Parenting advice for the Intergalactic Leader.

Wish

• Baller_

Well, it was mentioned on the "Introducing..." thread. Now it's time for a little fatherly advice....and it's wide open.

Truly a thread that can be revisited over the years... decades. I'm sure the Great One will have many questions as time marches on. This thread should be a great comfort in times of need and filled with sound advice. ;-)

My advice...enjoy the ride, it goes WAY faster then you can imagine.

• Baller

Always keep mouth shut while changing diapers...even with a girl. Trust me.

And you'd be surprised how far they can crap from the middle of a room at 2 am...and at how quickly your wife might throw a towel over any that hit the bed and go back to sleep.

• Baller
As a dad to three teenage girls I suggest that no time is too soon to prepare yourself for the day your little princess makes a seemingly overnight transformation into something else. I also have a great big black Maglite torch and a jar of Vaseline that I like to show each new teenage boy that comes sniffing around.

• Baller

A friend told me, and they were right, that it is a very short time that they will be young, so do all the extra stuff with them no matter how tired you are or how busy life becomes...

My daughter heads off to university this fall and I can honestly say that I am very glad that I went to all of those figure skating and dance competitions, that I taught her to waterski, that I drove her to and from parties, that I made ice rinks....trust me, it goes fast.

• Baller

Wing it is good, but just love her. I have a son and a daughter, and have learned that, no matter what, just love them. My experience with each has been drastically different. There are things that I wish I could change, but sometimes, all you can do is love them, and make sure they know that.

You don't need it yet, but attached is an application that you can provide to potential suitors in the future. I like to introduce myself to them by showing them my concealed weapons permit...and letting them know I may be armed at any time.

Enjoy it, @Horton

• Baller
The best advice I ever received with baby maintenance (perhaps this was marital advice) was to set the bar low. A friend had twins, so he had to help considerably with both babies. When baby 3 came earlier than they would have planned, he was fully taking care of twin 2-year-old girls but was in deep trouble for not helping with the new baby like he did with the twins. Thus, be the fun parent. That pays off big time when one parent needs to entertain and distract while the other addresses the business end of an atomic diaper.

• Baller_
Water skiing.....hmmm. Ok. My daughter started out on my shoulders at 18mths hanging onto my hair while I rode jumpers. Oh.. and infant car seat fit snugly between the pylon and the passenger seat. There...water skiing.

Don't let her ski till she begs to do it. Make her quit before she's tired. Only let her ski on warm days in warm water until she is hooked good. Remember, for girls, the gear has to match. Be the house, and dock, where the kids hang out. Make sure she sees the joy, not just the missed ball. After that, all you can do is hope she inherited the defective gene. If its not there, its just not there, and that is just fine too.

• Baller
@toddL I would double awesome that post if I could. I posted above and would add that it's exceptionally important to communicate/discuss issues with one's spouse and thus be on the same page presenting a united parental front at all times.