1-ball monster all of a sudden

jhughes

• Baller

Came back from a week off the course which included a bunch of free-skiing, etc. Typically free-skiing does not really penalize my course skiing but something was up yesterday morning. 1-ball monster took me down 4X in a row on my opener after which I threw my ski as far as I could and hopped back into the boat. Looking at the video everything looks pretty solid up until I fall over in the turn, most likely unbalanced and too narrow. Fin settings are still correct so it wasn't that.

Anybody else go from a great season, all cylinders firing, to "can't get past 1-ball in your opener"? This would be like a golfer not even being able to get the ball off the tee on the first hole all of a sudden. Cruel sport!

• Baller
Could also have something to do with the fact that I'm still so sore from working out on Tuesday that walking is even a problem. That's what I get for letting up on CrossFit too! @RAWSki‌ great idea there. If the same thing happens next set that's what I'm doing.

• Baller
It happens. Change something up to take your mind off the 1-ball monster. You may be looking AT the ball versus before it. For me freeskiing - while loads of fun - didn't help my course skiing. Probably a result of not getting wide enough on the boat while freeskiing. Hope the 1-ball monster goes away real quick!

• Baller
Joel, I think you are just sore and doing something funky. I would make sure your body feels good (I had one of those days today) and do what @RAWSki said and just get into a pass. Once you do that I think you will be fine.

• Baller
@jayski‌ it was a very pathetic attempt since I was floating in the water. I think I moved back just about as far as the ski went forward! As such I gave it a little more action once I got onto the platform. I was about as mad as I've ever been while skiing. I don't expect to run shortline every time out but I do at least expect to get around 1-ball once in 4 tries!

• Supporting Member

Ok, barely on topic, but one of my favorite stories (and you'll soon see why it's related):

I grew up skiing a slalom course -- sort of. Unbenounced to us, it had become very narrow -- think Jim Michaels narrow. We also had a horse-power limit of 90, so even my wimpy technique could pull the speed down a lot. Oh, and we were using a bridle so the rope was 4 feet longer than it should have been.

So I show up at The Swiss Ski School in roughly 1991. At this point I probably haven't skied slower than 32 (max speed of our boat!) in several years. I typically run "-35" at "32" and once or twice I've made it through "-38". But obviously this is a very unfamiliar setting, so I ask to start at 32/-15.

Crash at 1 ball. Ok, rust shaken off.

Crash at 1 ball. Hm, I must be nervous or something.

Crash at 1 ball. Ok, this is getting really silly, I better slow down to 30mph to not waste the poor coach's time.

Crash at 1 ball. Um, how 'bout 28mph?...

I may have even crashed one more time, but I did get through a 28mph pass in that first set.

In some ways, I mark this as the moment that my true addiction began. If I was THAT bad at this sport that I had been my lake's king of for years, then my only option was to spend the rest of my life to get as good at it as I could!! :)