

When I have skied sites that have varied depth (ie a buoy that is significantly shallower than the rest of the course), it was important to approach a bit more patient and not force the turn to avoid a blow out. Like skiing on really cold water, as soon as you try to push the ski to finish, your done.