Kids Slalom - One Hand Turns

Texas6

• Baller
I've got an eleven year old junior skier who is just starting the course. He's consistently getting through 21mph at 15 off. I was curious if any of you had a theory on when the best time is to begin releasing his outside arm and attempting a one handed turn? I've heard conflicting theories on the subject and thought I would poll the community. Thx in advance!

• Baller_
I would like to see some opinions as well. Hopefully some pro coaches will chime in. I'm the same situation with my daughter. Have no idea at what speed or line she should start letting go.

• Baller
@Texas6, I took my 11 year-old up to a clinic in Idaho last summer with Terry Winter, and his advice was consistent with @Chef23. The speed is slow enough that it is much easier to control the slack. Terry gave great advice on both the one-handed turns as well as a monster wake that is created at such a slow speed. It was basically that if they can learn to reach the balls with both hands and then get in a proper stacked position over that huge wake, look at how much easier it will be for them once the wake gets smaller and they have the added advantage of the extra reach one hand gives. My two cents

When my kids started to shorten the rope, I knew it was time to release and turn with a single hand. It is a hard concept to get right off but they do naturally progress. What we did was line up a few buoys in the yard and walked them through it. They didn't like it at first because they couldn't ski as well, but after about a week, they were getting new PB's.

Good luck.

• Baller
Not that anyone would necessarily recommend it @Texas6‌, but there was a girl at the U-21 World Championships that I believe ran into -35 or deeper skiing two handed and I know that Aaron Larkin can run -35 @ 36mph two handed, so it's probably okay to let whatever helps your little ripper enjoy skiing the most be a consideration too.

• Supporting Member
I'll second @SkiJay in that I don't think there is a particular "right moment" and that when the kid wants to try it is probably the most important factor. If they get all the way to attempting -28 without ever wanting to try the drop, then I guess I'd push a little harder to make the change at that point.

• Baller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IHASjfqnBY

Video is my son first time making the course at Chet Raley's site. Chet had him reaching before he actually made all 6. His theory was that we shouldn't have them work at something they will not be doing later. This was 3 years ago I believe, he ran his first 28 off at 34 mph last saturday. Proud Papa. Gotta love watching these kids progress!